Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys-- This is kind of a time critical question since I'm supposed to take the bike on a huge trip for about six weeks. The bike's been under a cover for a while, and I finally got it pulled out and put up on a lift to remove the front fork. Aaaaaand, it looks like I've got a cam cover seal (see pics). The engine and surrounding area is bone dry-- the oil is worst down the upper left corner of the "cooling" fins, and can bee seen horizontally at the front, as well as on some on the left side. Bolts seem tight from a quick check. I checked the "rifle cartridge" tube, and didn't see anything immediatly obvious from a leak standpoint. Right side is clean, as is the rear cylinder. The bike is a 2006 R with about 4000 miles on it, running Amsoil with an Amsoil filter. I'd noticed a bit of weeping at the beginning of the season, but this is much more significant.

The big dollar question-- I'm leaving in two weeks to go to Sturgis, Glacier National Park, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Kelowna, Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast, Oregon coast, Crater Lake, the Tetons and Yellowstone for my wedding and honeymoon-- the bikes will be trailered (mostly) point-to-point, but there's a lot of riding planned at each point, and V-Rod support will obviously be non-existant: a) Does this fall into the "irritating, but livable" catagory as long as I check my oil level, or is it a "you're screwed" kind of thing? b) If I have to change the gasket, can I do it without dropping the motor? How long of a job is it? (I searched, but couldn't find much in the way of specifics and the shop manual wasn't that helpful). c) If I bring it to the dealer (who isn't a V-Rod expert), what sort of financial damage should I expect? d) Is it worth it to clean the seam and try some gasket sealent? If so, will it screw me down the road if I have to change the gaskets? e) Is there any benefit to trying to torque down the bolts without dropping the jet (in the order specified by the manual?)

Any help is greatly appreciated-- I *really* don't want this to screw up the trip of a lifetime, and my departure clock is ticking-- I only have about seven days left (two of which are Sundays). Bottom line- what should I do to ensure no "kaboom" out in the middle of nowhere?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have a solution-- feeling a bit weirded out at the moment.

Rod

Attachments

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
My 07 had a very small weep like the one in the first pic.It takes appr 2 weeks to attract half the dust you have on yours,if I ever let it go that long before washing and waxing it.I never thought about fixing it because I say this type weep is acceptable.
It took less than a drop of oil film on yours to attract the dirt you have there.Wash it off and ride it for 50 miles or so and see if the oil film appears this soon.If not,perform your before trip service and inspection.
If you washed your bike sooner,that film of dirt would not even be noticed!:)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
it is unlikely to be a cam cover leak unless the cam cover has been off.i think your leak is the front breather tube and you should be recheacking that breather,not just the tube but the rubber where it seals at the airbox.excessive oil sitting in the airbox around that tube can work its way down .the rubber has been updated so you may want to check that out.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is unlikely to be a cam cover leak unless the cam cover has been off.i think your leak is the front breather tube and you should be recheacking that breather,not just the tube but the rubber where it seals at the airbox.excessive oil sitting in the airbox around that tube can work its way down .the rubber has been updated so you may want to check that out.
Does this apply to a 2006 R? I thought this update was only for earlier bikes?

Thanks--

Rod

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Aww.. You R wants to be like a "Real" Harley and leak a little oil. :hidesbeh:

:them: Wash it, ride it and see what it really does. Ride man Ride:D

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
My 06 R needed the replacements. Worth checking the rubber and air box.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 06 R needed the replacements. Worth checking the rubber and air box.
That's good to know; would you happen to have the revised part numbers?

I'll check tomorrow--- the bike's up on a lift at the moment as my forks are at RaceTech.

Thanks!

Rod

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I wasn't aware of any crankcase vent hose upgrades,not even retrofitting the 07 style.If the hoses are worn,I thought the part was replaced with the same.
The small amount you have weeping there did not come from the vent system.You really don't have a problem there,but checking the hoses and their connections often is never a bad thing to do on the Revo engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just found out mine is cracked and leaking too. After I just got to work... Luckily it's slow and I was able to wrap it with electrical tape until I get home and get another. Working a grave yard shift and nothing will be open when I get off work...

·
Registered
224 Posts
you have to loosen front motor mount to get enough clearance to get bottom section of cover off. also back wheel to get slack in belt. also had to loosed exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts