Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 VROD with 8,000 miles. Just bought the bike and it has developed some leaking from the head gaskets on both cylinders. A friend suggested I use 20W50 HD oil as it is thicker and may stop the leaking. I performed the oil change and it is still weeping from two areas on the left and two areas on the right.
Does anyone have any other suggestions about why it is doing this now? Is there an engine oil additive that can stop the leaks but is safe for this engine and won't mess with the wet clutch? I'm at a loss and not real keen about spending hundreds of $$$ on a head gasket job.

Thanks Matt

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I have a 2004 VROD with 8,000 miles. Just bought the bike and it has developed some leaking from the head gaskets on both cylinders. A friend suggested I use 20W50 HD oil as it is thicker and may stop the leaking. I performed the oil change and it is still weeping from two areas on the left and two areas on the right.
Does anyone have any other suggestions about why it is doing this now? Is there an engine oil additive that can stop the leaks but is safe for this engine and won't mess with the wet clutch? I'm at a loss and not real keen about spending hundreds of $$$ on a head gasket job.

Thanks Matt
Can you see exactly where it is weeping from? Have you checked the breather tubes? If it is a head gasket, you will need to replace it sooner or later. You can and will make it worse. Good luck to you.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
:them: Could be the breather hoses from the airbox...

If it's dark oil only and it leaks from inbetween the rocker covers and 'cooling' fins it could be the rubber reusable rockercovergasket. Damaged from a repair or valve lash check(bit early) or torcked down in wrong order or wrong torck value.. check the manual for valve lash job and pick the gasket part out or only loosen all 11 bolts per head and retorck theme proper...be prepared, read first and decide than.... It's a pita job but 'it can be done'.
Here is a simple 'field engineering' way to torck the tucked away bolts http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135179

Putting 'stuff' in this low milage engine to stop leaks IMHO is not the way to repair a high power bike and keeping it long lasting.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
It's very unusual for the head gaskets to leak on the Revo engine,especially both of them at the same time.
There are no rocker covers on the Revo,they are called cam covers,and they have been known to leak after an R&R.
Typically what leaks is the breather hoses.
Using thicker oil never did,and never will fix a leak.The Revo should have 20-50 in it anyway.I prefer Amsoil 20-50 motorcycle oil.

This is where the head meets the engine case.Look in this area if the head gaskets are leaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your picture of the head and engine case is exactly where mine is leaking. It appears to be leaking from the head gasket. Is this normal for the Revo engine to leak with only 8,000 miles? I'm very discouraged and then just have to remind myself it's a harley, and harleys leak. But a German designed engine? Help!!!

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Your picture of the head and engine case is exactly where mine is leaking. It appears to be leaking from the head gasket. Is this normal for the Revo engine to leak with only 8,000 miles? I'm very discouraged and then just have to remind myself it's a harley, and harleys leak. But a German designed engine? Help!!!
post some pictures

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
attached a drawing showing the oil circulation
leakage through the cylinder head gasket can only happen in way of the high pressure oil passage (blue line)

If this indeed the case then the head is either cracked (not likely as both heads seem to be affected) or deformed (lack of coolant, overheating) or head bolts are not propperly tightened.
But I doubt all that, when my bike's head bolts were loose I never ever saw an oil leak. The heads were lifting and you could clearly hear exhaust gas passing by the head gasket, making a loud buzzing noise. The exhaust gas would enter the cooling water system, pushing the coolant into the expansion bottle which would overflow.
Next would be the engine temp lamp being lit.

Maybe it's just the sealing washer of the cam tensioner assembly.
Check the two hexagonal big screws on the rear left hand side of the cylinder heads, should be 27mm wrenchsize, 100 Nm torque, easy to access

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Head gasket issues

I know for sure that it's the head gasket. It seems to be getting worse real fast. Both head gaskets are leaking from multiple areas. Worse in a couple of areas. The question I have is why would it start leaking so quickly, when I bought it only 600 miles ago and I didn't see anything more than slightly damp on the black lower part of the engine? ****** My buddy says that if it was stored in a heated garage over the winter and not started a couple times that the gasket could dry out and then start leaking when started up in the spring. Anyone have any ideas or comments? Can I cause more damage by continuing to ride it with these leaks? Was hoping to ride until September and then have an independent Harley mechanic work on it over the winter or spring.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I know for sure that it's the head gasket. ...
You should post pictures showing the leaks.

I agree with others that suspect it’s your cam cover or breather tubes leaking not your head gasket.

If the head gasket is leaking you should not be running the engine.

·
all or nothing
1,373 Posts
The leak could also be coming from (loose) oil pressure light sender. Oil flows down between engine case and heads on right side of engine. It looks like a head gasket leak, except oil is clean colour. Also you can test by finger, if the engine case between cylinder heads, behind a thermostat housing, is oily.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
mpetrie,do yourself a favor and take the air box cover and the air box off of the motorcycle for inspection.I think you will be happy to find what I think you will see up there.I'm not trying to be close minded about this,but head gaskets just don't typically leak on these engines.
If you need some guidance on inspecting the top of your engine,just ask us and we will guide you through the inspection.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
mpetrie,do yourself a favor and take the air box cover and the air box off of the motorcycle for inspection.I think you will be happy to find what I think you will see up there.I'm not trying to be close minded about this,but head gaskets just don't typically leak on these engines.
If you need some guidance on inspecting the top of your engine,just ask us and we will guide you through the inspection.
:them:

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I know for sure that it's the head gasket. It seems to be getting worse real fast. Both head gaskets are leaking from multiple areas. Worse in a couple of areas. The question I have is why would it start leaking so quickly, when I bought it only 600 miles ago and I didn't see anything more than slightly damp on the black lower part of the engine? ****** My buddy says that if it was stored in a heated garage over the winter and not started a couple times that the gasket could dry out and then start leaking when started up in the spring. Anyone have any ideas or comments? Can I cause more damage by continuing to ride it with these leaks? Was hoping to ride until September and then have an independent Harley mechanic work on it over the winter or spring.
When you say you know for sure, does that mean you have eliminated everything that everyone here has suggested that you look for? If not, you may want to take us up on it. This forum is very helpful. You may only be out a 12 dollar part!

·
Registered
54 Posts
:QUOTE=Karzza;1989590]The leak could also be coming from (loose) oil pressure light sender. Oil flows down between engine case and heads on right side of engine. It looks like a head gasket leak, except oil is clean colour. Also you can test by finger, if the engine case between cylinder heads, behind a thermostat housing, is oily.[/QUOTE]
:them:Yup I had to fix mine...leaked along the head gaskets. Not real difficult to fix, just a thread sealer is all I used...

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
:them: Listen to Al. It would be HIGHLY unusual for both head gaskets to be leaking unless the motor was put through some pretty high stress situation. I am betting you will find the leak to be something else masquerading as a head gasket.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Even when a head gasket gives up the fight due to hardship....oil is the last thing that would leak. Oil in this area is just simply trickling it's way back to the pan. If anything on a head gasket goes it would be water into the cylinder or pressure into the water jacket....but not oil.

That black oil along that ridge is coming from somewhere else and being blown along the seam.

Clean it up real good and keep an eye on it. It will start in the front and work its way back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Leaks

I spoke to another vrod guy who advises that he had the same problem and thought it was a leaking head gasket, and it turned out to be too much oil which over flowed out of the breather valve? I checked my air box and there was approx a teaspoon of oil there. It started to leak more after I did an oil change. The oil was just over the full line on dipstick. I'm hearing that too much oil is not a good thing. The amount of oil leaking seems to be getting less, though it appears to pass along the head gasket and block.******** I'm not sure about where the oil temp sensor is located and why it would leak from this spot. Is it located between the two cylinder heads because that is where the oil appears to be coming from? You mentioned some thread tape as a fix to this leak. I hope that it is really such a simple fix.

Thanks for all your support

Matt::moped:******

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That black oil along that ridge is coming from somewhere else and being blown along the seam.
That is exactly what i found it tracks from the upper breather hose on the dipstick side, into the valley between cylinders and follows that seem and looks like a head gasket leak! really its a hose clamp up under the intake air box that was weeping!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts