Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During 25000 mile service I found 3 metal tabs on the magnite on the drain plug. I know that other members have had this happen to them there was a post in FEB 2008 from DUDMAN. I need to know if in fact these pieces came from Clutch basket and if there are any other problems with these pieces not being there.

Tabs.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that was me in the other thread also I am wanted to know if I need to do any repairs or do the pieces do nothing. It seems that nothing was verified on that thread. Has any of the members that were part of this had to do any clutch work and saw that the tabs were broken off the clutch basket did they have any function in the clutch workings.

Thanks
Giblet

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Something is deteriorating inside your bike. If those are indeed pieces of the clutch it should not be hard to diagnose and repair as long as you have the proper tools.
Installing a slipper clutch should remedy the problem.

Do not ignore this problem. Engine rebuilds because something came apart inside are expensive. Replacing parts is not.

You will need a service manual to remove and repair the clutch if that is what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Something is deteriorating inside your bike. If those are indeed pieces of the clutch it should not be hard to diagnose and repair as long as you have the proper tools.
Installing a slipper clutch should remedy the problem. ...
Actually the pieces he's showing are probably from the clutch basket so installing the slipper clutch won't fix this.

Someone that's taken a clutch basket out needs to respond and mention what could break the tabs, determine if these are needed, and if so then a new clutch basket needs to be installed.

If replacing the basket, I'd suggest the SE version (36723-05K) since it costs the same as the softer standard version (36699-01KB). I'd probably change to a slipper clutch also (37938-08KA). A new clutch nut (8008M) is also recommended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve975. I spoke with 2 HD machanics and they told me to ride it they had never seen these parts in the motor so they had to have came from the transmisions part of the motor.

What I am truly want ito know with this post has anyone found these pieces broken off when looking at the cluch basket?

Thanks again for all the info and part numbers for the slipper clutch!

By the way made it to Daytona 200 miles no problems.

Thanks

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Thanks Steve975. I spoke with 2 HD machanics and they told me to ride it
:banghead:
That's the most stupid advice i've ever heard.
I'd stop now and get that clutch cover off for a look and see how many tabs are missing. If there are more than 3 then you have a big problem. I sure wouldn't want to be barrelling down the road when a bit jams between the gear cogs...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Metal tabs

I had only one break off...nothing more since and that was many miles ago. Recently put in slipper and new basket.You have a much bigger problem than I...definitely get it checked. I was offered a new basket free back in '08 at Daytona by one of the Milwaukee guys who helped diagnose my problem...maybe you can get some help as this appears to be a frequent issue. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
It is definitely part of the clutch basket. It seems to be part of the basket anti-backlash mechanism. Retainer of some sort. I took a pic of a new basket I have here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DUDMAN
When you changed out the clutch basket did you look to see if the tabs were missing?
Now that you have changed out the basket if you still have it will you post pics?
Did you find any other damage?

Steve
Thanks for the inputs can you tell me wat the tabs are used for? What I got from the Machanics is that they were you in the factory to line up the gear on the back of the clutch basket.
I have had no problems with the clutch or any running part of the bike.
There is no telling how long the pieces have been in the oil pan.

By the way Cold in Daytona after the rain.
:biker:
Thanks again.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Thanks Steve975. I spoke with 2 HD machanics and they told me to ride it they had never seen these parts in the motor so they had to have came from the transmisions part of the motor.

What I am truly want ito know with this post has anyone found these pieces broken off when looking at the cluch basket?

Thanks again for all the info and part numbers for the slipper clutch!

By the way made it to Daytona 200 miles no problems.

Thanks
They told you to ride it because they want you to bring to them when it blows up.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...Steve
Thanks for the inputs can you tell me wat the tabs are used for? What I got from the Machanics is that they were you in the factory to line up the gear on the back of the clutch basket. ...
Not sure which "Steve" you're referring to but the info posted by Ken (o2man98) is as much as I've seen concerning these. I've installed slipper clutches but I've never removed a clutch basket or seen a broken tab (except pictures posted on the forum).

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
They told you to ride it because they want you to bring to them when it blows up.

Just the opposite,they do NOT want to work on the Revo engine.there are 2 reasons most mechanics in dealers don't want to work on V-Rods.#1,they don't know how.#2,because they don't know how and the flat rate is low on most operations,it's hard to make money when working on a V-Rod.
Me personally,I find working on a V-Rod is about like working on a Nissan 3.5 or many of the other import brands with engines of similar design.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
It is definitely part of the clutch basket. It seems to be part of the basket anti-backlash mechanism. Retainer of some sort. I took a pic of a new basket I have here.

Could you take a not so close picture of what you have there? I can't quite make out what that is.
When I replaced my clutch with the slipper, one of the friction plates had a broken tab and rather than returning it to the dealer I replaced the friction plate. Is this the tabs we are talking about?

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Just the opposite,they do NOT want to work on the Revo engine.there are 2 reasons most mechanics in dealers don't want to work on V-Rods.#1,they don't know how.#2,because they don't know how and the flat rate is low on most operations,it's hard to make money when working on a V-Rod.
Me personally,I find working on a V-Rod is about like working on a Nissan 3.5 or many of the other import brands with engines of similar design.
I would think that @ $95.00/hour & not knowing how to work on a REVO engine would add up to some serious $'s as the hours tick on by, no?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I would think that @ $95.00/hour & not knowing how to work on a REVO engine would add up to some serious $'s as the hours tick on by, no?
Nope,flat rate don't work this way.If the job pays an hour and it takes more than an hour for the mechanic to do it,he does not get payed for the extra time involved.If the mechanic can beat the time,usually by half,then he's making money.Most operations on the V-Rod are hard to beat,even on customer pay tickets.This has been a big compliant from Harley service depts around the country since day one on the V-Rod.
My last job in a dealer I averaged 18 hours a day.I always turned good time when I twisted wrenches,or I would leave and go to a dealer that I could.I quit back in 97.My brother recently went to work for a small Cadillac dealer,he has averaged 25 hours a day for the past 3 months.80% of the work him and I do,or ever have done in new car dealers is warranty time.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Could you take a not so close picture of what you have there? I can't quite make out what that is.
When I replaced my clutch with the slipper, one of the friction plates had a broken tab and rather than returning it to the dealer I replaced the friction plate. Is this the tabs we are talking about?
That is a not so close picture. That is the inside of the clutch basket. Those tabs that are broke in this thread are not the plate tangs.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The flat rate for checking valve clearances on a V-Rod is 3 1/2 hours ! It took me ten hours the first time around. I tooled up and I will be thrilled if I cut this down to five hours the next time.
Now imagine I'm a tech at a Harley dealer and spend most of my time working on Glides of some description and Sportsters. Here comes this V-Rod thing for a 15k service and the customer wants the valve clearances checked. You haven't done many, maybe none since tech school, and you know you are going to loose your arse on the flat rate. It makes your bike less than popular in the service department.
I can hear the whispers now, "give it to the new guy and let him loose money".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well back from Daytona 1000 miles later still no other problems. Bike still running well and Clutch still working fine.
I will take a look at the clutch when it gives me trouble.
I will keep posted if any other problem arise however if anyone has a clutch basket with the tabs broke off please post pics.

Thanks!
GIBLET

1 - 20 of 22 Posts