Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Tracey
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my V-Rod about a month ago and I traded in my sport bike. I have always ridden with a full face on the sport but I am thinking about a 1/2 helmet for summer. However, I am not sure how comfortable a 1/2 helmet will be on the highway. I am curious, what do most of you use?

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
henderst said:
I just got my V-Rod about a month ago and I traded in my sport bike. I have always ridden with a full face on the sport but I am thinking about a 1/2 helmet for summer. However, I am not sure how comfortable a 1/2 helmet will be on the highway. I am curious, what do most of you use?
I use a full face on my Night Rod/Buell just because there is no windshield. Plus, they sure are nice to have in the sand and bugs.

·
Registered
553 Posts
henderst said:
Great question, here's what I do and why...
I have a new ICON Legion full face, a Bombedeir Modular full face, two half and two novelty polo types... I just did a nice run to Bend Ore from Portland and grabbed a half helmet, which was a bad mistake... Sun burned and torn up by triple digit winds I longed for my full face after the first hundred miles, big time!

To encourage myself to wear my full face I installed headphones for my iPod, for when riding it's about comfort and safety, wind noise and V-Rod power... I love my polo helmets and wear 'em in town some, but more and more I am evolving to full face all the time, for one never knows when it might become a critical choice, and a lifesaving decision. What makes sense is to find a very comfortable full face you don't mind wearing for me...

Attachments

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I've always used a novelty half helmet just because it seems more comfy (not so heavy) I've been trying to get used to a DOT half helmet that I've had for a long time but just never wore it. Me and the wife both are trying to get used to em just to be a bit safer. I just think the full face helmets are too big and heavy

·
Registered
340 Posts
Full face, have a half when I first bought the bike, have not worn it once though.

I'm always cleaning the bugs off the helmet, not sure I would want my face to be the delection shield....

·
Registered
922 Posts
henderst said:

How about a modular helmet or flip-face as some call them. I like my Nolan 102. It gives me the option to wear the face closed at highway speeds, face shield up at medium speeds and face open at very low speeds. Also its nice when I'm gassing up or stuck in traffic.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
ATGATT. Full face.

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
Full

·
Tracey
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am really surprised that most of you are riding with a ff. I ride with a couple of airhead friends who ride with no helmet at all who jokingly told me I needed to tone down the "space invader" look (ff) now that I had a real bike (Harley V-Rod). I already told him to piss off and not to cry to me when he cracked his skull.. but I am surprised at how many harley riders ride with no helmet at all..

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a Full Face (Suomy).. 3/4 with Removable Face Shield/Visor (Harley), and a Half (Harley)... I actually wear the 3/4 more than any, Its light, more visibility, less wind noise, and super comfortable. The Half is good for Hot Days, and short trips, The Full is Good for Intense Riding, or Just feeling extra safe, but for me it gives me a sort of tunnel vision, and I find it a bit bothersome at times. After Riding around in a 1/2 and 3/4 its hard to go back to a Full.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
OH how nice it must be to have the "CHOICE" to not wear one. I have a Novelty, No bugs here in SoCal to speak of. I have a Full Face its called my Car.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts