Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 with the factory alarm, it doesn't recognise the key fob anymore. I tried the spare fob with the same result. All I get are flashing blinkers and no start, not even a click. I tried running in circles with my hands in the air, it didn't help. Hearty cursing and kicking the rear tire didn't do anything either. In desperation, I put a charger on the battery, but it doesn't seem to be down. I've now reached the limit of my diagnostic ability's and could use some advice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Noel
4,605 Posts
Have you tried putting a new battery in the FOB?

Only 34 degrees here, I just got in from a ride :angeldev:

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I let the battery charge for a bit and it started. Seems I should be keeping it on a tender.
Taxman, I don't think there is a battery in the fob, the only way I can see to open it is with a hammer, and I've had poor results with that in the past.

Is whatever the thing is that senses the fob so touchy that a low battery will stop it from working?

Edit: Well damn, there is a battery in the fob. I remember asking the dealer about that when I picked up my bike, the service manager told me it was the same sort of setup used in a smart key, and that there was no power source in the fob. Hopefully a fob battery and a tender will solve all my problems.

·
03 A
1,506 Posts
Rick,
I got my battery tender from Kmart for about $18. I still have the orig battery on my 03.
Considering it's just sitting in the garage most of the time.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
don't put a new battery in the "spare" FOB, just store the batter next to it instead. I keep an extra CR2025 battery in my riding jacket lapel pocket as well.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick,
I got my battery tender from Kmart for about $18. I still have the orig battery on my 03.
Considering it's just sitting in the garage most of the time.
The price is right Ladi, I'll grab one.

Hows everything going?

·
03 A
1,506 Posts
Everything is going good Rick. The family enjoys the home you and your son custom built for us 2 years ago. Every visitors we had could not believe the before and after. Daugther is going to college next year so I will have more riding time next season and hopefully will be able to join in on some of the rides Ha ha..
Regards...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The other thing to do is learn about the keyless/fobless code you can set and put in so when your battery goes dead or you lose your keys on teh rode you are not left stranded.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
There is a code you can enter via the turn signal buttons if your fob dies or gets lost.
It should be in your paper work somewhere, if not I think the dealer can reset it for you.
If your battery needs to be on the tender constantly then it is likely going to die on you in the not to distant future. Let me see $80 for a battery vs not riding.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heads up! My key fobs wouldn't work, either one. I had pulled up for gas and the bike wouldn't back start back up. Couldn't get the bike to recognize the FOB. Dealer said the antenna module failed. Dealer replaced module and works great now. I have an 09 DX.

·
Premium Member
11,356 Posts
Well, I let the battery charge for a bit and it started. Seems I should be keeping it on a tender.
Taxman, I don't think there is a battery in the fob, the only way I can see to open it is with a hammer, and I've had poor results with that in the past.

Is whatever the thing is that senses the fob so touchy that a low battery will stop it from working?

Edit: Well damn, there is a battery in the fob. I remember asking the dealer about that when I picked up my bike, the service manager told me it was the same sort of setup used in a smart key, and that there was no power source in the fob. Hopefully a fob battery and a tender will solve all my problems.
If you are not a daily rider keep a battery tender hooked up on it when not in use.
If your service manager does not know a FOB has a battery in it I would get a new service manager. The owners manual tells you how to change it.
Your FOB battery is probably all right if the machine started after charging the 12 volt battery. One of my bikes FOB batteries has lasted for 7 years now.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like the bike battery was down, and the fob battery. Thanks for all the great advice guy's, I'm rolling again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts