Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else find it hard to see at night with the stock headlight? also high beams seem to brighten off to the left and right of the road and take away the light in front of you. Is this a malfunction with my light?

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah stock headlight sucks, low beams really bad high beams brighter but so far out there, i did an HID conversion, pain in the a$$ but way worth it

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
No problem here, though I once had the aiming of it wrong, it was shooting to high & blinding the riders ahead of me, your's might be aiming too low????

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My AW has the best headlight out of every bike I have ever owned... Only thing I plan on doing is tieing the high and low beam together for high beam use just to fill the dark void when the high beams are on, like in this thread.

·
Registered
129 Posts
shaggy what kind of bikes have u owned prior ? i wonder if im just spoiled bc i came off crotch rockets, idk if u have ever seen the front end of an R1 but thats a heck of a headlight

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
shaggy what kind of bikes have u owned prior ? i wonder if im just spoiled bc i came off crotch rockets, idk if u have ever seen the front end of an R1 but thats a heck of a headlight
I have owned just about all types... the crotch rockets I have owned I would have to say are comparable to the AW headlight but anything I have owned that was a "naked" bike has sucked big time... the old incandescent headlights from many moons ago might as well not even been there for other then letting other people see you.....

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its gotta be the angle your headlights at cause everyone complains about mine being to bright. When I ride at night cars flash there lights at me all the time cause its so bright. Of course it could be my angle also its just pointed to high. But I bought my bike with three other friends that bought different Harley's and mine is by far brighter then any of there's, mines a 09. The high beam does do exactly what you say though.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
Just yesterday I bought an H9 bulb (high-beam lamp) and with minor modification installed it in the low beam socket. You can search the web, seems this is done quite a bit as a quick upgrade - gives a nice white light with about 2100 lumens vs. 1300. I did this because I thought the same - that the low beam light at night was not good enough.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Just yesterday I bought an H9 bulb (high-beam lamp) and with minor modification installed it in the low beam socket. You can search the web, seems this is done quite a bit as a quick upgrade - gives a nice white light with about 2100 lumens vs. 1300. I did this because I thought the same - that the low beam light at night was not good enough.
Any side effects to doing this? Overheating or anything? Good idea though.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
Any side effects to doing this? Overheating or anything? Good idea though.
Well, someone asked this on another list. Not bike but car and some guy has all the mathematical specs as to why this was fine. So far on my bike no problems. But I do like the nice white light.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Well, someone asked this on another list. Not bike but car and some guy has all the mathematical specs as to why this was fine. So far on my bike no problems. But I do like the nice white light.
if you do the low/high beam mod as well, that's 10.8 amps of constant draw and would imagine with initial start up you're jumping that to 14amps or more.
My concern would be the long term heat damage to the wiring with that 10.8amp draw. Keep a close eye on your wiring as motorcycle wiring tends to be of less beefy than automobile wiring. The VROD wiring is hearty for a motorcycle, but 10.8 constant draw may be a touch much:2cents:
Of course that's only 5.4 amps of constant draw if you are only using one beam OR the other and not both simultaneously.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
I am not 100% sure but I think the bulbs have alignment tabs on them. Could the tabs be rotated the wrong way? I know that in the DX light the tabs only fit one way but could be turned if you are not careful. Maybe the bulb is turned in the socket wrong or just made wrong. I bought a new ultra bright/white bulb for mine, cheaper ($28) and easier than HID, but not as bright.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
AOW, interesting thoughts. It could kill the battery pretty quick too, if you let your ignition on by accident. Not that I have ever left mine on and killed my battery....:banghead:

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
if you do the low/high beam mod as well, that's 10.8 amps of constant draw and would imagine with initial start up you're jumping that to 14amps or more.
My concern would be the long term heat damage to the wiring with that 10.8amp draw. Keep a close eye on your wiring as motorcycle wiring tends to be of less beefy than automobile wiring. The VROD wiring is hearty for a motorcycle, but 10.8 constant draw may be a touch much:2cents:
Of course that's only 5.4 amps of constant draw if you are only using one beam OR the other and not both simultaneously.
For me, I'm only using one beam at a time.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
AOW, interesting thoughts. It could kill the battery pretty quick too, if you let your ignition on by accident. Not that I have ever left mine on and killed my battery....:banghead:
I have never left the ignition on and killed the battery while at a cook out either:banghead:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the final outcome was the headlight was not adjusted correctly when I bought it. It was angled to high after the proper adjustment it is good now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts