Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a V-Rod headlight on ebay. I received it today and it is different than my existing headlight. It has three bulbs. My stock 03 headlight has only two bulbs. What's up. Can anyone help me on this one. :helpme:

Attachments

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Did it come from overseas?Maybe it's from Canada?I haven't seen 3bulbs,maybe one is a fog light:cool:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
According to the Owner's Manual it is a Position Lamp. :hmm: Used on International registered bikes only.

Question is: What is a Position lamp????

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
it's an HDI V-Rod headlight... HDI == Harley-Davidson International

and that is a position lamp... which I have no idea what purpose it serves.

also, check the wattage on the bulbs... they may be higher than your USA light.

·
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DrHeathenScum said:
it's an HDI V-Rod headlight... HDI == Harley-Davidson International

and that is a position lamp... which I have no idea what purpose it serves.

also, check the wattage on the bulbs... they may be higher than your USA light.
Joe,

55W low beam, 65W high beam, the other is a 5W:confused:

·
4,638 Posts
FRANK...
I have seen those lights on bikes in Germany.... The light is used when the bike is parked on the street... I know it sounds stupid but my German spec BMW Head lights did the same thing... I also know that the oversease bikes have another switch on the bike to activate the parking light.... And the 5w never kills the battery ....

·
Registered
60 Posts
what i know is that a position lamp is a light that will come on when you turn the key on. it that light will come on and the two tail lights will come on it is almost like a parking light like the kawasaki vulcan i use have

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
In Europe they require these "position" lights. It comes on when you turn off the headlight (something you can't do here). It's their version of daytime running lights and as said above, it's also used as a parking light. My BMW K12 had a "parking light" position on the key switch that was one detent past the fork lock postion that enables this light.

·
4,638 Posts
mjw930..
You hit the nail on the head.....RIDE ON BROTHER .... :notworthy

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Frank,

You need to wire it up and use it when you show the bike ;)

·
4,638 Posts
mjw930..
What mods (Switch) will FRANK need to do this ....

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It looks like we found what plugs into the 2 prong plug under the left side cover, next to the RT / Scanalizer connector :) According to the wiring diagrams that's where it plus in. It's activated by turning the key past IGN to the ACC setting (the key can then be removed). The instrument cluster, brake light circuit and the "position" light are all energized and you can set the alarm too! The brake lights only come on if you press (pull) the brake pedal (lever).

COOL :)

·
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mjw930 said:
It looks like we found what plugs into the 2 prong plug under the left side cover, next to the RT / Scanalizer connector :) According to the wiring diagrams that's where it plus in. It's activated by turning the key past IGN to the ACC setting (the key can then be removed). The instrument cluster, brake light circuit and the "position" light are all energized and you can set the alarm too! The brake lights only come on if you press (pull) the brake pedal (lever).

COOL :)
And they say you can not teach an old dog new tricks.;) Anyone want to buy a headlight that is different than the norm:diablo: . Start making me some offers. Lets start the bidding at $1000:rofl3:

·
4,638 Posts
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

·
4,638 Posts
DrHeathenScum....
I'll up that to 2050.00.....:diablo:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts