Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife loves to ride on the VRod but wants to talk while riding. Being female she enjoys to communicate of course. I have a birthday coming up and the family all wants to pitch in on the $$$. What are you using and what good and what is not?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Absolute best system on the planet, Autocom. I have over $600 invested in mine but it works and works well. They have a unit called "Easi 7 Advance" That will take care of you so long as you don't need bike-to-bike (radio) communications. $179 + $79 for the second headset. You won't be disappointed :D http://www.autocomamerica.com/

DO NOT BUY Chatterbox, total waste of money.

Nady is OK but not very flexible

JL is expensive and not very portable

There may be others but these are the top brands out there.

·
Registered
696 Posts
We, the group I ride with most of the time, have 5 of the GMRS series Chatterboxes and they work very well. The older generation of chatterboxes were pretty much useless.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
2ToneAnniversary said:
We, the group I ride with most of the time, have 5 of the GMRS series Chatterboxes and they work very well. The older generation of chatterboxes were pretty much useless.
ChatterBoxes are what my friends use also! ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Are you guys using these with open-face helmets and no wind shields?

If so, do you get a lot of wind noise?

·
Registered
696 Posts
DCLittlejohn said:
Are you guys using these with open-face helmets and no wind shields?
If so, do you get a lot of wind noise?
I/we have full face helmets. Even at 100+ MPH no noise when the sensitivity is turned down.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
2ToneAnniversary said:
I/we have full face helmets. Even at 100+ MPH no noise when the sensitivity is turned down.
FULL FACE ONLY! :kaz:

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Details?

Ok, just how do these things work? Where is the box located? On the bike somewhere? Are both of you plugged into it and have wires hanging from the helmet or under your jacket? Do you run the wires thru the jacket and then plug into the helmet? Can the headset be stereo?

Question, question, questions......

Thanks in advance,

HoldHard

·
Registered
503 Posts
My buddies and I use Chatterboxes... both new and old style... for snowmobiling and dirt biking... thankfully we haven't tried them on road bikes yet... because I 'll tell you... you end up with a bunch of inane , useless, constant chatter going on... and this is between really close friends.

The chatterboxes work well when they work... but they have very poor quality... one of my good buddies set himself up as a dealer.... so we only paid about 70 bucks for them... and they have REALLY GOOD warrenty service... so we just keep sending them in when they break.

greg

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I have an autocom system installed on my VFR for use with full faced helmets. Have had it installed for about 1.5 years now with no problems at all. I totally agree with MJW930 about the other makes vs. the Autocom. In fact I just garbaged a couple of brand new chatterbox systems, and a J&M system. About the only drawback of the Autocom system is that it does not have auto volume speed control and it does not work as well with open faced helmets.

If you are planning to use open faced helmets the best system on the market is made in Germany by Baehr. I have it installed on my CVO Electraglide. I can voice command my cell phone at 160 kph and the comm is so clear that the person on the other end thinks I am in the office. Comm between rider & passenger at 180kph is crystal clear and the mic does not need to be near your mouth, it also isn't false activated by wind noise. It has seperate volume controls for all inputs (4 + a radio), and seperate passenger and rider volume controls, wind noise settings, fade, and left & right balance. The difference between the Baehr & the Autocom is equivalent to the difference between the Autocom and the Chatterbox, but you pay for it.

Either system allows you to interface with a cell phone, bike to bike radio, CD/MP3 player or Sat radio. The autocom is smaller than the Baehr, but I am not sure where you would install either on a V-Rod. If you decide to go with either of these products you wont be disappointed. In the end if you want trouble free clear communications you will end up with one of these 2 products, hopefully not after you have spent a fortune on trying the others like I did. If you choose one of these, get the physical measurements from thier websites and make a block of wood the exact size. Use the wood block to see how you would fit it in the Rod before buying.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What powers these chatterboxes? A rechargeable battery pack in your jacket? or on the side of your helmet? or do you hook up some sort of accesory 12v to the bike? I know nothing as you can tell.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
darrellh said:
I have an autocom system installed on my VFR for use with full faced helmets. Have had it installed for about 1.5 years now with no problems at all. I totally agree with MJW930 about the other makes vs. the Autocom. In fact I just garbaged a couple of brand new chatterbox systems, and a J&M system. About the only drawback of the Autocom system is that it does not have auto volume speed control and it does not work as well with open faced helmets.
You are correct, the single biggest flaw in the Autocom is the lack of volume control but they addressed that with the new series. Only problem, it's not compatible with the headsets from the older series :banghead:

They also lowered the price on the base units. I think you get your money's worth with the Autocom now!

I agree 100% that the Baehr system is the top of the line. None better but it's another significant jump in price.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Young 1 said:
What powers these chatterboxes? A rechargeable battery pack in your jacket? or on the side of your helmet? or do you hook up some sort of accesory 12v to the bike? I know nothing as you can tell.
They have a rechargeable battery pack inside that lasts all day. The units mount to your helmet via a small clamp/bracket(no cutting or drilling) and it can be removed while leaving the speakers and mic still in the helmet. The whole assembly can be remove at any time with no sign of ever being installed on/in the helmet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lots of good suggestions here. Let me add a few more.

You can find several additional ideas from Sierra Electronics. You may also go with the recent recommendation in Motorcycle Consumer News, which suggested the best bet was two of those personal radios with minor adjustments. Very inexpensive.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
pasadenajim said:
Lots of good suggestions here. Let me add a few more.

You can find several additional ideas from Sierra Electronics. You may also go with the recent recommendation in Motorcycle Consumer News, which suggested the best bet was two of those personal radios with minor adjustments. Very inexpensive.
I need to check that out... I have 2 of those radios, and tried to get them to work, but had problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.