Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I have a 2009 HD VRSCF with 8500 miles. It was VERY seldom ridden until I purchased it in 2017 and essentially doubled the existing miles. I am noticing what I believe is oil thinly spead on my engine (blown from the wind, which seems to be emanating from the front head cover bolt). It then just drips on the exhaust cover. No other leaks on this bike.
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

For those more familiar with this engine then I am, could this be something other than a head gasket leak?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hello-

I have a 2009 HD VRSCF with 8500 miles. It was VERY seldom ridden until I purchased it in 2017 and essentially doubled the existing miles. I am noticing what I believe is oil thinly spead on my engine (blown from the wind, which seems to be emanating from the front head cover bolt). It then just drips on the exhaust cover. No other leaks on this bike. View attachment 603940 View attachment 603940

For those more familiar with this engine then I am, could this be something other than a head gasket leak?

In the end, you will find it most likey being from the breather hoses that go into the bottom of the air box. They deteriorate over time and allow oil to escape. Wind pushes it all over from there. Several threads on this in the search function. Good part, cheap to replace. Extremely rare for any of these type of gasket to leak and quite often reusable. Where you are pointing is the rocker cover.
Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello-

I have a 2009 HD VRSCF with 8500 miles. It was VERY seldom ridden until I purchased it in 2017 and essentially doubled the existing miles. I am noticing what I believe is oil thinly spead on my engine (blown from the wind, which seems to be emanating from the front head cover bolt). It then just drips on the exhaust cover. No other leaks on this bike. View attachment 603940 View attachment 603940

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had oil appearing on the gasket seals and seemed to be dripping down the motor a bit. I had it in the HD dealership for a service interval and they claimed my head gaskets were leaking, and that the motor would need to be pulled and gaskets replaced. The bike had 14,000 km (8700 mi) on it and the quote was $2200 CAD (~$1650 USD). Came here and everyone said breather hoses and, 'VROD head gaskets leaking aren't a thing'. Brought it back and asked for their 'V-Rod guy' to take a look. Sure enough it was the hoses and that was about $200 all in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts