Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I did a search and am just as lost after reading several threads as I was when I started.

I have an AW 08 and it has two bulbs. Which one would you upgrade to HID and what is the size I need to purchase? I want to increase my light output and yet do not want to kill the eyes of on coming drivers. I have been using my high beam exclusively even on dark mornings (5am) and the on coming drivers have yet to flash me. That doesnt say much for the light output.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

·
Registered
73 Posts
If the Rod's stock lights are anything like my Warrior's lights - they pretty much suck. I'm in the market for new headlights as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm pretty sure you'll only want to upgrade the buld that mounts in your low beam. It's the one that has a shield in front of the bulb inside the headlight housing. The High beam isnt shielded and I'm almost positive on coming drivers dont want to stare into the retina burning welding arch of the HID lamp. Do the HID upgrade it's been one of my favorite mods. The stock headlight does need help. I think mine is 6000k it has a blue tint but their is no missing me after dark. When I ride in a group at night its very obvious where the light is coming from. It's Fu*@$! A bright!

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
I would definitely do the low beam rather than the high beam.. you will find that a low beam with an hid is more effective than a stock high beam light anyways

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
pbennett said:
If the Rod's stock lights are anything like my Warrior's lights - they pretty much suck. I'm in the market for new headlights as well.
Check out rswarriorsforum.com or something like that. I have a good buddy who is a member over there. It is supposed to be the parallel to this just for warriors. (not trying to chase you off).

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure the warrior is worse if its anything like my buddies vstar 1100 custom! His on low points like 10' in front of him and on high maybe 18' and doesnt even light much of the other lane. I myself have made 12 or so trips in the dark to work and so far had one cager flash me.

Thanks as well Gdub for the info on that warrior site I will send my buddy there. He is jealous of 1130cc.

Thanks for the info guys I will be ordering one for the low beam then.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a very easy mod that allows both bulbs to be turned on when you turn on your high beams. You migh try that as an alternative before going to the HID. I did the mod and it took about 5 mins. It is a vast improvement. That being said, I think I'm still going to switch to HID, just because I like the looks. Scroll through the thread below, there are some instructions and pictures.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68876&page=2&highlight=high+beam+mod

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have HID's on my murano and nothing beats them. I read about the dual lamping but I really do not want the extra current draw nor the chance of something over heating the wiring. Just got 3 year service award at work for $150 and I plan on putting it towards the HID upgrade :)

Thanks for the suggestion though!

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
man those are cheap!!

i would hate to say you probably get what you pay for but it might be worth it at only $75

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
So has anyone installed this? Do they work, noticable difference?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts