Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed that my heat shield has started to blue in a certain area (see attached pic). Is this normal or is this a sign of running rich?? Thanks! Note the pic doesn't show the actual bluing, just the location of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Rich won't run hot - lean will. If the shields are bluing, that's pretty damn hot. You running a fueler?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I'm no expert on EFI, but I've always thought that running lean can cause popping. As far as a dobeck... ??? no experience with that. You need to get a tune one way or another.

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
Check to make sure the connection from the 2 headers into the third volume isn't leaking. Mine was leaking and started to discolor in the said area.

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
Give a close inspection - should see signs of carbon. Also, I checked mine when the bike was cold and first started by just placing my hand down there - I could feel the exhaust. The bike does warm up fast so be carefull doing it this way.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
louballs said:
If it is a leak, how do i fix it???
Make sure the volumes are aligned and seated well and then tighten the clamp.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok here are the picks of the bluing. I held my hand on that spot when i started the bike and i felt some air flow so i guess there is definitely a leak. Should I fix that myself or should i call HD and have them do and replace the now discolored heat shields??? Its still under warranty....thanks!

Attachments

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
If it's still under warranty take it in. Otherwise you can make sure the clamp is tight. I think mine is about a half turn from breaking and still leaks a little but not much. you can clean your heat shield with "magic rub". I got some from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts