Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headlight

Has anyone tried to use the main beam headlight i.e. the one that, if you switch it on, also turns on the blue indicator in the clamshell?

I tried it yesterday on an unlit road and the glare from the blue light was so bright it meant my vision was impaired rather than improved. I switched it off - the dipped beam was much better.

Has anyone else found this?

Cheers
Christine

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hmmm, I use the high beam (blue indicator) always during the day and often when out on backroads at night. No glare problem for me when using it at night.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
My eyes are blue or green depending on the lighting and what I'm wearing but the high beam indicator does'nt bother me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Beam....Low Beam

Hey Christine...my eyes are light colored and the hi beams seems to be a little bright to me too. I routinely use the low beams at night...but the low beam on this bike is much brighter than the high beam on my Sportster. Also, when I first got my bike the beam was too high and had to be adjusted lower at the dealership. :cool:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
All you need to adjust the vertical angle of the headlight is a 4mm allen wrench. There are 2 4mm allen bolts on either side of the headlight... loosen them a bit and the whole thing will pivot. I had to adjust mine after getting some feedback from friends who had the misfortune of being in front of me at night.

Christine,
Maybe a piece of translucent black film, like mylar, might dim that blue high beam indicator. It is awfully bright.

Greg

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys
I suspect my low beam is a bit high - I've noticed a few car drivers in front of me shield their eyes. I'll lower it now I know how.
I agree the low beam is much brighter than any other bike I've had so I don't think I'll need the high beam much but I will cover the blue light just in case.

Christine

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
My experience with the headlights is that the "high beam" seems to throw a lot more light off to the sides - its beam seems a lot wider - but that it does not throw much light very far down the road. For that reason it seems most appropriate to use it when travelling relatively slowly at night, and in those instances where you might want to be alerted to animals appearing at the side of the road. I find it of little or no value at high speeds on straight roads (i.e. freeways), since the areas it illuminates are passed before you could possibly react to anything you see there.

I also find the brightness of the high-beam indicator bulb to be a little irritating - and I have relatively dark eyes. I also find that the glare of the high beam causes unpleasant reflections in my windshield (S/S).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts