Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am Trying To Relocate The Front Turn Signals On My 2003 Vrod To The Forks. I Have The Lighting Socket Disconnected From Its Connector But I Can't Get The Terminals Out Of The Socket (6 Wires With Crimps On The Ends). The Instructions Say To Follow The Service Manual Under Multilock Electrical Connectors (socket Terminal Removal And Install) But I Don't Have The Service Manual.
If You Are Familiar With This Or Have The Manual, Can You Help Me Before It Gets Dark.
Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I Am Trying To Relocate The Front Turn Signals On My 2003 Vrod To The Forks. I Have The Lighting Socket Disconnected From Its Connector But I Can't Get The Terminals Out Of The Socket (6 Wires With Crimps On The Ends). The Instructions Say To Follow The Service Manual Under Multilock Electrical Connectors (socket Terminal Removal And Install) But I Don't Have The Service Manual.
If You Are Familiar With This Or Have The Manual, Can You Help Me Before It Gets Dark.
Thanks.:banghead: :banghead:

·
Lifetime Member
5,212 Posts
You have to stick something like a safety pin or even better a metal pick in the end of the connector opposite of where the wire goes in. There is a small plastic piece in there that keeps the wire from sliding out. Push that piece down while at the same time pulling the wire from the other end and the wires will slide out individually. Just remember which wire goes in which slot.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Sounds like a service manual is in your future. Dear Santa, you finish the rest.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Click This.

Welcome to the forums.

I merged your two threads. You only need to pose a question once. We do this in order to make searches cleaner.

Best of luck.

RJ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trying to pull wires out of the front turn signal plug

Thanks very much for posting these pictures. The plug that is frustrating me looks much like the one that max is holding between his fingers in the 3rd post (13th picture, I think). It appears from the series of pictures that it came out of the deutche connector. I don't see the plastic fingers referred to, but will look again. I wonder if it is different on an "03.

My plug has a hinged plastic jaw that snaps down on top of the wires to secure them. When you lift the jaw you can see the ends of the ferrules in which the wires are terminated (6 side by side each in its own hole). The wires and ferrules fill the holes on the entrance side and there is no place to put a pick. Looking at it from the opposite end (the business end of the plug which makes contact with the female socket), you can see the ferrules. They look like small rectangles divided in the middle into two smaller rectangles. You can get a paperclip or safety pin in either of the two smaller rectangles, but it doesn't seem to do anything to release them from the plastic plug housing them. I've pushed up and down in each rectangle feeling for a detent of some sort, without luck.

I think that I will try to take and post pictures of the assembly so that all can see what I'm talking about. There is probably some easy solution that I am just too dumb to figure out.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
If you look at the face, where it plugs in. You can see a small indent. There is a finger that ramps down toward the terminal. You need to run your pick, or pin down the ramp. You need to get under the ramp and lift it up to free the terminal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an '03 and had the same problem when doing the relo. It's a bit tough to figure out the clips the first time around, but once you figure it out, it's really pretty easy (I used a safety pin). Might as well practice up and do it right, several other mods require messing with the same kind of connectors. Also make sure to get you a service manual. It's a big help.

REMOVE THE MAXI FUSE. Then, Flip down the plastic jaw, and use a safety pin (working from the "business end", as you called it) to to release the clip located in the void under the metal wire connector that is visible. I think you have to lift the clip up (if memory serves). Tug gently on the wire as you lift up the inner clip.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
damionp74 said:
I have an '03 and had the same problem when doing the relo. It's a bit tough to figure out the clips the first time around, but once you figure it out, it's really pretty easy (I used a safety pin). Might as well practice up and do it right, several other mods require messing with the same kind of connectors. Also make sure to get you a service manual. It's a big help.

REMOVE THE MAXI FUSE. Then, Flip down the plastic jaw, and use a safety pin (working from the "business end", as you called it) to to release the clip located in the void under the metal wire connector that is visible. I think you have to lift the clip up (if memory serves). Tug gently on the wire as you lift up the inner clip.
+1

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
rjrivero said:
If you look at the face, where it plugs in. You can see a small indent. There is a finger that ramps down toward the terminal. You need to run your pick, or pin down the ramp. You need to get under the ramp and lift it up to free the terminal.
I've got the same problem as SEL does. I have been trying to release those pins for more than a few months. I have had absolutely no success. I to own a '03. I have spare pins on hand just can't get the old ones out of the holder. One of my pins is loose and the right turn signal sometimes does not blink properly. I am about ready to get out a pair of wire snips and reroute things.

Shame on MOCO for putting those six wires into one connector. Two connectors with three wires each would have made life a lot easier.

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
Be Patient

I have an 03 also, but if you follow the directions in Max's section, they do come out. Be patient, make sure the flap is up, and that you are applying a little pressure to pulling the wire out as you slip the pin under the catch. They will release. Don't cut them, there probably isn't enough room in the instrument cluster for any additional connectors.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sel said:
Thanks.:banghead: :banghead:
I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed here. I appreciate your giving your time and advice. I am sorting it and will try again tomorrow and let you all know if I am successful. Thanks again.
Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just want to thank everyone here for giving their time and advice. It is much appreciated! I am sorting it and will try again tomorrow to see if I can get it to work. I will let you all know if I have been successful. Thanks again.
Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PS. If you have anything to add, please don't hesistate. I figure that the more knowledge that is available in the forum, the better off we all are.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rusty,
raebear has sent me a diagram showing how to remove the pins from the plug that looks like it will be really helpful. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I think it will work. Check out the thread "Help" in the Vrod Mechanical forum.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
sel said:
rusty,
raebear has sent me a diagram showing how to remove the pins from the plug that looks like it will be really helpful. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I think it will work. Check out the thread "Help" in the Vrod Mechanical forum.
sel,
Thanks I will check it out. Just had a run in with the connector fro the rear turn signals. The wires from both rear turn signals feed into one connector and I am having the same problem with it.

Can't seem to get my act together on this one.

Edited 10:41PM. Saw picture and it basically what I thought it should look like. Maybe I will buy the tool they specify in the service manual. Safety pins do not get it for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It worked great! Thanks.
Check out Raebear's post to me in the How To forum. It provides a perfect picture of the plug assembly that allows you to easily see how to do this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts