Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had the dealer replace the bearings in the triple trees because the clunk finally wore them out, and i figured since it was in there i would have my front end powdercoated. well i picked it up today all nice and shiny black, and about 5 mins down the road the bike started to sputter and almost stall... i thought, well as soon as i get it home, i will take a look at my tab controller thinking it was possibly acting up... well a minute after that the bike just sputtered and died... i let it sit for about 5 mins and it started back up... this time i got it about a mile and it just flat out died... i tried to start it back up and it blew a puff of white smoke out of the exhaust, so i just decided to push it home... thankfully i was only a mile from home, so it wasnt all that bad of a workout... unfortunately the harley shop already closed for the night, so i was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on what happened... i hope i didnt fry my motor (well, ok, maybe i do hope i did).. i realized after the fact that i didnt hear my fan on that whole time... if it overheated, how bad do you think it is??? please help!!!!

thanks,
scott

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
smharris605 said:
So i had the dealer replace the bearings in the triple trees because the clunk finally wore them out, and i figured since it was in there i would have my front end powdercoated. well i picked it up today all nice and shiny black, and about 5 mins down the road the bike started to sputter and almost stall... i thought, well as soon as i get it home, i will take a look at my tab controller thinking it was possibly acting up... well a minute after that the bike just sputtered and died... i let it sit for about 5 mins and it started back up... this time i got it about a mile and it just flat out died... i tried to start it back up and it blew a puff of white smoke out of the exhaust, so i just decided to push it home... thankfully i was only a mile from home, so it wasnt all that bad of a workout... unfortunately the harley shop already closed for the night, so i was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on what happened... i hope i didnt fry my motor (well, ok, maybe i do hope i did).. i realized after the fact that i didnt hear my fan on that whole time... if it overheated, how bad do you think it is??? please help!!!!

thanks,
scott
Scott why would you ever hope it fried your motor?

Does the motor turn over normal or does it not turn over?

Have you tried to read codes?

Do you have a fueler added to the bike?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max said:
Scott why would you ever hope it fried your motor?

Does the motor turn over normal or does it not turn over?

Have you tried to read codes?

Do you have a fueler added to the bike?
just to get a brand new one... but i think im only trying to make light of the situation, i really dont want to have to deal with that whole process.... it turns over like normal now that it is cooled off, that is what is causing me to believe that it overheated... there is no check engine light on, so i didnt even think about that, and yes i have a tab fueler...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
smharris605 said:
just to get a brand new one... but i think im only trying to make light of the situation, i really dont want to have to deal with that whole process.... it turns over like normal now that it is cooled off, that is what is causing me to believe that it overheated... there is no check engine light on, so i didnt even think about that, and yes i have a tab fueler...
Remove the fueler and then try to start the bike. The white smoke is most likely fuel and very well could be because of a bad fuel controller. If the bike overheated you should have had a light, and when this type antifreeze gets very hot the smell is unmistakable and very nasty.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it didnt smell like antifreeze, but it smelled like it was damn near on fire.... can i just remove the ground from the fueller, or do i have to disconect the whole thing (unplug it from the injectors, and the TPS)??? the major thing that concerned me was no fan this whole time... well after i watch the red sox win, i will be taking the bike apart and looking for answers...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
You need to remove the fueler from the injectors. This type antifreeze has a sick sweet smell that will take your breath away. The lack of fans would agree suggest you did not overheat. For an engine to get so hot it overheated it would first have to lose it's coolant, either blow it out of the overflow or out the pipe. A teaspoon of this type coolant will blow a cloud of smoke, a blown head gasket looks and you couldn't have seen behind you for the smoke.

The odds are almost zero that you overheated and very high that your fuel system is way rich and thus the white smoke which can also be fuel.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your help max, i really appreciate it... im gonna take it apart a lil later on and ill be posting my results... how would I know if it was the fueler?? it starts and runs like normal now, so would i have to let it run and heat up??? o and this is something that concerned me, what do you think about it?? and the blacked out front end changed the whole look of the bike!!! thanks again max!!!

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If it starts and runs normal now I would check all my grounds and battery connections good. If you find nothing then remove the fueler and run it for a while. The white smoke had to be fuel and the fueler would be a prime suspect IMHO.

·
DuPage County
419 Posts
To paraphrase Max, check electrics first, then fuel delivery.

Doesn't sound like overheating or mechanical. It's not a paperweight quite yet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Max you are the best!!! one of the wires was hanging out of the front fuel injector plug... im sorry i even partially questioned you :notworth: thank you so much for your help... its all back together and im gonna let it run for about a half hour to make sure there is nothing else... also when i checked the codes under the "C" category there was a code B1006 Historic Accessory line overvoltage 2.12DTCB1006/B1007... after i did everything i cleared them out and there was no codes in any of the sections... Thank you again!!!! :notworth:

scott

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i couldnt get it running right and it was only running on the rear cylinder, so the dealer picked it up and diagnosed it for free... they said the TAB fueler was broken, so they set it up to stock configuration and i took it home... now i just gotta wait to get my new one... for reliability do you guys recommend just getting the tab fueler replaced or spend the money on a PC3??? thanks for your advice!!!

scott

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
smharris605 said:
well i couldnt get it running right and it was only running on the rear cylinder, so the dealer picked it up and diagnosed it for free... they said the TAB fueler was broken, so they set it up to stock configuration and i took it home... now i just gotta wait to get my new one... for reliability do you guys recommend just getting the tab fueler replaced or spend the money on a PC3??? thanks for your advice!!!

scott
Replace the fueler, tab should do that for free, I know they stand behind their product!

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
smharris605 said:

scott
Get the SERT!!!

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
smharris605 said:
that sert is waay out of my price range for right now... i was quoted for 450 and then 250 for the dyno...
there's plenty of MAPS here, I'm sure you can find one that works for your bike!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
You can find certs on ebay all the time for under $400 and as xoygeha says you will find maps I think for your setup here on the forum. The sert is the way to go as far as tuning without piggy back systems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts