Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a front brake master that had been stripped and chromed.

I found out the hard way that they had completely gutted the piece and had not reinstalled anything they took off it. I was able to pick up all the parts needed for relatively cheap (direct from Harley) and while the inspection/fluid window and gasket was easy to install, as well as the new "DOT 5 only" decal on the top, I did not get any instructions on installing the new piston/spring/gaskets.

Could anyone simply provide the order in which the piston kit needs to be assembled? I don't want to screw this up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here’s a picture from the service manual that you should probably consider buying. It’s better than guessing at how things should be done.
sweet deal. Thank you Steve.

I do have every intention of buying the service manual very soon, but wanted to get this done even sooner.

I'm going to look around the forum more, but I forgot to mention I have an '09, so this diagram doesn't apply to the brembo m/c's. I'll dig around, but thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
sweet deal. Thank you Steve.

I do have every intention of buying the service manual very soon, but wanted to get this done even sooner.

I'm going to look around the forum more, but I forgot to mention I have an '09, so this diagram doesn't apply to the brembo m/c's. I'll dig around, but thanks again.
You said you were using a DOT 5 sticker. The 2006 and later bikes use DOT 4. Here’s a view from the 2010 parts catalog. My 2010 SM is at home so I couldn’t scan that picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I thought the '09's used the DOT5 (hence the DOT5 sticker).

That's exactly the picture I was looking for though. Thank you too much for that.

Apparently, what I got from my dealer only included part 21, and not part 20. Dammit. Back on the horn to order that too.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... Apparently, what I got from my dealer only included part 21, and not part 20. Dammit. Back on the horn to order that too.
I don’t understand what you’re saying about the parts you received or didn’t receive. Part 21 (42862-06B) is the MC repair kit and it includes everything involving the MC piston internals including part 20 (42861-06B, push rod kit). If a dealer gave you everything to the right of part 20 then you didn’t receive all the parts you paid for.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's what the dealer thought too, but if you look closely at the diagram, part 21 does not include the cap or that rod thing. Just got off the phone with the dealer, and they confirmed. Part #20 (from that diagram) has to be ordered separately from 21 (#21 is labeled a 'rebuild kit', but doesn't include the two pieces in #20).

The #20 is going to run me just over $5 after tax, and not a normally stocked part so it'll take a few days to get to me. Bummer too because I was hoping to install these chrome m/c, switch buttons and housings all this weekend. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
that's what the dealer thought too, but if you look closely at the diagram, part 21 does not include the cap or that rod thing. Just got off the phone with the dealer, and they confirmed. Part #20 (from that diagram) has to be ordered separately from 21 (#21 is labeled a 'rebuild kit', but doesn't include the two pieces in #20).

The #20 is going to run me just over $5 after tax, and not a normally stocked part so it'll take a few days to get to me. Bummer too because I was hoping to install these chrome m/c, switch buttons and housings all this weekend. Oh well.
I see that now.

Looking at the 2007 parts catalog, the previous 42862-06 MC kit included the piece to the far left put not the pushrod. The previous 42861-06 PR kit was just the pushrod. The latest 42861-06B PR kit includes the pushrod and the part to the far left that are both left out of the latest MC kit. I guess it’s typical HD marketing that pisses off the customers and confuses the parts counter staff.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep, typical. Now watch, the shyt kicker of it is that it's not going to fit after I get it. ...here's hoping.

Oh yeah, I stand corrected too, it's DOT 4 fluid (or so says the decal).

Just because of the great help, pics will be up in the coming weeks as I assemble the whole thing and get it on the bike. I can't wait to get rid of all that black that doesn't go with the rest of the AW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts