Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the springs from the front forks? The manual mentions "Fork Nut Remover/Installer (HD-47852).. Do I need to get this tool or can I improvise....? Any thoughts / suggestions??.. I need HELP!! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
I replaced my fork springs, seals, etc without any special tools.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
R forks are R specific.... R people need to chime in..

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the manuals for all the VRSC lineup call for the HD tool to be used in fork disassembly. Most have been able to manage by backing the nut off very very slowly and having a towel on top of said nut. That being said, would be nice to get that confirmed by the R guys

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Race Tech sells the necessary tools for disassembling the R fork and can probably have to tools on your door in days rather than weeks. I won't even try taking those forks apart until I have the correct tools.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I am just finishing up rebuilding my R forks. I made the tools myself.
The R forks take 2 different tools to tear the forks apart. 1 tool for the right and 1 tool for the left.
The right side fork is a little more difficult to get the inner screw to break loose from the 74 foot pounds they have on it but the spring under the cup you are breaking loose is very short ( about 1 1/2 inch in length) so not much pressure on it. I made a tool for this by cutting a 8 inch length of steel pipe and cutting the 4 notches into one end of it that fit into the cup that needs removal, then I welded a long rod coupler to the other end of it so I could put a socket onto it. It worked pretty good . The hardest part is trying to hold the lower part of the fork so you can put 70 something foot pounds of torque and pressure down onto the socket at the same time so it does not slip off.
The other fork is a little easier but it has a little more spring pressure on it. This side tool I made out of 2 lengths of 3/8 rod and I welded a very short piece of 3/8 rod into the center of them so you can use then sort of as a pull together handle and then push down on the spring loaded end of the cartridge so you can pull a cupped pin out from under a bolt that is at the end of the cartridge piston rod.
It all SOUNDS difficult BUT it is not really. There is not as much spring pressure on either fork as some here have said for the other models forks. The R is pretty easy to pull apart.
The confusing thing about the R forks is that they are not made the same internally. One has a piston in it and less oil, the other has a short and long spring setup in it and more oil.
I will be starting a thread in the next day with some pics of what I did, this may help you. At the same time that I did the forks, I also re-greased my steering head bearings, I will add a thread for that also. My bearings and cups were in perfect shape but very little grease on them.

ALSO, I am willing to ship my custom made tools to anyone that needs them at no charge other than the shipping. These tools are ONLY for the R model forks. Once you get them, use them and make them available to the next person. Now these tools are a little ugly looking but they worked for me without damage to the forks. They will all fit into a small USPS flat rate shipping box so the shipping would be minimal.
I have the following items that I made for the R forks.
1 tool for left fork
1 tool for right fork
1 tool to help seat the new seals into the bores ( this tool is just a 2 1/2 " pvc fitting that I cut into 2 and it snaps around the lower slider pipe so you can use a rubber mallet to beat the seals into place into the upper fork slider )
I want to mention that the seals are not installed the same on the right and left fork sliders. One side the chamfer on the seal is pointing up and on the other fork it is pointing down. No biggie but you must watch how they came out and match the seal directions.

Or if you really want to , you can ship them to me and I will rebuild them for you. I would charge $75.00 labor to rebuild them for you plus the shipping to get them back to you after they are done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts