Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m heading to the drag strip in a few hours. This will be my first time ever…I hope that things go well for me. The only concern I have is getting the bike to launch from the start. I know on the street that I can launch it hard and the only thing that the bike does is spin the rear wheel. I know that the traction on a track will be much greater than what is the street. I just plan on taking it easy from the start until I can get a feel for how the track and bike will react. If anyone can give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it. I do have years of motor-x and enduro racing under my belt but that is dirt, this is asphalt. I guess what I’m getting at is I know how to get a good start on dirt but putting that experience on a prepared track, well that will take some getting use too. When I get home I will post my time slips. Thanks…jr

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had spinning problems too until I lowered the rear tire pressure to 18 lbs. The track will have air so you can air back up before you leave if you're riding home. Leave around 7K and you should be fine.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How prone or likely is the V-Rod to pulling a wheelie at the track. I expect a small wheelie when launched hard but I am concerned that if I launch it hard I might pull a big-um. Can someone that has been on the track give me some idea what to expect?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If you hook real well it will come up.It's not usual for a stock V-Rod to come up but I've done it and I've seen it on others,it bangs coming down if you let off quick.

IMO you should try the bike in the same form you do on the street.Then play w the tire pressure and raise the launch rpm's as you get more familiar with the light.I launched my X @ around 3k rpms,no burnout,w 40 lbs in a 260 tire and the results impressed me,I wanted to see what the bike was capable of in the same form I would race from a light on the street.
On my 03 I found 24lbs in a 200 metz,warm,and 5k launches was good.The 03 bogged a little because of the 30th sprocket but I have had some 11.80 1/4 et's like this,still without a burnout.I don't hit 5th on either bike.If I time myself just right through 3rd the rev limiter hit,in 4th,on the X,right at the end of the1/4 mark.

You want to see 1.78 or lower 60ft time,around 7.2 to 7.4 in the 8th and you should yank an 11.60 or better in the 1/4.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Thanks for asking this, I'm anxiously waiting to hear about this myself. I learned an expensive lesson at the track once with a Mustang I had about how sticky drag strip starting lines really are. I did a 6K side step of the clutch with slicks with 6 psi of air in them, it popped a wheely and broke an axle. When I stepped out of the car my shoes were sticking to rubber on the track as I was pushing my car back to the pits. :banghead: I'm with you, I don't want to pull 4 feet of air, the mess I make in my pants might make me slide off the back of the thing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I’m off to the races. I did get a tire pressure gauge so I can lower the pressure at the track. I was thinking that anything in the 12’s would be good for me based on what I have read here. If I pull any 11’s as Elrod suggest I will be tickled…..oh during the week I have run the gas down until the light has come on and I am going by the gas station and only putting in 2 gallons of gas. This is for weight savings. I will be home soon and thanks for the input…jr

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I posted my results under” Back from the track"( see link below), sorry for the confusion. I did ok; I wish my 60 ft times were better. I could not get a good launch for some reason. I would leave the line with high rpm, one time I was bumping the rev limiter, only to have the bike lose rpm quickly, I was not able to maintain the rpm and the bike would bog. I feel that I may have been letting out on the clutch to fast causing the bike to bog. I need to ride the clutch more to maintain RPM, I was wearing new "full leather gloves" as required by NHRA. I am use to half-finger gloves and/or no gloves. The full leather gloves may have hurt my ability to “feel” the clutch release. I did however manage to get the bike to spin the tire from the line once. I did not pull a wheelie at all. All in all I had fun and me and the bike came home in one piece. I am looking forward to the next “test and tune”. I would like to see my 60ft time come down and my ET come down as well as my speed increase. I did not concern my-self with my R/T too much, although I know that it is an important factor in racing. I was not racing anyone but myself and was concentrating on getting a good start and finish….jr

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79722

1 - 10 of 10 Posts