Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to take a ride a few days ago, turned on the ignition and hit the starter. It cranked for a second then everything went dead, like somebody pulled the plug on the electrical.

While I couldn't imagine a battery problem, I nonetheless hooked it up the Battery Tender overnight. Just went out to try it and - nothing. No lights in the gauges. I did manage to get a ticking noise out of the unit, though.

I'm suspecting that the problem has something to do with the alarm system. I tried the fob and it worked a couple of times - at least the lights flashed on the gauge - but now even that doesn't generate anything.

I'm now heading for my manual, but does the fob have a battery in it that need replacing maybe?

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I would check the voltage of the battery. I'd also check the battery connections. If you are getting noises out of the cluster then it sounds like you have some voltage.

·
Registered
964 Posts
my guess is a connection as well. Check across the terminals. If thats good I would folow to the maxi fuse then down. Also check your frame and engine grounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was having electrical problems last year. I would be riding and all of the sudden it would turn off at a stop light. The lights would come on for a few seconds when I turned on the key but it was acting like the battery was dead. But this was an intermittent problem. I would leave the bike sit for a few hours and it would be fine again. Turns out the voltage regulator was bad.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
My guess is loose battery cables or a loose ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts