Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
these people just don't have a clue...:hidesbeh: :stilpoke:

from the hdforum ""HD already has a water cooled engine that makes tremendous torque and HP on the V-ROD. Just wondering if they put this engine on the trike if anyone would buy it? It would solve all of the heat problems instantly.""

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It doesn't make tremendous torque, and the torque it does make is too high in the RPM range to move something as heavy as Trike or even a bagger. It's a great engine for what it was designed to do but it won't work well in a heavy bike.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacked-conversions-and-trailering/557020-v-rod-engine-on-trike.html

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I actually agree with that statement...

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
The problem with the VRod is off-idle torque. On a good day, a VRod has 40 ft/lbs where a 96 air cooled is about 70. The Vrod engine would be a blast to ride on a bagger once it got moving, but not so much fun 2 up, or loaded on long uphills.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
The Vrod sucks at 25-35 MPH, hence its troubling to ride the steep and sharp canyons roads with, Lots of Work and clutch riding.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
:them:

BUT, a V4 vrod based engine would be killer, the "hanky heads" as someone calls them, would never go for that!
All a trike would need is this 4 cylinder for power.This engine was developed and is sold by a Harley engineer that was canned for using the words,New & Improved one to many times.
Anyone that can't handle heat from a ,motorcycle needs to be in a cage.

Attachments

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
That's a band aid to fix the problem. The Vrod engine spins too many rpm for relaxed touring. Then, you'd need a wide ratio tranny and you'd have the huge rpm spread to deal with, which would screw up rideability. Face it, the Vrod engine is made for performance riding, not cruising coast to coast.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
... The Vrod engine spins too many rpm for relaxed touring. ... Face it, the Vrod engine is made for performance riding, not cruising coast to coast.
I couldn't agree more!

At 80 mph I tach along at 3,000 rpm on my Dyna and with my SuperTrapp exhaust all I can really hear is my geared cams whirring along. On the other hand .. my vrod with the v&h pipes makes it's presence known at that same speed at 5,000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The problem with the VRod is off-idle torque. On a good day, a VRod has 40 ft/lbs where a 96 air cooled is about 70. The Vrod engine would be a blast to ride on a bagger once it got moving, but not so much fun 2 up, or loaded on long uphills.
Nonsense. The V-Rod has ideal power for touring. Try spinning an engine for a change instead of driving it like a diesel! The V-Rod makes it's power in the same rpm range as most BMW's, Truimph Triples and the Yamaha FJR with a big fat midrange ideal for general road use and touring. Those big baggers (I'v ridden them) have no passing power. Their power band is very narrow in comparison to a modern engine. There is nothing about them to recommend, virtually every other brand of bike makes a better touring model than Harley does. Off idle power is useless on the road. It's what the bike can do at middling revs that counts, and it is there that Harley Big Twins are completely non competitive.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Well .. nonsense or revo not .. I do agree the stock baggers are dogs; too much weight for the power. The point, about more relaxed cruising, is the revo tachs at about 5k rpm at 80 mph and a 6 speed, twin cam, cruises at about 3k rpm. It is more relaxing to cruise at lower rpms. Lastly, the big twins wind up to 5500 rpms (red line) very well .. they have great low end and mid range power with an upgraded aircleaner and exhaust. I ride both regularly and this just doesn't change.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
WHAT? 25-35 is great fun. How can it be down on power when that is rubber boiling speed?
I never noticed until the Iron showed up, I had becoem so used to Constant gear changing on the Vrod while in the canyons, Always between 1st &2nd up hill and the same down with downshifting, always "Busy" trying to get the Motor Not to Jugg. The Iron though I leave in 2nd gear for most the time, sometimes going into 3rd and very little engine braking.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nonsense. The V-Rod has ideal power for touring. Try spinning an engine for a change instead of driving it like a diesel! The V-Rod makes it's power in the same rpm range as most BMW's, Truimph Triples and the Yamaha FJR with a big fat midrange ideal for general road use and touring. Those big baggers (I'v ridden them) have no passing power. Their power band is very narrow in comparison to a modern engine. There is nothing about them to recommend, virtually every other brand of bike makes a better touring model than Harley does. Off idle power is useless on the road. It's what the bike can do at middling revs that counts, and it is there that Harley Big Twins are completely non competitive.
What's the diff between a v-rod and a bagger, 150 - 200 lbs.? Had to give a friend a ride to a station after his bike cut out while on a ride. He is over 200 lbs, the engine had no issue, but the shocks weren't happy. Even after the 200 lb difference I easily could have had the wife on and another 50 lbs in cargo without issue. This engine would be fine....

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Until somebody builds a non race 1500cc Revo with conservative lift and timing we can argue this till we turn blue.
Ed

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Ugh, I don't see how existing bagger engines are that much better. Sure they get you up speed with torque, but once you are there you are screwed. Like someone mentioned you can't pass $hit with a bagger, I know I've ridden one and they are serious dogs.

Some tweaking of the gearing, a lower tooth pulley, and a 6th gear and the vrod engine would probably be pretty damn good as a touring engine.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The Vrod sucks at 25-35 MPH, hence its troubling to ride the steep and sharp canyons roads with, Lots of Work and clutch riding.
Have you tried a 26 tooth sprocket?

Makes a world of difference even over a 28.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The V-Rod with a 26 tooth and 6th gear would be spectacular. Tire destroying from a dead stop and able to run to 160 mph. It would be perfect. I agree with Philthy for once. It's got plenty of torque, it's a motorcycle, it doesn't need to tow a 5th wheel. All the bragging about torque from the air head crowd is moot. The V-Rod will anhialate them from 0-60, 60-80, 1/4 mile, from any speed to any other speed with or without a fat saggy breasted old lady on the back.

Lux, I don't recommend a 26T for you, but you definitely need a 28. That will fix everything for you in the canyons. Yours is an 02 and came with a 30t, Harley got rid of those in later models.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts