Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am planning on doing the stage II cam set up, bigger TB, injecters Ect... The guy at the harley shop told me I should port the heads for more air flow. The thing is they want 1,300 bucks just for this. (the head work)Or do you guys think I would be fine w/o it? Oh yeah the bike is a 04 1130cc.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Hit me up with a PM we are pumping heads out as we speak. :)

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Rumor has it Fitzgerald gives good head(s). :rofl:

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
you will be just fine with only the stage II cams, you DO NOT NEED INJECTORS OR 58MM THROTTLEBODIES or do you need a port n polish with these cams. If you plan on going BigBore, thats another question.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
you will be just fine with only the stage II cams, you DO NOT NEED INJECTORS OR 58MM THROTTLEBODIES or do you need a port n polish with these cams. If you plan on going BigBore, thats another question.
:them:

You really need to do your homework.

Overkill...overkill...overkill...

Your money!!!!

If I was to do the heads...Scott is your man!!

·
Banned
8,925 Posts

You really need to do your homework.

Overkill...overkill...overkill...

Your money!!!!

If I was to do the heads...Scott is your man!!
OK, in the case you actually want to do all the improvements you want on the engine once it's down and open, does the head/valve, etc. porting REALLY makes a difference? As I understand, it might bring 10-15 more HP's over the "Stage II cams/58 TBs" upgrade (no porting), which can be done without tearing down the motor (off the bike), is that correct? :hidesbeh:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
porting by a good shop will add hp but on an 1130cc motor the gain will only be at really high rpm`s,i don`t think you will get good bang for your buck with 1300$ heads..

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts

Agree with RSC & LBrown...

Open thy wallet - pull the motor and bring it to Scott (Fitzgerald) for a big bore (or at least 1250) head work, cams & TB.

Depending on your mileage (with an 04) it may be a good time to do this ANYWAY and freshen up the entire motor.

On an 1130, you'll see gains from all the above (heads, cam & TB) but not NEARLY the gains you'll see from a 1250 or larger.

At my level of mod (see sig), I'm STILL not flowing enough to be max'ing out my injector duty cycle with stock injectors (have a set of destroyer injectors I DIDN'T NEED EITHER, sitting in my toolbox), and on a non-forced-induction 1130, you're just not going to need them and they WILL make the bike more difficult to TUNE. And for me, the $$ required for an SC setup are the same as the SC I did on my corvette - went from 496HP to 635HP - can't see spending $4K or higher to only get another 30-50HP.

Speaking of TUNE - you're obviously going to need to get the bike TUNED ALSO. Factor in the cost of an SEPST VCI module and DYNO TIME) as even with aftermarket tuners, you are STILL going to need some dyno time to get the bike spot-on. Regardless of how some folks pimp (supposed) autotune systems, nothing beats a REAL DYNO TUNE with a skilled tuner at the helm.

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts