·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mjw930....just want to make sure I understand the options:

HD kit 40014-04K (includes belt): $244.95 list
-or-
Turbotec pulley $229 plus '04 belt 40105-04 $165 = $394.00

Based on your reference thread, can you set me straight on the differences: The HD kit requires special tools, or dealer install. The Turbotec can be done as a do-it-yourself project. If the dealer charges less than $150.00, then the HD kit is the way to go? In your opinion, is there any quality differences between the two? If I don't remap for the new pulley right away, is there any problems or damage that can be done to the bike?...thanks for the help.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
You are correct, if you don't mind doing the work yourself and have access to the tools needed then the HD kit is the cheapest. If you have the dealer install it then it's a wash on price.

If I had to do it all over again I would opt for the Turbotec + '04 belt. It's a 15 minute job vs. the factory kit and if you don't need the new belt (many don't) then you're saving money and time. Even if you need the belt, the costs aren't that high if you factor in having the dealer install the HD kit and you can go back very easily.

You won't do any harm not recalibrating the speedometer but you will rack up the miles on the odometer 7% faster than normal.

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What factors would cause the need of a new belt at the time of changing the pulley? What is the difference between the '03 and '04 belts?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The new belt is shorter to accomodate the smaller pulley. With the old belt you are at full extension.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
I opted for the Turbo Tech -- simplicity and price. Before I made my decision though I talked to Sam at TT( he developed the 28T) and asked him several questions. He indicated that it was not necessary to switch to a smaller belt. He has sold several extenders and has yet to have anyone use them -- and a lot of these guys drag race. Give the guy a call, this is what he does for a living -- and he's a good guy to boot.
Additionaly, having swapped out once, I feel confident I could do it again in 15-20 minutes if I want to do some long distance.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
For the HD kit. You need a special thinner walled socket to get the flange out, then you need a puller to get the larger 30t flange out. The HD kit comes with all necessary pieces (not the tools or the mechanic). I bought it because the price difference is not very much if you buy a shorter belt separately for the TT pulley. Installed it all yesterday while waiting for the TT pulley. I'm concerned with the weight difference. In a car you can feel the difference with a lighter flywheel. Some say it should not be noticeable on the V-Rod TTvsHD kit. I'm making it a point to try it and see if I notice a diff. If not I already have a person who bought a preowned 02 interested in just the kit without the belt (I'll keep it and my old belt for swappability) for $150 if he can use his stock belt. I do not want mine at full extension, sensations may change a bit on an alredy long motorcycle.

If only I had remembered the thinner walled socket thing I read on a previous post I'd be riding it today. Now I have to visit the in-laws instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts