Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! Have a tick and it has even the dealerhsip confused! UPDATE

Bike has a little over 7k miles on it. About 100 miles ago it developed a tick. Sounds like a valve tick coming from the front cylinder.

Dealership agreed it sounded like a valve tick and checked them. Only one was out of spec and just barely at that. Put it all back together and the tick was still there.

Next they thought it was a exhaust tick so they replaced the exhaust gaskets. Tick is still there. (FYI.. no changes to airbox or exhaust except that I drilled the stock exhaust the day after I bought it 7k miles ago)

Currently they are waiting on a call back from the factory tech guy to help determine where to go next.

Anyone heard of this or have any ideas on where to go now? I don't want to keep throwing $$ and parts at it.

HELP!

UPDATE! picked up the bike today and it sounds exactly the same. Didn't have time to try anything mentioned below however...

NEW PROBLEM

On my way home which is roughly 5 miles with starts and stops galore, the bike cut off on me 3 times. :mad:

All three times it happened when I was coming to a stop and had the clutch pulled in. The RPMs dropped way low then the bike cut off. Started right back up no problem.

This isn't the first time this has happened so I am not blaming the dealership on this. However, in the 6 years I have had the bike, it has done this a total of 2 other times. Both within the last 6 months.

Thoughts on this problem????

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just a thought...

Every time I hear that tick, it's been a loose figure 8 clamp, where the headers meet the 3rd volume. Sounds like it's coming from the top end, front cylinder. (must be an echo...)
I'm on my second collector, the first one was eaten away by the loose pipes rubbing inside the flange. (pics in my gallery)
I still have to re-torque it 3 or 4 times a year.

I now torque that clamp to 35 ft/lbs when the exhaust is hot, it's been good all season, but the next time it happens I'm adding a second locknut.

Good Luck - Mike

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
Yea usually I find something that is loose. Last time it was something in my right mirror. I would grab the mirror and the sound would go away. Swapped mirrors sound gone.

Something is probably rattling somewhere. The where part is the hard part....

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Bike has a little over 7k miles on it. About 100 miles ago it developed a tick. Sounds like a valve tick coming from the front cylinder.

Dealership agreed it sounded like a valve tick and checked them. Only one was out of spec and just barely at that. Put it all back together and the tick was still there.

Next they thought it was a exhaust tick so they replaced the exhaust gaskets. Tick is still there. (FYI.. no changes to airbox or exhaust except that I drilled the stock exhaust the day after I bought it 7k miles ago)

Currently they are waiting on a call back from the factory tech guy to help determine where to go next.

Anyone heard of this or have any ideas on where to go now? I don't want to keep throwing $$ and parts at it.

HELP!
This people working on your bike are lost in space.They don't have a clue what to do next. Proof is they called the factory guy to bail them out over the phone.

Did the mechanic do a visual for carbon build up on the valves before he did the check?

·
Registered
568 Posts
A loud fuel injector solenoid can masquerade as a valve tick.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
There are quit a few things that this noise could be.it's just a matter of search and eliminate the possibilitys.
is the tick consistent,or at certain times and heat ranges?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
my stock heat shields on the 3rd volume were the source of my ticking on my bike. the spot welds on the pieces that the heat shields screw to broke and i lost a couple screws. i didn't find the source until i switched to a different exhaust. try taking your hand and pulling one of the heat shields away from the 3rd volume. i agree with others that something is loose somewhere. figure 8 clamp or even the pipe clamps around the upper heat shields on each head pipe. jmo.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
A loud fuel injector solenoid can masquerade as a valve tick.
:them:

Another one could be an intake leak. I've been fooled by those in the past. Is the breather hose on tight?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Trick for finding ticks......

3 foot wooden dowel. Run it, put the dowel on places like the exhaust, side of the head, valve cover, injector solenoid and listen through the dowel... You should find that noise quick.

I use the when I have inductor or transformer noise on high voltage electronics. Works great, also use it on my car (had a loud rocker).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions. If they don't have a plan on Monday I will go pick it up and try some of these ideas. Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
see update in top post

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Considering your new problem I am inclined to look for an intake leak. The size of the leak may now be fooling the vacuum sensor on the intake causing the bike to stall. What do other's think?

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I don't know if you would hear this but look for cracks in the boots for the throttle body. Also verify that your exhaust flange bolts are tightened to spec.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Considering your new problem I am inclined to look for an intake leak. The size of the leak may now be fooling the vacuum sensor on the intake causing the bike to stall. What do other's think?

I doubt this,but anything is possible on a broken piece of equipment.I think the stalling and the noise are 2 separate problems.
As far as diagnosing a noise over the internet,and for that fact a stalling issue,all we can do is throw some ideas at you.

As far as the stalling,clean all the ground connections.Clean the iac motor while it is installed on the bike.Clean it while the engine is off and running.Look down the TB's to see if there is any coke buildup.If so,do a top engine cleaning.This service is done the same way you do your automobiles.

One of the best things you can do is to surf around the threads here and just keep trying until you find the culprits and fix them.
Buy the service manual,and stay away from dealers that throw parts at motorcycles at your expense.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I hear ya. I buy the service manual for every vehicle I own and did so for the V-Rod the day after I bought it. All work is done by me. This time, I just didn't have the time to do it and with this perfect riding weather, thought I would suck it up and pay someone to do it. Live and learn.

Taking Friday off to start working on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exhaust checks out just fine. all clamps are torqued to spec and I can't detect a leak anywhere.

I did notice I am now missing the air filter gasket. Guess the dealership forgot to put it back on. :bash:

Plan to check the IAC motor tomorrow after work.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Exhaust checks out just fine. all clamps are torqued to spec and I can't detect a leak anywhere.

I did notice I am now missing the air filter gasket. Guess the dealership forgot to put it back on. :bash:

Plan to check the IAC motor tomorrow after work.
I would be looking at leaks from the vent hoses from each cylinder head to the air box, leaks at the throttle body sleeves and the condition of the gasket between the bottom of the air box and the throttle bodies. See if you can find an intake leak in any of these places.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts