Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here found a helmet lock that will work on the V-Rod and look good / unobtrusive? The HD one won't fit, and most others are too big and ugly.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I fabricated a lock using a simple clip, bolt and some coated cable from Lowes.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
I lock both helmets (wifes n mine) to the front disc with a small pad lock. That way, I won't forget to remove the lock and try to ride away damaging the disc system.

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Here is my way, it is not a cheap alternative. I carry them in my saddle bags al the time. It takes me a only 3 minutes tops to lock my helmets to my bike. I have 2 pair of the Medium Master Lock Street Cuffs (They around $99.00 each and are rubber coated). I hook 1 end to the D rings on the helmets and the other end, I connect to my forks. Then I rest the helmets on the mirrors and handle bars. This works great for me. I have tried many other alternatives but found out the hard way at bike week last year when it rained. My helmets were soaking wet. This way the inside stays dry and clean. I have gotten my first HD 100th anniversary full face(had to buy another) stolen off my bike before (at an HD ralley) and I trust this method to protect my 2 $700.00 helmets. I have also used the cuffs to connect my bike to a solid and unremoveable structure. I had a friend get 2003 Fat Boy stolen at a local bike fest (Y-BOR) on the main drag.:eek:

Attachments

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MJW930 - Do you leave the cable hooked up under your seat while you ride? I'm looking for a way to lock it up with something that will stay with the bike.

·
Petrolhead
414 Posts
I use a small cable lock which can be used with one or two helmets.
You can attach anywhere it suits you on the bike.
I usually use the left front frame rail or fork leg (obviously avoiding the hot exhaust side)

Attachments

·
Petrolhead
414 Posts
It tucks snugly under the rubber flap beneath the seat and does not rattle around.

Attachments

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I keep the cable in the T-Bag but I like Creosote's hiding place ;)

The helmet pin is a nice idea but it means loosing a mirror :(

To keep the rain out we carry 2 waterproof helmet bags, I'm trying to get the Frog Togg people to make a helmet sized bag, the material is super light and compact and really sheds water well.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great ideas...I made one tonight that's very similar to yours. I used a car cover cable lock which had one end that was looped and one end had a flat washer-type connecter. First, I shortened the cable because it was pretty long. I connected the washer-type end with an existing bolt and left the other end with the loop free. I use it by pulling it out the left side, underneath the seat, looping it through the helmet, and then back under the seat. The loop of the cable then goes around the seat post lock when it shuts. I like this because I don't have to carry any other locks or keys, and it winds up around the gas cap (or under the front of the black rubber guard).
Also, you could use one of the flat, metal helmet lock extenders that they sell if it had a hole in the end large enough for the seat lock post to fit through it....i.e. slide it through the D-Ring on the helmet and then lock it right to the seat post lock. I'd be a bit concerned about the heat from the pipes on that side though.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Hey Mark, I wonder if you could rig something up so you could use the helmet pin in place of the clutch or brake lever pin. It mentions this on the web site but not sure it would work for a V-Rod?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Crash that is excellent, if you and others would like I can cut out your post and put it in the how-to section.

Max

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Really nice Crash. I have been using a gun lock, but like the idea of one less key on the keychain. Time to head to the hardware store.....

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Max don't know how I managed to start a new thread when I posted this but it was supposed to go under the helmet lock thread.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Your fine Z16monte, yours is just the first post on the second page. You are were you need to be.

Max

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
OK, Dang another brain fart

1 - 19 of 19 Posts