Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Lets Ride!!
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:soapbox:

I heard today that Harley Davidson is opening an assembly plant in India. What happened to The Iconic American Motorcycle company? How will this effect the cost to the consumer? I will be damned if they want me to pay that Xtra crate fee for them to ship the bike twice. They are trying to save face with the fact the parts will be built in the USA but it will be built in India! :bs:

I love HD but this is very Unsettling to me!

http://http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-04/world/india.bikes_1_india-market-harley-davidsons-haryana?_s=PM:WORLD

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
:soapbox:

I heard today that Harley Davidson is opening an assembly plant in India. What happened to The Iconic American Motorcycle company? How will this effect the cost to the consumer? I will be damned if they want me to pay that Xtra crate fee for them to ship the bike twice. They are trying to save face with the fact the parts will be built in the USA but it will be built in India! :bs:

I love HD but this is very Unsettling to me!

http://http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-04/world/india.bikes_1_india-market-harley-davidsons-haryana?_s=PM:WORLD

That Co. disappeared long ago, ever Wonder Why it says "An American "Legend" everywhere and NOT and American Co.? Keep wearing the swag.

THey are doing it very "Smoothly" though by Stating everywhere that its an Assembly Only Plant and the Bikes will Never be imported into the USA, so the HD Soilders in their little outfits can make excuses etc... for a while longer until they switch over to More than Just Assembly when the press dies down. I bet Most dont know thaere is a Plat Outside the USA already.

Harley-Davidson to Build Bikes in India

Harley-Davidson, the iconic American motorcycle brand with a cult-like following, has announced it has chosen to build its second assembly plant ever outside the United States in India.
The “complete knock down” plant or CKD is expected to be up and running in the northern Indian state of Haryana in first half of 2011. Parts made in America will be put together for the Indian market in Haryana.
“What we are doing is made in USA, assembled in India, which will have a positive job effect back home which is why we are driving this investment as quickly as we are,” Anoop Prakash managing director for Harley Davidson India said.
India is the second fastest growing two-wheeler market in the world behind China. More than 10 million two-wheelers were sold in India in the 2009-2010 fiscal

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
That Co. disappeared long ago, ever Wonder Why it says "An American "Legend" everywhere and NOT and American Co.? Keep wearing the swag.

THey are doing it very "Smoothly" though by Stating everywhere that its an Assembly Only Plant and the Bikes will Never be imported into the USA, so the HD Soilders in their little outfits can make excuses etc... for a while longer until they switch over to More than Just Assembly when the press dies down. I bet Most dont know thaere is a Plat Outside the USA already.

Harley-Davidson to Build Bikes in India

Harley-Davidson, the iconic American motorcycle brand with a cult-like following, has announced it has chosen to build its second assembly plant ever outside the United States in India.
The “complete knock down” plant or CKD is expected to be up and running in the northern Indian state of Haryana in first half of 2011. Parts made in America will be put together for the Indian market in Haryana.
“What we are doing is made in USA, assembled in India, which will have a positive job effect back home which is why we are driving this investment as quickly as we are,” Anoop Prakash managing director for Harley Davidson India said.
India is the second fastest growing two-wheeler market in the world behind China. More than 10 million two-wheelers were sold in India in the 2009-2010 fiscal

Are they considering the old Aermacchi plant in Italy to be Harley Davidson's first foreign manufacturing plant?

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Are they considering the old Aermacchi plant in Italy to be Harley Davidson's first foreign manufacturing plant?
They did make a nice product there but I imagine they are taling about the Brazil Plant.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Just as long as they keep those bikes over there, I don't see a problem with it. And if American parts are sourced to them, it's all good with me.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Just as long as they keep those bikes over there, I don't see a problem with it. And if American parts are sourced to them, it's all good with me.
Near everything we buy is pieced in and out of everywhere and anywhere. Harley should be different?

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Not at all. To me, it's no different than what all of the Japanese car makers have done here. Build them in the country you're gonna sell 'em.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
They did make a nice product there but I imagine they are taling about the Brazil Plant.

I didn't know Harley had a plant in Brazil! Looks like it has been there since 1999.
I was looking at the tariffs India imposes on imported vehicles and assembling bikes in India makes perfect sense. I think all the angst is misplaced.

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Not at all. To me, it's no different than what all of the Japanese car makers have done here. Build them in the country you're gonna sell 'em.
I didn't know Harley had a plant in Brazil! Looks like it has been there since 1999.
I was looking at the tariffs India imposes on imported vehicles and assembling bikes in India makes perfect sense. I think all the angst is misplaced.
:them:

Simple, invest in the country you wish to do business in.......

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
:them:

Simple, invest in the country you wish to do business in.......
Thats a start.

I have recommended it before and will still do as a great read for anyone who Wants to look at the present & Future of the global economy and how it will continue and formed.

The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century

http://www.amazon.com/World-Flat-3-0-History-Twenty-first/dp/0312425074
The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century is an international bestselling book by Thomas Friedman that analyzes globalization, primarily in the early 21st century. The title is a metaphor for viewing the world as a level playing field in terms of commerce, where all competitors have an equal opportunity. As the first edition cover illustration indicates, the title also alludes to the perceptual shift required for countries, companies and individuals to remain competitive in a global market where historical and geographical divisions are becoming increasingly irrelevant.
The book was first released in 2005, was later released as an "updated and expanded" edition in 2006, and yet again released with additional updates in 2007 as "further updated and expanded: Release 3.0". The title was derived from a statement by Nandan Nilekani, the former CEO of Infosys.

In the book, Friedman recounts a journey to Bangalore, India, when he realized globalization has changed core economic concepts.[1] In his opinion, this flattening is a product of a convergence of personal computer with fiber-optic micro cable with the rise of work flow software. He termed this period as Globalization 3.0, differentiating this period from the previous Globalization 1.0 (in which countries and governments were the main protagonists) and the Globalization 2.0 (in which multinational companies led the way in driving global integration).
Friedman recounts many examples of companies based in India and China that, by providing labor from typists and call center operators to accountants and computer programmers, have become integral parts of complex global supply chains for companies such as Dell, AOL, and Microsoft. Friedman's Dell Theory of Conflict Prevention is discussed in the book's penultimate chapter.
Friedman repeatedly uses lists as an organizational device to communicate key concepts, usually numbered, and often with a provocative label. Two example lists are the ten forces that flattened the world, and three points of convergence.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Thats a start.

I have recommended it before and will still do as a great read for anyone who Wants to look at the present & Future of the global economy and how it will continue and formed.

The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century

http://www.amazon.com/World-Flat-3-0-History-Twenty-first/dp/0312425074
The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century is an international bestselling book by Thomas Friedman that analyzes globalization, primarily in the early 21st century. The title is a metaphor for viewing the world as a level playing field in terms of commerce, where all competitors have an equal opportunity. As the first edition cover illustration indicates, the title also alludes to the perceptual shift required for countries, companies and individuals to remain competitive in a global market where historical and geographical divisions are becoming increasingly irrelevant.
The book was first released in 2005, was later released as an "updated and expanded" edition in 2006, and yet again released with additional updates in 2007 as "further updated and expanded: Release 3.0". The title was derived from a statement by Nandan Nilekani, the former CEO of Infosys.

In the book, Friedman recounts a journey to Bangalore, India, when he realized globalization has changed core economic concepts.[1] In his opinion, this flattening is a product of a convergence of personal computer with fiber-optic micro cable with the rise of work flow software. He termed this period as Globalization 3.0, differentiating this period from the previous Globalization 1.0 (in which countries and governments were the main protagonists) and the Globalization 2.0 (in which multinational companies led the way in driving global integration).
Friedman recounts many examples of companies based in India and China that, by providing labor from typists and call center operators to accountants and computer programmers, have become integral parts of complex global supply chains for companies such as Dell, AOL, and Microsoft. Friedman's Dell Theory of Conflict Prevention is discussed in the book's penultimate chapter.
Friedman repeatedly uses lists as an organizational device to communicate key concepts, usually numbered, and often with a provocative label. Two example lists are the ten forces that flattened the world, and three points of convergence.
A good read for those who want to stay abreast of world economics.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
A good read for those who want to stay abreast of world economics.
A very good read. Keep his "opinions" in the vault and keep in mind economics are not only similar to but linked to politics. Very dicey times we live in.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
A very good read. Keep his "opinions" in the vault and keep in mind economics are not only similar to but linked to politics. Very dicey times we live in.
It wasn't much more than a century ago that Economics was most often called "Political Economy". Then we added a layer of differential equations and some heavy duty statistics and declared it a science.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
More than 10 million two-wheelers were sold in India in the 2009-2010 fiscal[/I]
This bit made me smile.They forgot to mention that 9.9 million of them were locally made 200cc Honda's and Yamahas.
When I was in Chennai I didn't see a single bigger bike despite it being the city where they make Enfields , so I can't see who is going to buy these Harley's. Or more to the point who's going to have the money to buy them.....
I'm also having trouble envisioning the HOG chapters too :)

Steve

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
This bit made me smile.They forgot to mention that 9.9 million of them were locally made 200cc Honda's and Yamahas.
When I was in Chennai I didn't see a single bigger bike despite it being the city where they make Enfields , so I can't see who is going to buy these Harley's. Or more to the point who's going to have the money to buy them.....
I'm also having trouble envisioning the HOG chapters too :)

Steve
And scooters are getting huge there as well.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
It wasn't much more than a century ago that Economics was most often called "Political Economy". Then we added a layer of differential equations and some heavy duty statistics and declared it a science.
I read a book by Douglas Casey called Crisis Investing back in the late 70's and it peaked my interest in real economics and how "money" really works and "lives". It was less of an "economic " book than it was about making money during a recession or how and why to invest in good and bad economy's.
He spoke about moneys real buying power, inflation, deflation, how and why, not necessarily advocating an economic format or opinion but how to make money.

The best read ever as a younger man, I developed a mindset from it that has stayed with me to this day.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If the motorcycle is imported into India as a complete unit,the tax is 60%.
Sub assembly's will be built in the U.S. and Brazil,mostly in Bazil because human labor is way cheap there.The motorcycles will be assembled in India.
India now has 4 dealers and very few deliverys have been made on orders placed.Harley claims they have 1.2 billion potential customers!
It will take a complete sell out from the Davidson's for the HD company to succeed large in India.
What I see happening very soon,is Harley to move out of the U.S,and force the tax on the people in the United States that buy their product while giving all the poor Indians in the nice lush dealers and assembly plant jobs so the Indian economy can grow.
The United States had their turn,now it's time for the U.S.to allow other country's to learn what credit,bankruptcy,complete laziness and political greed is all about.
You guys that are still young had better start using all the college education you have under your belts and start coming up with all the ideas they say all the other countrys are going to buy from you so you can pay your bills.They say there will be a good price paid for American technology in the very near future.Yall better learn quick,sell high,and sell fast!

·
Noel
4,596 Posts
...What I see happening very soon,is Harley to move out of the U.S,and force the tax on the people in the United States that buy their product while giving all the poor Indians in the nice lush dealers and assembly plant jobs so the Indian economy can grow.

The United States had their turn,now it's time for the U.S.to allow other country's to learn what credit,bankruptcy,complete laziness and political greed is all about.

You guys that are still young had better start using all the college education you have under your belts and start coming up with all the ideas they say all the other countrys are going to buy from you so you can pay your bills.They say there will be a good price paid for American technology in the very near future.Yall better learn quick,sell high,and sell fast!
:them: Line feeds & all :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts