Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jus' took mine off ready to do the HD replacement (on order) guys, do I have to replace with all new bearings?? my bike has 500 miles ....is HD recommending a direct swap of all parts or ??

I have NOT taken the swing arm bolt out yet but it looks like it will not clear the exhaust..never thought I would have needed to take that off too...... I have the bike on a lift will I need to woory about the rear engine support when I pull the bolt out??

any help from you guys who have done this swap would be appreciated

THX!!:cheers:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The exhaust does need to come off to make it easier. When you get ready to pull the bolt and the rear swing arm make sure to lower the jack so that the front tire just touches the ground. If the weight loss makes the bike shift the jack will not tip that way. I have had mine off but did not change it to the chrome so I can't answer the bearing question but I always prefer to replace bearings with new components.

Max

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
i thought all 03's already had chrome swingarms on them :confused:

i never messed with the swingarm, but i have read you need to be real careful when taking the exhaust off, for you can easily dent the ends if not careful.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
FastVRSCA the swing arm is polished aluminum from the factory. If yours has chrome the dealer had to install it.

Max

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jus lowering to touch the front eh? what a pain to take the front part of the exhaust too already took the slip ons off it looks like a task....

this chrome swingarm thing hopefully is worth it as the polished looks like crap and impossible to polish on the bike:icon_twis

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
vilzrod said:
jus lowering to touch the front eh? what a pain to take the front part of the exhaust too already took the slip ons off it looks like a task....

this chrome swingarm thing hopefully is worth it as the polished looks like crap and impossible to polish on the bike:icon_twis
huumm mine must just be polished....what is the benefit of the chrome one?
is it lighter?
would'nt it be prone to pit and rust like chrome rims on cars,etc?

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
I replaced mine with a chrome arm. Dont need to replace the bearings. Harley will ALWAYS tell you that just cover their butts. A suggestion is to always remove the exhaust to the cinch clamp. You will never forgive yourself if you are wrenching on something and slip and dent the exhaust. I would suggest replacing the cinch clamp every 5 or 6 times you remove the exhaust. It does kinda stretch out over removing it and torque'n it down all the time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the cinch clamp is where the slip on bolt to?? or farther up?? So far I just took off the slip ons.... Any other pointers to the job Manhorse??

As Someone who has the chrome swingarm can comment that it is much much nicer I'm sure??

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
"If it doesn't Go Fast Chrome it!"Chrome Parts usually Always weigh More so in order to go Faster I try and stay as Light as Possible!;) I would go Chrome Fork Sliders also.They Much better than the stock ones!The Swing arm is Polished so the difference from Chrome is not as Drastic as the front sliders!Also take those Geeky @ss REFLECTORS OFF THE FRONT FORK SLIDERS PEOPLE!:rolleyes:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
This is what I mean!:2cents

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
What do you think of as easier to maintain and be made to look good, chrome or poilsh?

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Chrome, Right?
I do not currently have the chrome forks or swingarm on my V-Rod. I may never get them. To me (maybe I am the exeption here), the worst part is the cleaning, the hours. I want it to look very good but still, I hate the cleaning part. In the end it MUST be done.
Sometimes we get home so very tired, play some pool, drink one, two, maybe 20 beers or maybe you cannot drink anymore. Maybe tomorrow we go riding again. Nobody goes out with a dirty motorcycle. Cleaning, AGAIN!
Mothers is not a cheap product and the V-Rod consumes it in very large quantities.
Chrome not only looks better. Chrome is much easier. Quality of life improves for those of us that are too lazy to spend more than two hours cleaning a bike. Getting the swingarm to look like Ketsugos sliders is a painful job.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
True!

Once you get it to look right. Do you then use anything on it so it will last. I find it starts fading quickly and you always want it looking like in your photo. Then I go back to Mothers.
Still, that look when first going out, is the most critical and when you see every defect.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I take about 30 minutes once a month to get all the polished surfaces to stay looking perfect. I find pride in doing it, so I really enjoy the little time it takes, but that's just me.

john

1 - 20 of 27 Posts