Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can you find V-Rod specialty engine tools my dealer can't get what I need until Jan. Does anybody make aftermarket tools? I need the crankshaft locking pin #HD-45306 and the Sec. cam chain tool #HD-45334.:eek:fftopic:

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Dig through the J & P catalog. You will frequently find tools that do the same thing but aren't HD branded for half the money. They also carry some of the expensive stuff if you have to have it. I bought the tools to remove and replace the neck bearing races for half the price of the HD tools; they get the job done but aren't as nice as the more expensive set.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Unfortunetly Jims doesn't make either of those... I don't know anyone making them for the V-Rod....sorry

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
I bought the tools to remove and replace the neck bearing races for half the price of the HD tools; they get the job done
I'm about to pick something like that up, what brand/make/model/price was it?

will it also pull/press wheel bearings???

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,912 Posts

I got my bearing tools from Georges Garage, still a bit pricey but still much less than others. I also used my spare lower triple clamp with bearing to seat the new bearing cups (races), you just have to do them one at a time with this method. There are alot of work arounds to installing the bearing cups but to remove them easily the tool works best, takes about 10 minutes witih the right tool.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Where can you find V-Rod specialty engine tools my dealer can't get what I need until Jan. Does anybody make aftermarket tools? I need the crankshaft locking pin #HD-45306 and the Sec. cam chain tool #HD-45334.:eek:fftopic:

I know Scott (ohiovrod) was selling tool kits for rebuilding the engine. I have one of the kits. I know it contains the crankshaft locking pin. I'm not sure about the cam chain tool but I'm sure Scott or Ken (O2man98) will chime as to what tools you really need and what they have available.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Sometimes, if you have cultivated a relationship with an independent shop, they might buy tools for you from a dealer where a dealer won't sell them directly to you. I have acquired "dealer only" stuff this way in the past.

·
Dtown's Mobile Tech.
901 Posts

Johnny I have the wheel bearing tools if you need them next time you are over or send stomper on a mission

Or if you really want your own Georegs Garage is where I got mine as well and the work excellent I have the 1", 7/8" and the 25mm set

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
One of the venders here makes and sell the TDC pin or you can just use a drill bit that fits.

Only Harley sells the secondary gauging tool.i checked with every tool maker and supplier for it and had no luck.I borrow the one I use from the local dealer.
Contact Smoothrod and ask him if he has made a gauging tool,or what procedure he has come up with for gauging the shims without the tool.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I know Scott (ohiovrod) was selling tool kits for rebuilding the engine. I have one of the kits. I know it contains the crankshaft locking pin. I'm not sure about the cam chain tool but I'm sure Scott or Ken (O2man98) will chime as to what tools you really need and what they have available.
You do not NEED either of those tools for engine assembly. Actually you do not NEED any of the "special" tools for assembly. The new 09+ engines do not even have a case boss for the TDC pin and one shim is all that I have ever seen needed for the chain tensioner.

Contact Scott if you do want a TDC pin and also ask him about the bad azz cam chain tools that allow you to rotate the engine in either direction without the chains jumping when going backwards.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You do not NEED either of those tools for engine assembly. Actually you do not NEED any of the "special" tools for assembly. The new 09+ engines do not even have a case boss for the TDC pin and one shim is all that I have ever seen needed for the chain tensioner.
Thanks that will save me alot of time and money.:D
Contact Scott if you do want a TDC pin and also ask him about the bad azz cam chain tools that allow you to rotate the engine in either direction without the chains jumping when going backwards.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts

Johnny, I don't remember what brand, etc. it was. Total price was about $100 for the pieces needed to remove and replace the races. It was the cheapest set up listed in J & P. I bought the cheapest because I figured I would only use it once or twice, but still cheaper than paying the dealer then doing it myself anyway. The one I have is the old style that grips the bearing race and then you beat it out or back in with a 8 pound hammer. It does not work on wheel bearings. I already had pullers for those. If you need, I can get more specific information tonight at home. Let me know.

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
The only one I haven't found for cheap that you need is the tappet compression tool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts