Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -- quick question for you all...

As a 21yr old, i've been flying airplanes and riding bikes for the last few years. Of course, both are noisy and i've read article after article about people losing their hearing. Awhile back, I was told that I should use ear plugs when I fly. I have a noise cancelling headset so I never bothered...although I may start now. I was wondering...should I be doing the same on my motorcycle? I wear a full-faced helmet and heard that those only help with wind noise a tiny bit. Any recommendations? Anyone here use ear plugs?

Thanks.

:stooge:

·
Chuck
2,292 Posts
Without earplugs, I'd be deaf. I wear them more because of the wind noise than no baffles in my pipes and no helmet.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
What did you say? I can't hear you.. :stilpoke:

Seriously, I use earplugs.. :)

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
Nate552 said:
I ride with my ipod and use in Sony ear bud style earphones. They offer enough protection so that my ears do not hurt after a ride.
I do the same thing. Matter of fact I don't even need to turn the volume up full. I think you could use your iPod and a good set of ear buds. Made the difference to me.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
The iPod is a cover up UNLESS you are using noise isolation earphones.

Go to a gun show and find the guy who makes custom molded earplugs. If you can afford it, buy two sets....the second one equipped with audio for connection to your iPod.

I have a set of these and they are great for riding, shooting, airplanes, mowing the lawn, etc. You won't be sorry.

Cheers!

·
Trailers R 4 Boats
1,271 Posts
Since the US Navy was kind enough to fix my ears I'm hard of hearing, funny thing was I could hear just fine before. Anyway I digress, I bought custom molded ear plugs. you can get them with speakers for your MP3 player or you can get them without. If anyones interested PM me and I'll supply the contact information and website when I get home. I use my earplugs stand alone, with the MP3 player, and with the Autocom intercom system.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
VRSCX22 said:
Best investment you can make!!!!!!!!

I bought a set in Daytona 3 years ago but they make pressure build up inside my head and it's almost impossible to hear outside conversation...$55 wasted...but I guess they work for other people w/o a problem.

·
Trailers R 4 Boats
1,271 Posts
My issues come from permanent perforations, pressure build up is not an issue for me.
mustanggt said:
I bought a set in Daytona 3 years ago but they make pressure build up inside my head and it's almost impossible to hear outside conversation...$55 wasted...but I guess they work for other people w/o a problem.

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
65% deaf in one ear and 50% deaf in the other where I wear an aid. I think without the aid I wouldn't hear sirens or other vehicles at all. So I had my ENT program a very low setting on the aid. Can't hear voices with it but I can hear enough on the road.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I alway ride with soft foam earplugs.
My Dad has perpetual ringing in his ears and it drives him nutz.
I just don't like the old ringing in the ears for a few hours after a ride.
You also hear mechanical sounds from the bike you can't hear without earplugs.
(did I really say that?)!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was just about to say, the Shures rock and are damn nice for the price. Search Shure and you find a couple threads in the last couple months debating different brands and custom-moldeds and noise-cancellings.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts

·
Nucking Futs
1,109 Posts

·
Trailers R 4 Boats
1,271 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts