Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions I was hoping to get answered
1 In the manual it says something may bind up preventing the proper adjustment. What part are they talking about?
2 If you have a wind shield hooked up to the fork tubes on the bottom and the handlebars up top, Do you have to disconnect and readjust the windshield mounts? I am going over the allowed torque and my fall away is still not tight enough. Thanks.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
If you don't loosen the pinch bolts for the fork tubes you'll not get the torque proper for the fall away. Same thing if you have hung hardware that won't allow the triple trees to move when the nut is torqued up at the top of the steering post.

With the hardware from the handle bars to the tubes, if the fasteners are not loose to allow the tubes to slide, you'll probablly bend the frame for the windshield due to the amount of toruque. It won't be much buit every time you take up the torque you'll get a slight bend.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
If you still have the windshield attached to the lower tripple trees and handlebars...I am going to bet that you are doing it wrong.

You cannot adjust fallaway without removing the top tripple tree. You cannot do that with your windshield attached.

Don't go cranking on the top nut - that will do NOTHING...

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
You cannot adjust fallaway without removing the top tripple tree. You cannot do that with your windshield attached.

That statement is not correct....Loosen the top two pinch bolts....Loosen the large nut on top of the top tree and using a flat headed punch or flat bladed screwdriver, tap the adjusting ring (under the top tree) until you get the tension/fall away you want.

I found that the screwdriver method gouged out the ridges on the adjusting nut, using the punch did not harm them. Maybe I was using to large of a screwdriver!!!

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
mustanggt said:

That statement is not correct....Loosen the top two pinch bolts....Loosen the large nut on top of the top tree and using a flat headed punch or flat bladed screwdriver, tap the adjusting ring (under the top tree) until you get the tension/fall away you want.

I found that the screwdriver method gouged out the ridges on the adjusting nut, using the punch did not harm them. Maybe I was using to large of a screwdriver!!!

Ok...I woud have to agree with you.

The point I was trying to make is that this guy is most likely cranking on the top nut which will do nothing. He needs to expose the 2nd nut underneath...it is just easier to see how the set up works with the top tree off....but once you undersatnd it, then by all means, you can make the adjustment.

But you cannot do this with the 4 pinch bolts tight...and you still have to loosen up the windshield somewhere....

·
EXCELSIOR
8,502 Posts
It is also easier and more reliable if you use a lift to get the load off the front end.
It is amazing how you can grab the bottom of the frok legs and check for noticeable shake by moving them front to back.
It is also amazing how much flex you notice at the top while doing this. Damned flimsy triple trees and aluminum stem. Just an observation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts