Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of a halogen bulb not lasting as long if u get the oil from your finger on it. Well a couple weeks ago me and some friends were riding in town and the one friend looks back n says your headlight is out. So I switched from my high beam light to my low beam on the 03 A model. The low beam worked fine. so I rode to the nearest dealer, we were already real close, got the high beam halogen bulb and replaced it.

This past weekend went riding with my buddies again. High beam has been working since replaced it. I was riding home in the dark and had to switch from the high to the low when cars were coming. Well, the one time i went to switch it back to the high and it was out again, just thought damnit something isn't right. I got about a 1/2 mile down the road, and all at once I heard this loud bang and glass shattered all over me and the road. The high beam bulb blew and it blew the hole glass front out of the headlight too..:angeldev:

Has this ever happened to anyone else, and is there any suggestions on what happened?? When i put the new bulb in i did make sure not to touch the bulb at all so i dont think any oil was on it. Also, when i looked at it afterwards, it seemed like it may have been a lil loose in the socket, may not have got totally tight, could this cause it??

Any help at all would be much appreciated.. BUB:D

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know with battery terminals being loose they can blow the lead posts out of car batteries. from the sparking/arcing caused by the loose connection so that would be my guess is it was the loose connection that caused it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think I am on headlight number 4. I have witnessed it shattering twice. Once was getting ready to leave my buddies shop, at dusk, we heard it shatter. When I walked up to the bike, glass all over. The next was in BG Ky @ the AMRA. backed out of the EZ up in the morning, CRASH! there was about 4 other witnesses that time. The dealer gave me new one's under warranty.... so far.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Have the dealership check your voltage regulators. This doesn't sound real safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
all of times the headlight shattered, the bike was not even running. I cannot see the bulbs getting too hot to temper the glass and make it sesitive to temperature differentials. Ya figure the plastic housing would have signs of melting or sump'm.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
RJ's right... check the voltage regulator.
Also I recommend NOT TOUCHING the bulb with bare hands. Use a tissue or rubber gloves. Anything on the surface of the bulb will cause it to build up heat and blow. The heat generated by the filament is reflected back into the bulb. This causes what little air is in the bulb to expand, ultimately exploding the bulb. There is a big difference in bulb quality as the less expensive ones actually have more air in them... better ones draw a stronger vacuum during manufacturing which helps prevent this.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
LiquidSilver said:
RJ's right... check the voltage regulator.
Also I recommend NOT TOUCHING the bulb with bare hands. Use a tissue or rubber gloves. Anything on the surface of the bulb will cause it to build up heat and blow. The heat generated by the filament is reflected back into the bulb. This causes what little air is in the bulb to expand, ultimately exploding the bulb. There is a big difference in bulb quality as the less expensive ones actually have more air in them... better ones draw a stronger vacuum during manufacturing which helps prevent this.
:them:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe I should state that I have my stock high/low beam bulbs. What is shattering is the glass headlight cover... not the bulbs. My headlight deflector is always rattling around the housing, and even the new headlight housing's I got from the dealer came loose within a few weeks of replacing. Could this be causing small cracks or chips on the inside of the headlight glass cover, which may cause a failure in temperature changes? Ever heard of someone's cracked windsield shatter (or get worse) on a cold day with the defroster on?

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that.

Yes... you could have a weakened lense and they can be cracked by flying road debris. I'd recommend using a couple dabs of JBweld in the housing to secure it. JB weld doesn't outgas much (as opposed to super glue) and should not have an adverse effect on the lense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright guys..Lots of help and I thank you..The only response I got from people around here was that I had to of touched it and when the high beam bulb exploded, beings it was in the sealed headlight, it must of caused so much pressure that it blew out the glass. I'm going to have the dealer check the voltage regulator like some of you metioned. Might be a good place to start. I installed the new glass housing and high beam bulb last night, and when i put the bulbs in I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol first, thanks vrodG. hornet, yours sounds like a lil different problem then mine, bc my bike was running and this happened right after the high beam went out cruising, but yours is also very weird. Jan, I do live in the boon-docks, many ********, just glad they didnt hit me..lol:)

I was gonna get a bullet headlight to replace it, but at the cost figured it would be cheaper if I blew up the stock one again in case the problem keeps occuring. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts