Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On April 16th, I laid my 3 week old VRSCD down on the highway when we hit some sand. The levers on the right side snapped, mirror, grips, etc. The exhaust crumpled like tin foil. The air box and fender were munched as well. :banghead:

I had the bike towed to Carson City HD, where I had purchased the bike 20 days before. The wreck occured on a Friday, my insurance company rep was at the stealership that Monday (Progresive, they're good) and wrote them a check for the full amount of repairs.

That was 9 weeks ago, and my bike is still torn down in the back room at CCHD. They have no idea when the parts should arrive and they say i should be understanding, as this is what happens to wrecked bikes all the time. 9 weeks ago! The riding season isn't very long in Tahoe, and I'm watching it slip away.

I love my Night Rod. I miss my Night Rod. Somehow, the most bonehead company in America (HD) is producing the finest motrocycle in America. I love my Night Rod, but some days I wish it were built by Honda.

Thank you for indulging my sour grapes, but this forum is as close to a ride as I've been on for two months.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I don't think you should blame HD nor the local dealer for your error. I haven't dropped my R and so I haven't had to put it in the shop for weeks at a time. I am funny like that, I want to ride so I don't do things to put it in the shop in prime riding weather. Even an oil change, which I want done while I wait can result in problems. I had one where they took if for a test ride (WTF?) and lost one of my bags. No more test rides at oil changes for me.
Sorry for you situation and I hope bitchin' here helps you feel better.:moped:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Dude, that's funny. HD doesn't care, they already have the check!!!!!

Seriously,

Post up what you need and you can have the parts trickling to you in no time.

·
Ryan
4,192 Posts

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
ViagROD said:
On April 16the, I laid my 3 week old VRSCD down on the highway when we hit some sand. The levers on the right side snapped, mirror, grips, etc. The exhaust crumpled like tin foil. The air box and fender were munched as well. :banghead:

I had the bike towed to Carson City HD, where I had purchased the bike 20 days before. The wreck occured on a Friday, my insurance company rep was at the stealership that Monday (Progresive, they're good) and wrote them a check for the full amount of repairs.

That was 9 weeks ago, and my bike is still torn down in the back room at CCHD. They have no idea when the parts should arrive and they say i should be understanding, as this is what happens to wreceked bikes all the time. 9 weeks ago! The riding season isn't very long in Tahoe, and I'm watching it slip away.

I love my Night Rod. I miss my Night Rod. Somehow, the most bonehead company in America (HD) is producing the finest motrocycle in America. I love my Night Rod, but some days I wish it were built by Honda.

Thank you for endulging my sour grapes, but this forum is as close to a ride as I've been on for two months.
I am sorry but I have to dissagree, My bike had $8k in damages and all the parts came in within 2 weeks of being ordered by the dealer (and this is to Hawaii). The items that take longer are the tins because HD outsources the painting of them(4-6 weeks)

Go to the parts department and ask them specifically what they are waiting on and be sure they actually ordered the parts!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HawkStang, you are 100% right, Willie G did not take that corner too high on my bike and lay it down. I don't mean to imply that the moco wrecked my bike. But I can't understand why any motor company would be unable to supply the most basic replacement parts for a 6 year old model. And Carson City HD will lie at every opportunity if that's what they think you want to hear. Can you imagine waiting 9 weeks for Gold Wing or Vulcan parts? Not a chance. I've had lots and lots of bikes before, but it's the HD dealers that make my blood boil. Again, thanks to all, I did get a measure of relief from venting my spleen. Sorry about the blotch on the other-wise positive and optimistic vibes on this forum, but DAMN!

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
You say HD sucks, with almost 30% market share ( motorcycles in general ) I think the shareholders would argue with that statement..

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
ViagROD said:
HawkStang, you are 100% right, Willie G did not take that corner too high on my bike and lay it down. I don't mean to imply that the moco wrecked my bike. But I can't understand why any motor company would be unable to supply the most basic replacement parts for a 6 year old model. And Carson City HD will lie at every opportunity if that's what they think you want to here. Can you imagine waiting 9 weeks for Gold Wing or Vulcan parts? Not a chance. I've had lots and lots of bikes before, but it's the HD dealers that make my blood boil. Again, thanks to all, I did get a measure of relief from venting my spleen. Sorry about the blotch on the other-wise positive and optimistic vibes on this forum, but DAMN!
I have had numerous suzooks, try ordering a part for them... Always on back order, everything!!!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DTHDOC, congrats on selecting a competent dealer. Another reason I'd like to live in Hawaii. I've been to the dealer (40 miles) twice each week. The painted tins arrived a few weeks ago. It's a stupid brake pedal, air box badges and some exhaust parts that are still outstanding. I asked if they could put it together to ride unitl everything arrived and they declined, as that would require tearing down the bike twice. Which I can understand. I'm trying to be civil, especially seeing as how Capt Close waited 5 months, leaving me little to bitch about.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Ergoguy34 said:
You say HD sucks, with almost 30% market share ( motorcycles in general ) I think the shareholders would argue with that statement..
I imagine if He was on a FATBOY He would have His bike back by now, HD does Suck when it comes to our bikes and parts in the back room (I had to order Heat Shield Screws fer chris sake) or Techs that know how to fix them. So yes the big market share and the Stockholders are happy, VRSC owners not so much.

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
luxlamf said:
I imagine if He was on a FATBOY He would have His bike back by now, HD does Suck when it comes to our bikes and parts in the back room (I had to order Heat Shield Screws fer chris sake) or Techs that know how to fix them. So yes the big market share and the Stockholders are happy, VRSC owners not so much.
Parts in the back room you say?? My local dosent even have a vrod item in the store...:soapbox:

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
luxlamf said:
you coulda got them heat sheild screws here on the forums on ~>This<~ page.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
ViagROD said:
HawkStang, you are 100% right, Willie G did not take that corner too high on my bike and lay it down. I don't mean to imply that the moco wrecked my bike. But I can't understand why any motor company would be unable to supply the most basic replacement parts for a 6 year old model. And Carson City HD will lie at every opportunity if that's what they think you want to hear. Can you imagine waiting 9 weeks for Gold Wing or Vulcan parts? Not a chance. I've had lots and lots of bikes before, but it's the HD dealers that make my blood boil. Again, thanks to all, I did get a measure of relief from venting my spleen. Sorry about the blotch on the other-wise positive and optimistic vibes on this forum, but DAMN!
I think it is perfectly reasonable to come here and dump about frustrations in your life. I hope it helps. I would be nuts if my local dealer was lieing to me all the time. I guess I have a bigger choice here and I am willing to travel to make it to the right dealer. I have a home dealer but I don't use them exclusively. Sometimes they fail to get things straight, usually minor stuff. I don't to offer to fetch a part from another dealer if they don't have one. Hell sometimes they do that.

There is nothing I have ever owned that didn't have parts delay syndrome frustration at some time. I have no problem seeking and supplying parts sooner and cheaper than a shop that is doing insurance work. Don't let them tell you how it is to be done. They are supplying you a service for which you pay. In California anyway, it is illegal for insurance company to tell you where you have it repaired. So even in the middle of the repair, if they treat you like a mushroom, yank it. Just make sure you have a verbal commitment form another shop to fix it before you pull the trigger. Good Luck.
See you at Street Vibrations.

·
RICK
648 Posts
sounds like maybe its the dealership. I'd agree with hawkstang, but its a little late now. repairs don't have to be done by the dealership. However, you should have to sign off on the check before they can cash it, so thay don't get the money untill the repairs are done. Sometimes smaller shops can be helpful because they need the money! They won't put a big money job off to the side. Parts shouldn't take more than a couple weeks by any means!! They have other sources to get the parts, just like everybody else!

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
lakedrunk said:
you coulda got them heat sheild screws here on the forums on ~>This<~ page.
I found them at a Lovely little Mom & Pop Hardware store for on my way back from the dealer actually, they have just about any bolt I have ever needed (which is good when doing something and stripping out one of these HD bolts on a Saturday afternoon).

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
rjrivero said:
Dude, that's funny. HD doesn't care, they already have the check!!!!!

Seriously,

Post up what you need and you can have the parts trickling to you in no time.
Almost the same thing happened to me except the insurance company made the check out to me and HD didn't get their money until after the work was completed (about 3 months). My wreck happend in October which is great riding here in Texas, but I watched it all go by.

Also, when I looked at the repair estimate, they were going to charge a 1/2 hour to replace the freaking airbox cover. I told them just give it to me in the box and I can do in 15 seconds--and I pocketed that portion of the cash.

Yeah, HD is all about the sale and FU when you need them.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
sgtrage said:
WooooHooooo!!! There's now ONE official competent dealer.:dance:

I think you're probably just in the beginning stages of this nightmare.....
I just use the dealer to order MOCO specific parts for the bike because they give it to me close to their cost and they give me 20% off aftermarket parts.
(shipping gets expensive!)

Nobody works on my bike but me!

·
Registered
450 Posts
It kinda sounds like this would have been a sweet time to mod all the damaged parts and say screw the stealer:moped: .Glad you didn't get hurt

1 - 20 of 58 Posts