Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in NC and currently where a full helmet. Yeah, it gets hot sometimes and I can't wait to rip it off my head. Sure, it's tempting to drive faster in an effort to "turn up the AC". But I like my chin and face. I figure that it's not a question of "if" but "when" I wreck. (And I respectfully-fear that day!)

That said, I _would_ like to try a half-shell and glasses for short rides around town. But then again, I like my chin and face...

How did you decide what was the right helmet style for yourself? Was it your choice or was it influenced by a friend, a family member, or (hopefully not) past experience? Do you own several helmets and when do you decide to use one over the other? (it's not all fashion, right?!)

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
I also fear that it "may" happen but I don't dwell on it. I ride defensively and I'm always scanning for hazards. I too worry about impacting the ground with my face with a 1/2 helmet but that's just the risk we take when getting on two wheels.

I use a carbon fiber 1/2 helmet in the warmer months and a full face when it's cold.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I hear you BlueCamel. I kind of depends on price I'm finding. I'm on my third helmet now (all full face) and I have to say that it seems the more money you shell out, the better the helmet is. I started out with an HJC which was hot, loud, and pretty uncomfortable in the summers (DC heat no less). Now I have an Arai and I would never go back. The venting on the Arai is amazing and as long as I'm moving even just a bit, the ventilation keeps my head really cool. It also has vents in the face shield which is nice for clearing condensation on cool fall mornings. Another great feature is a pull out shield which comes out from the chin guard. It is phenominal how much wind noise just this little addition makes. I've ridden over 600 miles straight with this helmet on and never had any discomfort. Additionally, it is QUIET. no wind whistle fromt the face shield (either stock or after market which is amazing), no loud muffler noise, and little ambient noise. I use an internal comm system in my helmet and have never had a problem hearing my iPod, cell phone conversations, two-way PTT comms, or road noise. Granted, the Arai was about $450 and the HJC is about $120. I figure i'm better off getting a helmet that is perfect and I'm more likely to wear it because i'm comfortable than tempting fate with a skid plate. Just my two cents. Best of luck.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I have always used a Simpson Super Bandit black. Yea its hot in the summer and fogs in the winter but after a short ride with a police style shorty I felt the Simpson was more comfortable. I have gotten used to a full face and being thickheaded and brand loyal I will get another Simpson this time the Outlaw. I know people who as soon as they cross the SC line the helmet is comming off even at hiway speed. I guess to each his own. The only other real reason to wear a full face in the south is the bugs. When you get tagged with a junebug at 70mph it feels like a paintball. Have seen sunglasses removed form face by bug.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You could just wear a full face helmet and remove the face shield. Forum member Brothawolf rides like that. He took the shield off and just wears a pair of foam padded sunglasses under his conventional full face. I use a Nolan modular and it has detent that allows me to pop open the shield about a 1/2 inch. That allows plenty of air in at slower speeds. I usually leave the shield cracked until I hit about 50 mph, then I just snap it shut. If I stop at a light, then I open the shield all the way.

·
Ryan
4,192 Posts
I use a Caberg Justimo modular "flip-up" helmet. It is a great helmet. When it gets warm, I just flip the chin bar up. It also has a built-in sun visor like a fighter pilot helmet so you don't need to worry about switching visors for day or night. I highly recommend this helmet.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
CaptClose said:
I use a Caberg Justimo modular "flip-up" helmet. It is a great helmet. When it gets warm, I just flip the chin bar up. It also has a built-in sun visor like a fighter pilot helmet so you don't need to worry about switching visors for day or night. I highly recommend this helmet.

It has to act like a sail if it's flipped up at speed...I have a KBC flip up (same as HD Stealth)...and it wants to rip your head back with the front flipped up at speed....just my observations...

·
Ryan
4,192 Posts
mustanggt said:
It has to act like a sail if it's flipped up at speed...I have a KBC flip up (same as HD Stealth)...and it wants to rip your head back with the front flipped up at speed....just my observations...
Yep, I speed it does have a sail effect. I have had the stealth helmet as well and the Caberg is much better in that aaspect IMO. I think maybe because it has a shorter profile chin piece.

Anyway, when I am at highway speed, I normally have the chin bar down since I can get plenty of airflow by simply cracking the visor up a bit. The only time I feel the need to lift the chin bar is when I am at a stop light or in stop and go traffic or cruising around town at lower speeds.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The first time you try it will probably be the time when you should of had a full face helmet on.....don't do it!!

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CaptClose said:
Anyway, when I am at highway speed, I normally have the chin bar down since I can get plenty of airflow by simply cracking the visor up a bit. The only time I feel the need to lift the chin bar is when I am at a stop light or in stop and go traffic or cruising around town at lower speeds.
I also have the Harley Stealth but only raise the chin bar when I need full view, like at a stand-up ATM or pumping gas. With the chin bar up it feels like I'm balancing a pineapple on my head. Just awkward.

I've tried cruising with the face vent slightly cracked but always end up getting *something* blown in.

Did your chin snap tear off? After 3 years use mine did! Shortly before that a zipper broke on my HD jacket. I don't mind paying $$$ for Harley branded accessories but I do mind if they don't hold up! :banghead:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I do not trust modular helmets...they will not even allow you to use a modular helmet at racetracks.

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JDR_ROD said:
The first time you try it will probably be the time when you should of had a full face helmet on.....don't do it!!
Yeah, I do think about the few times cruising at 35-45mph where *splat* a large bug plastered itself on my face shield. That's just the 4mi drive to work!

Red welts and bug guts are sexy, right?

·
bushatesblaksabath!
1,066 Posts
CaptClose said:
I'm with the Capt. on this one. I have the Caberg C2, and its phenomenal. Tested at Ferrari's wind tunnels, its as aerodynamic as you're likely to find. Great ventilation, great noise reduction, and the flip down visor really scratches that Top Gun itch I know we all have...

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I drive a Harley, not fly a jet. Of course, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts