Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Vega Mach 1 full face helmet. Going down the highway I get alot of lift and the interstate is even worse. When I got up to 90mph I thought it was going to ripe my head off. I have never wore a helemt before but there has to be something wrong. 07dx no windshield. When I was fitted for a helmet they said I was a large but I was bitting my :moon: (my other set) so I got a XL which is more comfortable but maybe to big??? not sure.
Jason

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a full face as well, not a fancy one, and on the road, it either lifts, or pushes straight back, (bent my wire rim glasses after awhile tho not bad,) I wasnt pleased, but it was better than bouncing June-bugs off my bald head.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
A full face helmet should be tight enough that when you shake your head, your scalp is twisting with the helmet. If it doesn't, its too big. You'll also experience lift depending on the brand of helmet. I have an HJC and have no lift at all. If the helmet is too tight in the face, but just right in the head, check about getting smaller cheek pads. Most helmets have adjustable pad options for just this case.

·
Greg
604 Posts
The best method I ever came across for checking helmet fit (full face), is having someone hold onto the chin guard area and then you try to move your head back and forth (left-to-right-to-left). If you can move your head inside the helmet, it's too big. What should happen is that the helmet ought to turn the person's hands holding onto the helmet. If yours seems to fit correctly, make sure the chin strap is TIGHT when you wear it. If you still get lift, it may just be the design of the helmet.

I have an HJC and an Arai. Both are properly fitted. With the HJC I get a lot of the type of lift you describe (it's pretty much unwearable beyond 70 mph). With the Arai I get no lift at all, at any speed.

·
VRSCDX
461 Posts
Jeck said:
I just purchased a Vega Mach 1 full face helmet. Going down the highway I get alot of lift and the interstate is even worse. When I got up to 90mph I thought it was going to ripe my head off. I have never wore a helemt before but there has to be something wrong. 07dx no windshield. When I was fitted for a helmet they said I was a large but I was bitting my :moon: (my other set) so I got a XL which is more comfortable but maybe to big??? not sure.
Jason
I think your helmet is a size too big.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
It's probably (likely) too big.
I buy one that's tight, then use a ball peen hammer on the INSIDE of it to form the foam to fit where it is tight. If it's not comfortable I won't wear it and then it's useless, so I gotta make it fit good. Not easy with a big ass mellon like mine.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Jeck said:
When I was fitted for a helmet they said I was a large but I was bitting my :moon: (my other set) so I got a XL which is more comfortable but maybe to big??? not sure.
Jason
Trying to ween myself from my novelty helmets into a safe helmet I got an ICON Legion in a size large. It fits tight, but once on is engineered to be perfectly comfortable... One thing I found was, just like headphones, pulling down on the chin to position it for cutting thru the wind without lifting or moving around is the key for maximum comfort, and I can use my Sennheiser earphones for a perfect sound track for it all... Hardly any wind noise with this helmet, and while it's a full face it's almost as light as some of my novelty ones.

If it's too big get a smaller one that fits just right... When, and or if, you need it some day you want it fitting right...
A side benefit is triple digit speed are actually easy to sustain without my eyelids flapping like sheets in the wind... Better iPod sound, less wind noise, profoundly safer, less concern about a downpour or swarm of killer bees???
Yeah, that works for me... ...even a caveman gets that equation...

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Jeck said:
Jason
The fit can be a little loose without lifting.. Make sure it is strapped snug and not too loose, but the helmet design can do this.. I have had some FF helmets that have more lift and resistance than others.. The Harley FXRG FF helmet is what I wear now and it is pretty good.. No lift, and I can turn my head without it wanting to snap my kneck.. Been to over 100 MPH with it and still no problems.. :ride:

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
You need a smaller helmet or a bigger windshield :)

·
Freedom
614 Posts
I suspect it may just be too big. I have four full face helmets (Shoei, Arai, Schuberth, AGV) all fitted properly and none of them have any of the lift of which you speak. I prefer the Shoei RF1000 as it is the quietest, the Arai RX7 Corsair has the best ventilation.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
This thread reminds me of my grandfather...He once told me that if my helmet
did not fit tight enough to put my thumb in my mouth and blow real hard.

Thanks for the memory replay...LOL

Rod

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I took the helmet back and got a size M. Still get the lift. Not as bad as before but enuff that its not comfortable to wear it on the interstate. Could it have something to do with the air coming off the headlight(DX) that is hitting me just right to cause it?

·
Michael J
740 Posts
My FF is too tight as it feels like my head in a vice, hurts after 1/2 hour, still lifts. Early 80's Simpson. Is there a legitimate reason for a ( freshness date ), other than to sell helmets? I've heard that the fiberglass gets brittle and loses impact resistance. If this were true wouldn't things like boats, gas-tanks, aircraft, and such need replacing after 5 years too?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
A helmet should fit very snug...the material will breakdown overtime.

·
Inked up Irishman
2,829 Posts
Those other things do break down over time mike but OSHA requires that you replcae your hard hat every two years for the same reason and I would believe them.. the salt and UV is what kills them and not many people maintain their helmet the way they maintain their boats.The lift could have some thing to do with fit but more than likely helmet design most helmets aren't designed to go that fast my shoie X-11 on the other hand has wings on it to stabilize it at hight speeds highly recommended and you can get one cheap now at www.helmetharbor.com well still not cheap but a good price for the best helmet I ever owned...

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
Jeck said:
Jason
Jason, I tend to think that the helmet is too large for you. If it fits right it shouldn't lift. I also have a DX, no windshield and a large full face helmet, mine doesn't lift or push back. It fits like a glove. You should see if you can exchange your helmet for a large and try riding like that.

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tagrat said:
Jason, I tend to think that the helmet is too large for you. If it fits right it shouldn't lift. I also have a DX, no windshield and a large full face helmet, mine doesn't lift or push back. It fits like a glove. You should see if you can exchange your helmet for a large and try riding like that.
I got a Medium and still the same problem. Could it just be the helemt then? Vega Mach 1 helemt. Anyone else have this helemt?

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
The breakdown has something to do with the foam insulation inside the helmet. The air pockets break down so the impact resistance becomes less with time. There is built in obsolescence for you. Replace every 5 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts