Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Posting and it's a hair puller

I have a 05 VRSC with SE Exhaust used from dealer with 11K. It's been running smooth as glass for 3 months. Over the last 2 months it has been bucking/spiting/running rough below 3000RPM BAD... no stalling but it has almost caused me to lay it down in a few turns. The head tech at Cleveland HD put it on the dyno and says that the fuel is loading up really heavy and drowning itself in the first 3000RPM map. :banghead:

I gave them my TAB tuner and tips thinking the new fueler would fix the problem but NO LUCK. :banghead: :banghead:

The head tech called HD and they told him that the SE Exhaust for the stock ECU map is prone to running rough at low RPM's TO BAD SO SAD your problem. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

***Why was it running fine and now this? :bs:

I want my bike back it has been gone for 6-WEEKS and if I didn’t have the extended factory warrantee I could not afford to get it out of the shop :mad:

I want to lemon lawyer up but it’s a used 05 with an extended warrantee. What do I do…

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Not sure what your TAB tuner is. Sounds like a fuel adder which would not help you if it is to rich now. I have an 05 also, use to have SE pipes on it. I did add a fuel adder originally but that was to increase it in the 3-5K range.

Do you have a copy of the run he made on the Dyno you can post so we can see what is going on? Sounds like you have a Tech that dosen't work on Vrods.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
WOW I have never heard of TAB Performance. Good luck might contact Hales HD in Mainsfield Ohio they are VRod experts.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Put the bike back stock first. You can run the SE pipes and stock flash and it should run good enough to tell if the problem is still there or gone. I just see so many problems caused by third party systems that piggy back.

Do you have any codes?
does the bike run good at wide open throttle?
Has anyone performed a fuel pressure test?
Has anyone inspected the plugs to see if they are rich or lean?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

I'll have them put it back to stock tomorrow and if i have to I'll take it to hales... it's only about an hour from me

Should I just pony up for the P/C?

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
I dont know might want to post a thread about your TAB fueler and see if anyone at all uses this or has used it. A lot of people have DynoJet Powercommander PC III's or the HD Race Tuners.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Check all your grounds. There should be one on the front head, and one on the frame. Check your battery connections as well.

My thought, is that if there is a loose wire that vibrates at the right RPM it could cause all kinds of wierdness. My GF's 2006 had a big time stumbling problem that was corrected with a quick run through with a 10mm socket.

RJ

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
try putting it back to stock, check then recheck any grounds and ecu connections you can

also it might be worth while for grins to take a compression check on the bike as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just to confirm:

You don't have the SE pipe as indicated in your first post; you actually have the TAB turnouts and TAB Fueler, correct?

If so, did the problem start only after the TAB install?

If so, call Todd: the number on his website is his cell number and several people in the D/DX section have had excellent results when calling Todd directly for tuning advice w/ his controller.

FYI: the TAB Fueler has selectable tune programs and then three adjustable pots (dials) for tuning each of three RPM ranges: 0-3000, 3000-6000 and 6000-9000. You can add or subtract up to 20% fuel from the tune with the pots.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
try putting it back to stock, check then recheck any grounds and ecu connections you can

also it might be worth while for grins to take a compression check on the bike as well.
Venom if you have stock cams doing a compression test on this engine is pretty tough. You can do a leak down test but short of removing the valve covers and tying the compression release valve open you really can't tell much with a compression test.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Max said:
Venom if you have stock cams doing a compression test on this engine is pretty tough. You can do a leak down test but short of removing the valve covers and tying the compression release valve open you really can't tell much with a compression test.
ahh hell... thanks for the expert opinion.... gotta keep reminding me this motor is still a lot different from my DOHC ford motor still.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You all are giving me a lot of info THANKS!!!

I did have the SE pipes when I purchases the bike. the only reason the TAB tips and fueler are on it now is because the tech thought it might correct the fuel from loading up in the lower rpm's. So it is not Tod's controller.

Max, as you recomended the bike is back to stock. factory pipes, factory ecu flash, no controller, and it is still loading up at the same rpms. But at least I know it is not the addon stuff.

coils - replace
heat sensore - reset
map sensore - replaced
compression/leakdown test was - ok
grounds - ok

no other codes (Per the HD tech)

The HD's call center tech service said the next recomendation was to replace the throtle body, but I don't get why.

what about the ecu? would it always throw a code if it is bad?

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Max, does the vrod have a throttle position sensor, idle air controller sensor, or map sensor?

in the automotive world any of these being could cause a similar issue especially the IAC.

even if I am way off key on the vrod, I have no problem throwing out scenarios relating to general automotive issues, maybe something will be similar.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
Max, does the vrod have a throttle position sensor, idle air controller sensor, or map sensor?

in the automotive world any of these being could cause a similar issue especially the IAC.

even if I am way off key on the vrod, I have no problem throwing out scenarios relating to general automotive issues, maybe something will be similar.
Yes the v-rod has

TPS throttle position sensor
IAC Idle air control MOTOR
MAP Manifold absolute pressure sensor

It also counts heavy on the IAT intake air temperature sensor, however his problem sounds like a fuel or fuel adder problem to me. But then it's just a guess since I can only go from symptoms.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Max said:
Yes the v-rod has

TPS throttle position sensor
IAC Idle air control MOTOR
MAP Manifold absolute pressure sensor

It also counts heavy on the IAT intake air temperature sensor, however his problem sounds like a fuel or fuel adder problem to me. But then it's just a guess since I can only go from symptoms.
it definitely sounds like a fuel issue to me as well, but I had a problem with my cobra doing similar symptoms down low, up top it ran fine, but low rpm it would seem to load up really bad. I started replacing things that I thought my be the problem. The second thing I swapped was the IAC and it fixed the issue. I am not sure the exact reason that the IAC caused it to load up. I understand the IAC basically moved a little piston in a shaft allowing more or less air to bypass the throttle body.

I am assuming it was not in the position the computer was telling it to be. And the ECU was compensating fuel mixture for it to be in the location that it was supposed to be in and with it dumping this excess fuel and the idle being lower than it assumed it caused it to load up. :shrug:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they said with the throtle body they are replacing the fuel rails and injection system. would that IAC be included in that assembly? either way we will find out tomorrow when its delivered and the dealer installs it...

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
cross your fingers brotha!! i hope they get it cleared up for ya!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds like a TPS, I managed to unplug mine when I put my fueler on and when I started it up it ran like crap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts