Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings DX lovers. I need some guidance. I am currently deployed to Kandahar, Trashcanistan (Afghanistan) and when I have a little time to think about non-combat related things... my little light at the end of the tunnel is making my 07' DX more bad ass by performing some mods when i get home.

Now, folks, I know that this is an extremely vague, shotgun blast kind of question, but I need some guidance as to what kind of mods are recommended in order to improve comfort, performance, and aesthetics. I really want my bike to have a lowered, sleek, batmobike, bad ass kinda look but I am very inexperienced with bike mods.

Like I said I know that this is an elementary question, but please provide guidance from the ground up.... what vendors carry the product.... what all complementary parts are needed to complete the mod.... etc etc. What are some recommended mods where I can get the most bang for my buck?

I am interested in new exhaust, that sleeker headlight option that is covered on the sticky for this forum, chopped down rear fender, front mirror relocation, some kind of mod for the turn signals to maybe put them into the fender and the handlebar posts, LED's, supercharger, some sort of suspension mod, and any other performance or aesthetics mods you all recommend.

I don't get a whole lot of time to use the internet so the more detailed guidance I get, the more efficiently I can search for parts... etc

Thanks a ton in advance for your time and for helping to fuel my day dreaming! My 07 DX provides my little mental escape from the devil's asshole that they call Afghanistan.

Zach

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well,

First off, thank you for your service. I don't envy you being in that shithole. :notworth:

Many folks start off with running the bike "topless", that is, removing the inner airbox cover so that the bike can breathe a little better. You can compliment the topless concept by installing a high flow air filter like one from K&N. Another economical move to compliment the topless concept would be to replace the stock mufflers with some slip on aftermarket mufflers (like those from TAB). Check out some of the stuff that Joker Machine offers. Quality gear. This is what I have done with my 2009 DX and the bike runs great. Good luck and keep your head on a swivel.

http://www.jokermachine.com/

http://www.grcustoms.com/

http://www.v-shop.us.com/

http://www.hogpro.com/showpage.php?page=main.htm

Phatass

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ah, my old stomping grounds. Let me know if you find my knife... Anyway, I've got to tell you that if you are internet limited you are just going to drive yourself nuts trying to compile your dream mod list right now without being able to visit all the sites and read the long forum threads. There is way too much info. But, some of the quickest and easiest ones include: Drilling or V-modding stock pipes, relocating the front turn signals, going topless in the airbox, getting black levers. Now if you want to start spending some of that tax free money from there in ass-crackistan, then go with 260 tire, TAB pipes, Progressive 440 shocks, different rear fender and lights.
Best bet is just try and get some time on this website and surf this forum as well as the General forum. You'll find a whole host of great ideas and beautiful bikes.
Finally, don't trust those hillbilly afghani's and get back in one piece so you can do your dream mods.

·
Chad
263 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service! Good info above but add to the list a good tunner when you change or mod the exhaust (I went with a Power Commander). Tires make a big dif. When the dunlops are ready to change go with another brand. Metzler(260rear) and Avon(250rear) are both popular choices. Another mod that is a can't miss is going with a 26 tooth front pulley (D.A. Fitzgerald). It allows you to better use the power that you already have. Hopefully you will be back soon to start with these mods and tons more!

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
Thanks so much for your service!
Keep dreaming of your VROD......when not involved in the hot stuff!!
Stay safe my friend.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hold on to your wallet here comes the MOD [email protected]!! youll find a ton of helpful info and people on this site! Invaluable really! Keep your head down and make it back to rag on that BATMOBIKE!!! and thanks for your service from our igloos up north in Canada!

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Stay safe brother! I just returned from Iraq. HD will extend your warranty for the days deployed if it was still under warranty when you got your orders.

Get your controls powdercoated black when you get home.
The progressive 440 rear shocks are my next purchase.
The HD Sundowner seat has been the best mod yet. went 2100 miles to Deals Gap and back with no issues at all. Very comfortable!

Keep your head down, Stay calm and make good decisions. GET YOURSELF HOME!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words guys! Hey and it's awesome to hear that I have some brothers in arms (COZWV, Runk-Rod) among the ranks.... thanks for putting up with the suck that you had to put with and paving the way for guys like me... Five good men were killed in an IED strike yesterday here in Kandahar so everyone back home never take for granted the freedoms and privileges that we are so lucky to be able to enjoy because of men who have made the ultimate sacrifice!

Please keep the recommendations coming!!! This is definitely giving me a good starting point.

Thanks again,
Zach

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
Thanks for your service.

If you really want a BATMOBIKE you can learn how to do it here. When people leave the sport or trade their bikes for newer ones they sell a lot accessories here. I would suggest looking in the parts classifieds where you can get a lot of ideas and deals, provided you have the ability to stockpile stuff while you are away. If you do buy used parts here do it smartly, have them shipped where they can be inspected and do it from a fresh user name so the seller dosen't think he is dealing with a noob on the side of the planet.

Good luck in the sand or the mountaintop or where ever the mission takes you.

·
Snapper
1,307 Posts
I know you are looking for a "lowered" look for the best bang but my suggestion is save and go for the Arnott air shocks. This way you have the best of both worlds... slammed to the gills and raised for twisties. It also gives the "Batmobile" neetoness when other people not aware check them out.

Basic mods to the engine\exhaust that were suggested are good for performance. High airflow filter (K&N), Topless (explained above), new exhaust, Fuel management system (Power commander, etc). These will max out horse power and torque without major engine mods.

Seats... the sundowner really is one of the more comfy ones. Run the stock AW pillion with it or modify the Sundowner pillion to get a more streamlined look. Your butt will thank you for this seat.

Run the VRSCB headlight (if you get a DX). You can pick these up pretty cheap on ebay or other places. This is truly an opinion mod but a lot do it and it really looks good.

Pegs, Grips, etc. Start looking for what are kewlest and most comfy for you. I suggest you check the classifieds on here as was suggested above. Tons of people selling great things for real cheap.

Keep your mind on the mission. Never trust anybody except your brothers in arms. Come back alive!

·
Registered
37 Posts
are you in 101st? i just got here a couple weeks ago, im in the nuristan province by the tora bora mountains, 4th deployment. if you are in 101st, when we get back maybe we can get together for some rides.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for your service. I worked there for a long time (including Kandahar) - if this is your first tour - DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON ANY ANP,ANA, CIVILIAN OR POLITICIAN THERE, PERIOD!
Definitely want to upgrade the suspension regardless if you are solo or two-up - I love my progressive 440s. I can't afford to do the forks yet but many here have very good things to say about the mod options there. A lot of info on that subject here. My seat is still stock but it could be better for long rides / my wife loves the passenger sundowner - did 2,400 miles to Sturgis and back. The computer seems to be lacking in the area of optimum tune so do some research on all the options there as far as tuners and dyno time. My bike is more set up for touring so if you have questions in that area ... Also, the grips are too small (for those with medium to large hands) and the material seems break down easily. BTW, they sell Cubans at the PX by the boardwalk if you dig cigars. Watch your six.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are you in 101st? i just got here a couple weeks ago, im in the nuristan province by the tora bora mountains, 4th deployment. if you are in 101st, when we get back maybe we can get together for some rides.
I wish I was brother! I'm down in Kandahar Province close to TF Strike. Hit me up on PM and we'll chat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your service. I worked there for a long time (including Kandahar) - if this is your first tour - DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON ANY ANP,ANA, CIVILIAN OR POLITICIAN THERE, PERIOD!
Definitely want to upgrade the suspension regardless if you are solo or two-up - I love my progressive 440s. I can't afford to do the forks yet but many here have very good things to say about the mod options there. A lot of info on that subject here. My seat is still stock but it could be better for long rides / my wife loves the passenger sundowner - did 2,400 miles to Sturgis and back. The computer seems to be lacking in the area of optimum tune so do some research on all the options there as far as tuners and dyno time. My bike is more set up for touring so if you have questions in that area ... Also, the grips are too small (for those with medium to large hands) and the material seems break down easily. BTW, they sell Cubans at the PX by the boardwalk if you dig cigars. Watch your six.
Hey brother! I've already enjoyed a Cuban or two. Did they have a big hockey arena in the middle of the boardwalk when you were here... It's like an epic event when the Canadians play... and who can forget the poo pond! And I am definitely interested in touring. Hell I want the bike to be all around I suppose because I can't afford to have a bike specifically for touring and one specifically for 100 miles or less... You know how they pay us enlisted Army guys.

Another elementary question... so what all is involved with making an airbox topless? Simple as replacing air filter and leaving the air box cover off?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks for your service and to all the men and women of the armed forces everywhere, keep up the good work! I kinda miss Ft Bragg and Camp Mackall, like Im sure you do right about now...I have the same bike, a 07 dx and this is a picture of the Bub7 2 into 1 exhaust I put on with power commander 5 EFI. Also, the frame bags I put on are handy for storage. Over the winter Im going to set my back end up for a solo seat and lower suspension so went I get that done Ill post some pics so you can see if you like the setup or not.

Attachments

·
butchVROD07
147 Posts
Zach,

I too am in the Army and returned from ASS-Krackistan this year. Look at my mods in the VRSCDX pic thread. I have all my MODS listed and if you need anything, friend me on facebook or shoot me an e-mail anytime. I ordered alot of my things while I was deployed and had them waiting for me when I got home... Big recommendation I have for you is: Arnott's Air-Ride, Get in on a group buy... Progressive front end 1" lowering kit. Heavycycles Taillight and then go to GR Customs and shop.... AAron is awesome and takes good care of me....

Good luck and keep your head down bro....

FB: Curtis Jackson.... My bike is the profile pic
E-Mail: [email protected]

Hit me up:spank::moped:

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum and from an ol vet <salute>... Seems like a lot of you boyz coming home decide on buying bikes... Keep your head down and make it home in one piece :)... The mods will be here when you get back :)... I'd only add one mod to what's already been suggested to you, a Trask Turbo :)... Light the fires and burn the tires the warrior's back in town :)...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts