Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:chainsaw:
help, just got some 'daytona' heated grips, they have to have the connector wire run through the inside of the handle bars. mines a stock 07 vrcsaw. what do i do and how, then whats the best thing to connect off once done?
anyone offer advice plllleeeez.
cheers
honk.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I'm guessing these are heaters that install inside the bars? All you need to do is remove the grips for access to the end of the bars, then remove enough of the instrument clamshell to access the center of the bar. The hardest part of the whole thing is drilling an access hole in the center of the bar if one is not already available.

Once you have access to everything it's pretty easy to run the wires down the bars and out the center hole. It it were me, I'd run all the wires through the bars while I was at it (maybe more drilling).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dude but they are heated grips so i gotta somehow take off orig grips then feed the connector wire thru orig bars to connect, stock bars have a good bend in em still wondering how i,m gonna do it

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Electricians trick is to use a snake first and then pull the wire attached to the snake. Use a copper wire #12 should be stiff enough to push but give enough to go through the bends.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
and then connect to the Accessory fuse under the passenger pillion. You can either tap into at the back of the fuse box or use an Access-a-fuse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
by the way you fella's from the usa are lucky boys i'm jealous of your longer riding season, oh for sun and warmth!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another good tip m8 thanks, excuse the mechanically crap, i intend to change this and get hands on with her alot more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aow.... you got the same ride as me ever considerred drilling the stock exhuast like the threads recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
That's 2.5mm just noticed you're in the uk. Feed it easy to make sure no snags.

I do love my heated grips!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I considered drilling holes for about 10 minutes. I heard some youtube sound bites and it sounded OK, then I heard sound bites for the complete VMOD and like that more.
Once I found out that I could drill two holes (2" & 1-3/4") instead of a dozen or so other holes, I was sold on the full Vmod. (even though it required a tuner)
IF you do decide to drill instead of VMOD, try to find an older set of pipes to drill instead of your newer ones. Reason is that your newer pipes have much smaller baffles, so if you decide to do a full vmod you can drill a much smaller hole at the exit end than you can with the pre '06 pipes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
for running wires another thing you can do is take a long peice of string and tie it to the wires tightly insert the string into one hole and put a vacum hose on the other end and suck the string through the hole then you should be able to pull the wires through.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts