Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Head Trip or Composite Crafts (formely ACC) Helmets is the $hit! Sent back a 3 year old helmet to have it relined, and purchase a new one also. Got them both back within a week, and the new liner looks to be nicer then the original...and gave me a discount on the second helmet. Its so nice to deal with a company like that!

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Right how are these people still in business. I tried returning my girlfriends supposedly DOT helmet, which in fact it was not. They were ordered to refund everyone who purchased the helmet thier money.... Oh we are sorry we cannot refund you your money. If I knew it did not meet DOT I would have ordered her the non DOT.

See this thread. http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136072&highlight=advance+carbon&page=3

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the same issue Gdub, and I tried to email the "new" company but they said they have nothing to do with ACC helmets and there is nothing they can do for me. Pretty bad display of customer support in my mind.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
My big issue is I have their non DOT helmet and love it, it sits low and is comfortable. I purchsed the Not so DOT helmet for my girl, for the safety, and now I am stuck with it, it sits higher and does not hug your head as well, and I paid more for it.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
I have the same issue Gdub, and I tried to email the "new" company but they said they have nothing to do with ACC helmets and there is nothing they can do for me. Pretty bad display of customer support in my mind.
That sounds like a crock o'crap to me. When I bought my ACC helmet, it came with a HEAD TRIP sticker right on it. If you look at the NEW head trip website, you'll see that every picture on it is from the old ACC website.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I love my ACC helmet but I will not have anything else to do with these shiesty bastards. If I need a new one I'll just have to figure something else out.

Head Trip, ACC, whatever are a bunch of scumbags obviously.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man I wasnt expecting that from everyone...I knew they had problems with the Govt over their so-called DOT helmet. I wanted the non-DOT and thats why I went for them. They relined my old helmet the day I got it to them, and gave me a discount on the second one. Sorry some people had shi! luck with them...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Love both of my ACC lids. I have a DOT and a non. I couldn't care less about the DOT designation. I don't wear a half helmet to save my life/head, I wear it to comply with the helmet law ! If I were worried about my head in a crash, I'd wear a full face.
Just sayin' !

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I agree. They make great helmets too. But they lied about their DOT helmets passing DOT tests and sold them to people who wanted actual DOT helmets. Then they got caught by the government and were ordered to refund the money on them. Instead they filed bankruptcy or sold the company on paper to a relative or something and started a new company selling the exact same stuff, using the exact same pictures under a different name.

So they're shiesty and I wouldn't trust them in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I agree. They make great helmets too. But they lied about their DOT helmets passing DOT tests and sold them to people who wanted actual DOT helmets. Then they got caught by the government and were ordered to refund the money on them. Instead they filed bankruptcy or sold the company on paper to a relative or something and started a new company selling the exact same stuff, using the exact same pictures under a different name.

So they're shiesty and I wouldn't trust them in the future.
Did anyone ever think that maybe they did pass the dot testing in the beginning and over time maybe something in there processing changed , maybe resin or carbon weave ect .

im not saying that they shouldnt stand up behind the recall or any other wrongdoings but to say they lied to us might be a little strong .

I did some reading on this when i first found out about this as i have one of the "DOT" helmets , and found out there are lots of companies that apply for DOT status and then loose it later when they actually test one .

Im just sayin

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
@ ger:
Nope, looks like you're the only one.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I love my ACC helmet but I will not have anything else to do with these shiesty bastards. If I need a new one I'll just have to figure something else out.

Head Trip, ACC, whatever are a bunch of scumbags obviously.
Could not agree more.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
If they had, from the start, advertised their helmets with the disclaimer. "DO NOT BUY THIS, you will die" like every other novelty maker in the world does then I'd have nothing but praise for them and their high quality helmets. But they got greedy and tried to fool people and then ducked and cut out when they got caught.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Where did you get the info "they lied about their helmets passing DOT"? I saw they failed 1 of 2 penetration test (passed the other) and one size seemed to pass all together while 3 others did not (if I read that correclty). Yes, they failed-but that does not = lying?

I got an offer for a full refund. I did not want it, (non-dot anyway). They also offered that on their website, before they shut down. If they did not honor a refund, then yes agree on scum. If they had to start fresh then I can understand how they cannot be affiliated with the former company once the lawyers got involved.

I received a subsequent email from a lawyer on some action...and I have always loved those suits where you get 2¢ and the lawyers get $3 million in their "fees" reimbursed. Regardless, I cannot find any info on actually anyone injured due to a faulty helmet..just the contrary. A lot of people dismayed they were not available anymore. Now "another" company is making them and "seem" to be taking care of their customers based on all the FB posts. I guess we shall see.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Where did you get the info "they lied about their helmets passing DOT"? I saw they failed 1 of 2 penetration test (passed the other) and one size seemed to pass all together while 3 others did not (if I read that correclty). Yes, they failed-but that does not = lying?

I got an offer for a full refund. I did not want it, (non-dot anyway). They also offered that on their website, before they shut down. If they did not honor a refund, then yes agree on scum. If they had to start fresh then I can understand how they cannot be affiliated with the former company once the lawyers got involved.

I received a subsequent email from a lawyer on some action...and I have always loved those suits where you get 2¢ and the lawyers get $3 million in their "fees" reimbursed. Regardless, I cannot find any info on actually anyone injured due to a faulty helmet..just the contrary. A lot of people dismayed they were not available anymore. Now "another" company is making them and "seem" to be taking care of their customers based on all the FB posts. I guess we shall see.
Well .. it appears that facts, or lack thereof, have in no way affected anybody's rush to judgement *lol*

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts

What do you not understand? They advertised thier helmets as DOT, they did not pass the DOT requirements. They were court ordered to refund the DOT helmet purchase price (which it seems strange you got the offer since you purchased the non DOT helmet) then they go belly up and open under a different name, without refunding the money.

·
Registered
769 Posts
What do you not understand? They advertised thier helmets as DOT, they did not pass the DOT requirements. They were court ordered to refund the DOT helmet purchase price (which it seems strange you got the offer since you purchased the non DOT helmet) then they go belly up and open under a different name, without refunding the money.
???
I did not say "I did not understand" anything. What are you referencing?

I said "I CAN understand how they can't be affiliated with the former company once the lawyers got involved."

it looks like they are actually helping out former customers with re-lining and discounts if you read the post that started this thread and the praise on their FB page (people who are happy you can still get an american-made kevlar/carbon helmet for under $200). Apparently the new company is not refunding on DOT helmets from the former company...which I agree sucks, but is probably why they went belly up.

I just did search...seems a lot more info on other forums about this. Some got refunds and replaced, others did not before they shut down. They did (and seem to still) be offering relining with the new liner that was a fix for DOT approval with the former company..even if the former company is long gone.

voiceofthruth on nytimes.com
Why would you assume that the NHTSA shares no responsibility? Anyone who's had to deal with the unflinching bureaucratic mentality can smell a rat with this story. At face value, this may seem cut and dried, but that's because there are a few facts missing, namely that the ACC helmets DID pass DOT standards with the company that did the testing, it was the NHTSA that decided to no longer accept the testing certification of the company testing DOT standards, so they forced a recall (that's why the helmets were able to hit the market, they WERE DOT approved) When the NHTSA forced ACC to use a new certifying authority to get DOT certification, the helmets scored virtually the same as they did with the previous company, and although it was in the acceptable range to meet DOT standards, this new company used a stricter acceptable range, and failed the helmet. Here's another example: let's say the acceptable range was between 1 and 10, and let's say ACC scored a 4 with the first company, they get their DOT certification, then the NHTSA comes along and tells ACC (after they've sold a ton of helmets) that they are no longer accepting that companies certifying authority, so ACC goes to a new company, and again they score a 4, but this company only certifies scores between 5 and 10, so even though they are within the acceptable range…they fail. I don't work for ACC, but I happen to know the truth, and the bottom line is that the NHTSA knew they scored within acceptable range, but wouldn't even allow ACC to find another testing authority that would accept any score within that range...

And this one from kawasakinmotorcycle.org

I first called Head Trip/ACC about the recall and told them that I purchased the helmet from one of their resellers. They told me to contact the reseller for a refund. So, I called the reseller, Biker Helmets Inc (really nice folks), and they said they would issue a refund to me. I had a chance to get some of the back-story about the recall from them, and it sounds like this could end up in a nasty court battle at some point. From what I was told, ACC helmets were tested and received their DOT certification from a company called Southern Impact Research Center, a DOT certified laboratory. When the ACC helmets were tested by Southern Impact, they passed with flying colors and received the proper DOT certification, so Head Trip/ACC did not try and mislead customers into believing they were receiving a DOT certified helmet. It was, at least until recent events. Anyway, apparently DOT likes to purchase helmets anonymously, and test them as well. Turns out that the ACC helmets did not pass the DOT's own testing.

So what we have is a disagreement on the results of the testing, and Head Trip/ACC is complying with the law and effecting a recall. However, I don't see this matter going away anytime soon. Head Trip/ACC will undoubtedly get killed monetarily, and they will likely sue Southern Impact to recoup money they will lose related to this recall. Southern Impact will likely loose their certification with the DOT and probably already have "the government" reexamining their testing methods. I am sure that Southern Impact will probably be fighting themselves to defend their testing methods. This could get very interesting before it is all over and we'll likely be hearing more about this in the future. So stay tuned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts