Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so, I haven't been here lately, been enjoying the ROD too much.
Unfortunately, earlier today, something weird happened. I got caught in a terrible downpour. I ran into a puddle, and the bike started acting in a bizzare manner. It chokes and stalls. Almost impossible to get the RPM's above 4K. I had to chug along home for 10 miles at 20mph, cause the bike wouldn't do a mile over 20mph. The bike pops and chokes when i turn the throttle. It idles unevenly and as soon as i turn the throttle, the bike stalls. :stilpoke:
What gives??

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Check Fuel Flange or Coil! :cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Super Kaz said:
Check Fuel Flange or Coil! :cool:
Kaz, thanks man. I had the fuel flange replaced under warranty.
The coild could be an issue, but i don't know where it is. :(
I don't know where the flage is for that matter:(

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Roman the flange is in the tank, the coil is bolted down on top of the valve cover directly on the spark plug and each cylinder has it's own coil.

Max

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Probably water in the electicals. If it clears up after it dries then that's the problem.

I would take a hose and try to recreate the problem. Not using a whole lot of water, a light spray would be prefered so you don't drown anything or get too much cold water on some really hot parts but selectively direct water at things like the motor top end, voltage regulator, throttle bodies (be careful not to get any water in the intake), anything with an electical connection would be suspect.

When the bike stalls you've found the culprit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Exact same symptoms I had awhile back. Had the flange replaced and no more problems! :ride:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, i had the bike completely washed last week-end. No problems whatsoever. I had the flange replaced last year. :( I gave the bike almost 24 hours to dry off, started it up this morning: Same problem. Ughh. Grrrr. :(

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Are you throwing any codes? (Does the check engine light blink or stay lit?)

The dealer can hook it up and run an electronics diagnostic and a fuel pressure test. If it's still under warranty then they should cover the cost of diagnosing and repair. If it's under an extended warranty then you'll have to pay for the diagnostic unless they find a covered part broken.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MJ, thanks. There are no codes. Engine light comes on and off sporadicaly. Something is definately broken, cause last time i checked, extended warranty covers everything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
roman... My fuel flange almost killed me! The first time i had the same thing happen. sputter no power 20mph all the way home. warranty fix..... Then before i ever heard of a recall the bike cut out while in traffic. It was the flange this time too. I am lucky my wife was driving behind me at that time. I did however lay the bike down because I was not able to hold the beast up in on the loose gravel. Bent stuff and had to pay to fix it. It is so scary that H-D did not take this defect seriously. I only found out about it while touble shooting it on the V-rod forum. I still have to get the recall done but don't think I sould have to foot the bill for damage to the bike caused by the flange failing in the most dangerous of places,traffic.
please get the recall done and be safe. Let me know if anyone feels the same as I do.
TIM

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TIM! Glad you wrote to me bro. I almost ended up as a hood ornament last year, I was making a left turn when the bike cut out. Almost got hit by a van.
I still ended up putting ~500 miles that day anyways. When i got home, to my own embarasement, I layed the bike down right in front of the parking spot, because of this problem. So, the good news is: I argued with the dealer here in chicago, and got HD to pick up the repairs. :)
Glad you are ok man. Keep me posted on what happens.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
roman said:
TIM! Glad you wrote to me bro. I almost ended up as a hood ornament last year, I was making a left turn when the bike cut out. Almost got hit by a van.
I still ended up putting ~500 miles that day anyways. When i got home, to my own embarasement, I layed the bike down right in front of the parking spot, because of this problem. So, the good news is: I argued with the dealer here in chicago, and got HD to pick up the repairs. :)
Glad you are ok man. Keep me posted on what happens.
I think you two and any others should work togther on this!It could Save the Lives of one of us besides Saving You your Money! :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am not sure where to start with this so if anyone has any ideas I would sure appreciate it. When I lost power that afternoon my heart stopped my breath was lost and then I remembered the thousands of pounds of SUVs behind me. Lucky my wife:angelwin:was behind me and paying attention. It may not come out as happy next time for me or someone else. The laying it down was not that big a deal knowing it could be worse, however the replacing of parts will hurt a bit in the pocket!
What I could use help with is, if anyone knows, is who or where do I send any concerns or postings to that may help H-D to open there eyes to the importance of customer safety and trust. I am not sure where my trust stands as of today, I do know my wife would like me to never get on it again.
Tell all V-rod owners to get there VIN checked ASAP, and please ride safe.
Thanks again for any help and ideas. TIM

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, as far as repairs go: Talk to your HD manager. Tell hime what the issue was, It all depends on what kind of relationship you have with your dealer. You may have to huff and puff a bit.
As far as safety, I am sure it's not lost on HD that there are safety issues. We might want to set up a thread where we track hardware failures that caused accidents?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
roman said:
MJ, thanks. There are no codes. Engine light comes on and off sporadicaly. Something is definately broken, cause last time i checked, extended warranty covers everything.
Re-read your extended warranty paperwork, you will be unpleasantly surprised :eek:

Major mechanical things are covered but there's a lot of minor systems that are not covered and if they dissemble the bike only to find out that a spark plug is at fault then you're going to get a bill for a lot of diagnostics work!

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
This is the first I have heard of this complaint. Could be electrical but if no codes are thrown this does not make sense. Are you runn'in toppless? the air filter could have been soaked and the intake ingesting water. I would like to know exactly what you have done to your bike, and the exact scenerio at the time you first encountered this. No X-FILE stuff Guy's. I know how you are. E-mail me or send a Priv. Later SKI

1 - 17 of 17 Posts