Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,935 Posts
pull the engine...look at video .Link in my Sig.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My head gasket is also leaking.is it a big job and can the average person with the right tools get it done?it's not leaking that bad but it is leaking right from the head any suggestions to try to stop the weak before I have to pull engine thanks

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
My head gasket is also leaking.is it a big job and can the average person with the right tools get it done?it's not leaking that bad but it is leaking right from the head any suggestions to try to stop the weak before I have to pull engine thanks

What is it leaking? It is rare for a head gasket on a Revo to leak,no matter how many miles it has on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is leaking antifreeze from head according to mikes famous Harley in groton ct.I pulled it outta of there because they had it since October and didn't fix it long story short

·
Registered
76 Posts
I brought in the first time and mikes the Harley shop tightened hosses didn't fix it second time I brought it in the antifreeze overflow tank had a crack fix it.2 mon later it's leaking antifreeze again brought it back to them first they said it was the gooseneck leaking antifreeze then they called me back and said it was the head leaking so really I have no idea where the f it's leaking from.some suggestions besides the obvious would be great thanks

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
Tough to say with out looking at it, but another culprit is the Water-Pump gasket(s) have been known to ROT, causing weeping out the rear side or the pump.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Check the coolant lines above the engine where they are clamped to the frame. Been known to rub and leak. Also check the plastic heat shrink band clamps where the rubber hose clamps to the aluminum tubes. Lots to check before you would have to worry about the head gaskets.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How do I test to see where it is leaking from myself or do I have to go to dealership?I can't tell where it's weaking from by just looking at it because it's weaking from bottom top I have no idea

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Start by cleaning the engine top to bottom. Once clean top up fluids to their correct levels. Set the bike level and run the engine (outdoors) keep looking for the leak, sometimes evening is best because you have control of the lighting and can light the dark areas. As soon as you see something stop the engine and check what it is. Oil, antifreeze etc. You can't do this by riding because the wind blows the fluid around.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cleaning you mean the outside of the engine right.(hopefully not a stupid question from me)mechanically I have changed oil replaced battery put new exhaust on.so I have worked on my vrod but I'm by no means a mechanic but I'm learning

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
The basic Vrod engine is very tough. The weaks point for leaks are thing like the coolant tank, hoses, rear PCV hose, and yes clean the outside. Is this not where you see the mess from the leak?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok,I brought my vrod I last summer to Harley because I was weaking antifreeze the tightened all the hoses and replaced the overflow tank it did have a crack In it(I saw with my own eyes)I rode it for about a month and noticed it was weaking again and I say weaking because it's really not leaking that bad.I brought it back to Harley and at first they said it was the gooseneck then I called a week later and they said that the head might be leaking also.I got into a argument with them because the first time I had brought it to them I said I thought it may be coming from the head.long story short they fired 2 service managers and they had my bike since last October. I just called 2 weeks ago and they said 1300 to do the job.so I'm not even sure if the head us leaking or what.I would like to find someone I can trust to find out.I live in moosup ct if anyone has a guy.thank you

·
Registered
605 Posts
Slim chance its the head gasket leaking. Usanigel gave some very good basic advise. Clean the engine area off, let it dry, then start the bike and let it run. Have the airbox cover off so you can see the coolant lines easily. Look around the area where you think its leaking , you should be able to see any seeping/ weeping damp areas. Check the coolant lines by the upper frame rail. look for any 'shiny' areas on the lines; that can be areas of rubing wear. If its just a weep, rubbing your finger over the area will pick up the dampness. Not hard to do just take some time and save yourself some money.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,935 Posts
The people on this forum know more then the dealers and I am not affraid to say it.

Hell they call me as well as other people on this forum for help sometimes.

The people have told you what to do.

They are trying to help , but if you do not do what the suggest then we can not help you any further.

This is not a personal attack. Please do not take that way.

But do what was said, if you want to learn about the bike you ride here is a chance to do so.

Save yourself a ton of money.

Ask all the question you want someone has been there or done that.

Good Luck
rsc
Junp in hands first.LOL

·
Registered
605 Posts
Like rsc said: 'Jump in!' Nothing to be afraid of. At this time all you are doing is a good cleaning and areally complete 'look see.'
There are many here that can help you through just about anything on this bike. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Most good auto parts stores will pressure check your radiator cap for free. A good repair shop can pressure check the cooling system. If they have a cap that will fit. (think import) Only takes very low pressure (only up to 15 psi) DO NOT overpressure the cooling system! Your best bet is to run the bike (stationary) and observe all the coolant lines and adjacent areas.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts