Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Members,

I hope everyone is well! I'm consulting to your collective knowledge about an issue I have with my Harley V-Rod (2012 Anniversary Edition).

I've searched the forum for quite bit but could not find a pinpoint similar issue to this (I think). Any help is much appreciated!

So my bike was sitting idle for about 2.5 years due to the pandemic. Last week I took it to a repair shop (with a tow car - didn't attempt to start it, the battery was dead anyways).

The repair shop did all the necessary maintenance - changed all the fluids, cleaned/changed the spark plugs, carburators, brake pads, installed a new battery etc etc.

Today I rode the bike home and realized two issues after spending time with it:

- When I start the bike, a heavy white smoke comes out for maybe 10-15 seconds from the back of the engine area: Youtube Link - White Smoke after startup. (I say back of the engine area but I don't really know the name of that area)

- When I shut down the bike after riding it for a bit, again, a thick white smoke is dispersed from around the same area. YouTube Link - White Smoke after shutting down.

As a note, the weather where I live (Istanbul) is not especially hot or cold right now (around 70 degrees fahrenheit / 20 degrees celsius). (I saw some posts saying this is water evaporation in cold water- but I don't think that's it in my case)

Do you know what might be causing this? Some forum posts suggest that these may be due to water evaporation or coolant leakage, and some "rings" should be replaced.. But I'm not sure they are referring to the exact same issue.

Does this issue go away (i.e. it is not serious), or should I take it to the repair shop right now?

Thank you very much for your support, it means a lot!

Best,
Ozgur

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Thanks for all the answers @frogman_h2o, @Moler, @rbabos, @coastrider ! Really appreciate it.

When you say there is a problem with the breather hose, do you mean it might have cracks or is it something to do with sealing rings that attaches to it? (or both?)

Thank you!
Possibly both. The hoses deteriorate with age and crack letting oil drip in obscure places. The "bullets" that plug into the cyl heads for the hoses to attach to have "O" rings and are also known to leak.

·
Registered
129 Posts
All good input from others above but I have had experience with something similar before.
My excess oil dripping happened right after an oil change at the dealer.
No problems before the service but immediately after that on a few rides I noticed oil dripping down the front cylinder.
I thought at first it was coming from the head but upon closer inspection it was from above.
I pulled everything off the top and pulled the air filter and oil was pooling there.
I mopped that up and sucked a little oil out of the fill port to the proper level and no issues after.

Check that your oil isn’t overfilled and then look for at the breather hoses as others have mentioned.
Hopefully something relatively minor whatever the cause.

Good luck with it and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Members,

I hope everyone is well! I'm consulting to your collective knowledge about an issue I have with my Harley V-Rod (2012 Anniversary Edition).

I've searched the forum for quite bit but could not find a pinpoint similar issue to this (I think). Any help is much appreciated!

So my bike was sitting idle for about 2.5 years due to the pandemic. Last week I took it to a repair shop (with a tow car - didn't attempt to start it, the battery was dead anyways).

The repair shop did all the necessary maintenance - changed all the fluids, cleaned/changed the spark plugs, carburators, brake pads, installed a new battery etc etc.

Today I rode the bike home and realized two issues after spending time with it:

- When I start the bike, a heavy white smoke comes out for maybe 10-15 seconds from the back of the engine area: Youtube Link - White Smoke after startup. (I say back of the engine area but I don't really know the name of that area)

- When I shut down the bike after riding it for a bit, again, a thick white smoke is dispersed from around the same area. YouTube Link - White Smoke after shutting down.

As a note, the weather where I live (Istanbul) is not especially hot or cold right now (around 70 degrees fahrenheit / 20 degrees celsius). (I saw some posts saying this is water evaporation in cold water- but I don't think that's it in my case)

Do you know what might be causing this? Some forum posts suggest that these may be due to water evaporation or coolant leakage, and some "rings" should be replaced.. But I'm not sure they are referring to the exact same issue.

Does this issue go away (i.e. it is not serious), or should I take it to the repair shop right now?

Thank you very much for your support, it means a lot!

Best,
Ozgur
What i would do:

1 - check for the rubber breather hose that goes from the rear cyl into the air box (look for oil leaking)

2 - check coolant and oil levels

If 1 is OK then i would take it for a ride 25 - 30 minutes keeping an eye on the coolant.

And yes, check for smoke smell first. If i told you that was my 1st step id be lying since i cant smell even if a rotten fish farts next to me

·
Kidzap
1,069 Posts
I'd find it hard to believe that a head gasket would let go from just sitting, I'd be checking the breather tubes and all coolant hose clamps and hoses. Keep an eye on the coolant level ................

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the answers & support! Yes, apparently the rear breather tube is cracked, spilling fluids.. I'll order the part 29505-05A and the dealer will replace it.

Best,
Ozgur

1 - 13 of 13 Posts