Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed custom headlight usung Headwinds relocation bracket kit. Headlight mounted with minimal problems, but having a problem w/ the highbeam indicater light (blue lite in instrument cluster) , It stays on in both high and low beam . Has anyone switched to a single bulb headlght ? and if so, had a simular problem ?

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
you sure you got the wiring right?

there could be something feeding back into the cluster, but I doubt it

you should have the wires as follows:

- Yellow to Low Beam
- White to High Beam
- Black to ground (-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Yes I have the wiring corect. It seems to be some sort of low voltageshort or current bleeding between the low and hi beam circuit, because the light seems to function properly with the exception of the indicater lite is on both modes, but does get brighter when switched to the hibeam. The local HD dealer thinks it has something to do with going from a 2 bulb system to a 1 bulb, but had no real explaination as to the why! But , I hooked the stock lite back up to test the wiring from the headlight back, and it works just like it's supposed to. Flash

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
seems rather odd...

did you hook one or both of the black wires (ground) from the old headlight bulbs and did you hook them right to the new headlight's bulb contact or wire, as opposed to using the headlight housing for the ground?

I can't say I have run into this, perhaps someone here has done this already and could be of more help.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The high beam indicator comes directly from the high beam wire and is pin #2 (white wire) on the back of the cluster. If it lights on low beam you either have the ground incorrect or a bad bulb is my guess. Since it changes intensity it would appear more like a ground problem. If thats the case I suggest getting it corrected since that would mean that low beam is grounding through the cluster. IHMO

Max

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new headlight came assembled, including a three wire pigtail, which is what I wired up to. Originally I siamesed the two black ground wires from the bike and connected it to the single ground erom the headlight, but after discovering the problem, cut one and then the other, but it had no effect. It seems to be headlght related, but I took it apart and all looks well. It's got me stumped! I even tried to take it back and exchange it for another, but the dealer didn't have any left. Max, you suggested a bad bulb. Have you run into a bulb that works, but somehow bleeds voltage across the two circuits? I appriciate you guys trying to help me with this!! flash

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
It is rare to see a bulb problem but I have seen it in the years when terminals made contact inside the bulb.

Here is how I would proceed.

Make sure the switch is set for low beam and disconnect the high beam power source at the light. Now check the wire at the light, it should have zero volts on it and the high beam indicator should be off. When you check the two wires that are still connected to the light one should show 12 volts and the other should show 0 volts the same as the high beam lead coming from the light.

Do that and let me know what you find.

Max

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
as a possible half-assed fix, you could try putting a 750 ohm or 1k resistor across the high-beam indicator wire and ground... it may work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to the suggestion from Chopper Steve @ V-Mod .com, I fixed the problem and headlght looks and operates great. The local HD dealer had done the assembly of the headlight prior to sale, and had put the ground wire on the wrong pin of the H-4 bulb. I assumed the " Factory Trained Tech. " knew what he was doing, but you know what they say about assuming! Thanks to all who tried to help, much appreciated. Flash

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
SEE, I WAS RIGHT!!!

you sure you got the wiring right?

there could be something feeding back into the cluster, but I doubt it

you should have the wires as follows:

- Yellow to Low Beam
- White to High Beam
- Black to ground (-)

:D :D :D

glad to hear you got it fixed!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll work on getting a picture out , but I have to wait until the snow melts enough to get bike out of garage for pictures. Flash

1 - 13 of 13 Posts