Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!
excuse me as i am not very experienced with my dx but am trying to learn, so be gentle , and i need your guys help... please.
got a DX with tab tuner.
haven't f**ked around with the tuner for over 1000 k's.
today, ran out of gas... ok stupid :banghead: , but got a jerrycan and everything was ok...
tonight, powerwashed the bike, and now.... sh*t!:bash:
bike starts, revs when i twist the throttle, and then decides it doesn't want to anymore and dies. won't restart immediately, but if i wait, it restarts and same again. if i just leave idling when i do get it to start, i lasts less than a minute and then dies. again, it won't restart right away, i have to wait.
get a bit of black smoke on starting, and one time when it wouldn't fire up, a few puffs of white smoke
i'm thinking that i may have shorted the fuse to the cooling fan (it is 34°C here) but don't know what fuse circuit it is on and i already tried swapping out the different fuses, and this didn't work. .
otherwise... WHAT CAN I DO??? there is a 3 week wait at the dealers just to talk to the tech, let alone get work done, and i really think it must be something simple.... please help?

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
to start with something simple you could take off the tuner and see if the bike will start and run without it and then you would at least know if it's that or not. Other than that I'm not smart enough to answer your question :D

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i took of the airbox cover and checked the tuner... there is power getting to it and it is not shorted as the LED lights up fine, plus the bike will turn over for a short period of time... if it was the tuner, surely it wouldn't turn over at all?

sorry, forgot to say thanks for your input!

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Is the bike throwing any codes?

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
it could still be the tuner...if the tuner is bad it could be flooding the motor with gas in turn causing the motor to die.. I suggest you at least unplug the tuner (I have seen at least 1 other thread about the tab tuners having a problem) remember "keep it simple" first.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
The only reason I first thought tuner was that you had mentioned that you washed the bike, possibly there is water in one of the connections, I've read about people having that problem with the pcIII. but again I'm no mechanic so I could be way off.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Check for water in your connectors, if your using a pcIII or other fueler check those connections first.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
... and FWIW - Pressure-washing a bike is a bad idea.... IMO

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steppenwolf said:
... and FWIW - Pressure-washing a bike is a bad idea.... IMO
since about 3 hours ago i share your opinion on this!

i used a good lot of high pressure air on all of the connectors for the tuner and on the tuner itself to try to shake out any water that may have got onto the wires

would the engine cut out like this if it was just getting too hot because the fan is not running? i don't seem to remember the fan starting every time i just started my bike on the parking lot....

if not i will just unplug all the connectors for the tuner, but that's a real pain in the a** to do on the gas station forecourt where i have had to leave the bike overnight (no sleep for me tonight....)

thanks for your ideas guys.....

any others are greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
alabama said:
since about 3 hours ago i share your opinion on this!
BTW - sorry for that comment, actually - I no longer will pressure-wash bike OR cars (don't ask why...) but it was kind of stating the obvious.

No - your engine is not running hot. It really most likely is the fueler - try to pull it out and see if the bike will run with just the factory ECM. I'd bet good money it will. And after everything dries out real good, the fueler will probably be just fine, too.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
alabama said:
if it was the tuner, surely it wouldn't turn over at all?
Not necessarily. The tuner will pick up the signal from the ECM to the injectors and affect it. Maybe your program is set not to add any fuel at start, but then once you give it throttle, the tuner kicks in and goes haywire.

Like everyone says, keep it simple and be methodical. Unplug the tuner and plug the ECM directly to the harness - if only to rule that out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
guess i'll start with that....
part of me is just hoping that in the morning i'll turn the key and everything will be like normal....
thanks, guys

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
alabama said:
guess i'll start with that....
part of me is just hoping that in the morning i'll turn the key and everything will be like normal....
thanks, guys
It just may be...

·
Registered
378 Posts
bike starts, revs when i twist the throttle, and then decides it doesn't want to anymore and dies. won't restart immediately, but if i wait, it restarts and same again. if i just leave idling when i do get it to start, i lasts less than a minute and then dies. again, it won't restart right away, i have to wait.
get a bit of black smoke on starting, and one time when it wouldn't fire up, a few puffs of white smoke
When you start the bike, are you twisting the throttle? Keep your hand off the throttle until the engine starts, and settles to an idle.

When you say it will not restart right away, does that mean the engine will not even turn over, or it does turn over, but just not start?

How much cranking, (attempted starting) have you done? Could your battery now be low? Put it on a tender as there is not too much capacity in these battieries, especially if your fans have been running a lot.

When it does start, is it normal smooth running, (well for a V twin at least), or is it real rough?

The smoke you saw, black and then white, was it always from one cylinder, i.e. exhaust pipe?

BAsed on the timing it must have to do with washing. May want to give it a little more time to dry, however at 34C that should not take long.

I am not familiar with the TAB, does it connect at the injectors? If so, check those coneections.

Lastly does it run OK off idle? It will die after a minute or so at idle, but do you sense if you got on it and rode it at 3 to 5K RPM it would be OK?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would be willing to bet you have water somewhere you are not suppose to. I have had to wait two days before it dried out of a switch before.

only other thing that popped up and this is remote since you said you rode it to where you washed it....any chance you got bad fuel from the can?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steppenwolf said:
Any update? I'm hoping no news is good news...
unfortunately no...
tried it up again yesterday after leaving it all night to 'dry out' and same thing... no dice.
bit more white smoke this time i think...

will try taking off tuner tonight and see what happens.
spoke to the tech at the dealer and he said that that is the only thing he could think of too.
but if it's the tuner, the i have to take of my pipes etc. the time that i'm waiting for a new one....

i'll keep you posted,

thanks for your help

giles

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
vesteroid said:
I would be willing to bet you have water somewhere you are not suppose to. I have had to wait two days before it dried out of a switch before.

only other thing that popped up and this is remote since you said you rode it to where you washed it....any chance you got bad fuel from the can?
don't think so, it was a brand new can, and the bike seemed to running fine until i washed it... ran 50ks on the 'emergency fuel'

hmmmn........:banghead:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts