Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '07 NightRod came into the garage running fine the other, did usual shut down, run switch off then ignition switch off. Went out today for a coffee run ignition switch on run switch on and all systems seem to come up, lights fuel gauge, I can hear the fuel pump, etc., it turns over and will not start. Fuses appear ok and I do not have an alarm system? AACK I wanna ride. Any suggestions.

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
I had the same problem but mine quite at my local H-D shop. They replaced the solenoid, seems to be a common problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, which solenoid was it?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The sol would be if it would not turn over, if your bike turns over but does not start it is not the sol. Have you tried to pull codes to see if any codes are set, also does the key light come on by any chance?

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
VROD-DAN said:
Interesting, which solenoid was it?
MI should have read your post closer, your is turning over, mine wasn't. Not even a click or anything. I was told it was the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max- Thanks I will give that try................. also thanks the the code pulling info.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Max- OK, I have a "current" code of P0374........... now what? Thanks in advance for your time on this.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
That is the cranks shaft position sensor, the bike will not start without it. In fact the bike will act just as you describe if either the sensor is bad or has a bad contact at some point. The crankshaft position sensor mounts on the left side of the motor about 5 inches below the dipstick opening and just behind the wires you see coming out for the stator. Follow the wiring and plug at that point and make sure everything is making good contact and no wires damaged. Your bike should be under warranty so if you don't find any obvious damaged wires or connector I suggest contacting your dealer right away monday.

It also had to be working when you parked the bike, I hope you don't have rats or anything in the garage but you might pull the airbox cover to make sure you don't find any signs of rodents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your awesome, I will check it out and if no visable/apparent problem, off to the dealer.

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
Hi VROD-DAN,

Sounds kinda Like the problems I'm having at the moment with my '04 "B", I think my problem may be fuel pump, (Cranks but will not start, but I can't hear fuel pump run), keep us informed once you get it figured out!

Thanks!
Fred

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
1096369fred said:
Hi VROD-DAN,

Sounds kinda Like the problems I'm having at the moment with my '04 "B", I think my problem may be fuel pump, (Cranks but will not start, but I can't hear fuel pump run), keep us informed once you get it figured out!

Thanks!
Fred
Fred there is no doubt with Dan's bike that he has a crank sensor failure or wire issue. Did you check codes on your bike Fred?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Max, I brought her in to the dealer this morning and you where right, the crank sensor was junk.
I asked them to check one more thing while I was there........... a squeeking noise from the rear wheel hub area only when the temp is up and I have been riding for more that an hour or so. I only hear the noise at low speed (10mph), and won't go away while applying rear brake or excellerating or decellerating or while coasting in neutral. I also do not have any belt dust and alignment is right on. Any ideas ????

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
VROD-DAN said:
Max, I brought her in to the dealer this morning and you where right, the crank sensor was junk.
I asked them to check one more thing while I was there........... a squeeking noise from the rear wheel hub area only when the temp is up and I have been riding for more that an hour or so. I only hear the noise at low speed (10mph), and won't go away while applying rear brake or excellerating or decellerating or while coasting in neutral. I also do not have any belt dust and alignment is right on. Any ideas ????
is it the belt making noise.. mine did it for quite a few miles before it stopped.. it is a squeaking/whining noise only audible at very low speed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealer/tech checked everything short of disassembling the rear end and found all to be within spec., alignment is perfect, no belt wear. They said it is most likely belt noise although they could not get it make noise while on a trial road test. It appears at low speed on warm days after riding for an hour or more............??!! The dealer also said to clean the rear end and belt with soap and water to remove any dust and dirt. This bike has only 2600 miles on it and has always been garaged and has never seen rain........ it's clean!

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
VROD-DAN said:
The dealer/tech checked everything short of disassembling the rear end and found all to be within spec., alignment is perfect, no belt wear. They said it is most likely belt noise although they could not get it make noise while on a trial road test. It appears at low speed on warm days after riding for an hour or more............??!! The dealer also said to clean the rear end and belt with soap and water to remove any dust and dirt. This bike has only 2600 miles on it and has always been garaged and has never seen rain........ it's clean!
has it always done the nosie that you've noticed?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I started noticing the noise after two or three weeks.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
sounds about the same as mine... i dont notice mine any more with 4500 miles on it... either the blet wore in finally or I just got used to hearing it. How many miles are on your bike?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2600 miles........... The more I research and speak to others the more I believe it is the cush bearing.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts