Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime i flip from hi to low or low to hi my headlight fuse blows anybody have any idea why ?

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
I'm guessing but sounds like a short in the switch or the harness to the light. Unplug the light under the left side cover and try to toggle the switch. Depending on the outcome you know which end to trouble shoot further.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do u mean toggle the switch ? should i put a test light in the end of the plug on the bike side when i toggle it? its not every time i use it it happen twice in a row last week and then didnt happen again till this am

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
what do u mean toggle the switch ? should i put a test light in the end of the plug on the bike side when i toggle it? its not every time i use it it happen twice in a row last week and then didnt happen again till this am
I’d test the switch with an ohm meter:

1. Remove the LIGHTS fuse and unplug the headlamp bulb (I noticed you have a VRSCDX, the VRSCA/AW/X have separate HI/LO lamps that should both be unplugged).
  2. Place one of the ohm meter probes on the blue wire side of the LIGHTS fuse socket and connect the other meter probe to ground.
  3. If the meter shows any drop in resistance as you activate the HI/LO light switch then your switch is defective.

The head light needs to be unplugged because the tungsten filaments of the headlight are very low resistance when cold and the meter would show a short regardless of position if the headlamp(s) was(were) plugged in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did what u Said and the ohms did not change. I blew another fuse on my way home from
Work tonight. I'm wondering if te bright light bulb I have in the bike is drawing to much power I'll have to switch back to the factory bulb I guess and see what happens

1 - 5 of 5 Posts