Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who elect to keep their V-Rod exhaust system stock should check the torx fasteners that hold the heat shields on the pipes. I had one screw vibrate out. ordered the replacement screw.....3.00 bucks for a 6 MM X about 1/4 " fastener. Took the heat shield off, and found out that the fastenr secures to a square nut. Well, that was gone, so I used a metric 8.8 nut, ground down the size to fit.

Checked the other screws, they were loose too. MoCo sells the screw with a locking agent already applied, but with the heat, it looks like over the miles, it breaks down, and allows the screws to vibrate loose.

Not a major issue, but one that if not tended to might allow the shield to come off while on the road.

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Be sure to use red loctite on the screws, that will help.

I think I have 4 extra bolts and 3 extra nuts for the heat shields. Had to replace one of my heat shields and just ordered an auxillary volume off e-bay for about $10.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Rich is absolutely correct on this one. I had a couple of the screws fall out myself last year. Not a disaster by any means, but it still meant a trip to the dealership to replace them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, I lost one of the screws yesterday on a ride, stopped by ace hardware and got a replacement(not stock looking by any means) and it too came out. So, looks like I lost the nut, which I was not aware existed.
Thanks for the great info on this. I'm gonna locktit the remaining.

Incidently, I have lost both bottom exhaust screws too, so might want to check those guys regularly. I do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts