Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.. Going to install these this weekend, the only thing that really confuses me is the connection to accessory power. It tells you to cut the white/orange wire to the fuse box and splice it with the orange/white on the grip harness.. So we are taking the fuse out of the equation or am I confused? It says spice the cut wires with the one from the grip harness in a butt splice, which says to be no more fuse.. ?

Someone shed some light pls.

Thanks,

Dustin.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... It tells you to cut the white/orange wire to the fuse box and splice it with the orange/white on the grip harness.. So we are taking the fuse out of the equation or am I confused? It says spice the cut wires with the one from the grip harness in a butt splice, which says to be no more fuse.. ? ...
From what I read on page 3 of the instructions (-J102983.pdf) under the "VRSC (V-Rod) Models" section, step number 3; you're told to use a butt splice to connect all three O/W wires. This means you're connecting the one O/W wire from the heated grips and the two produced by cutting the O/W wire from the ACCY fuse.

IOW, you're just tapping into the "ACCY" circuit so the 15 A ACCY fuse will still be used. Of course if your grips blow this fuse, you'll also lose your brake lights, turn signal controls, and if you have a newer model VRSC, the fuel level gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
You can use a piggy back connector to save cutting the wire. I think I used a blue one on mine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thanks steve I re-read the install this morning and figured it out lol.. Must have had my beer eyes on last night.. I think what I will end up doing is soldering the wires together and heat shrinking them.. The splice doesnt seem like that great of an idea in my mind..

Thanks for your input vrod, your definitely entitled to your opinion on them, but Ive heard it before with the fuel guage and mine works just fine..

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I had the HD heated grips installed on my bike since new in March '07. They work great and have never failed me, but suck for heat output when temps dip below 40. If you want to get the most out of the HD heated grips, I highly recommend that you purchase gloves designed to work with heated grips, ie; allow heat in but keep cold out. Firstgear offers a couple options and I can personally recommend the TPG Glacier Gloves as awesome even when riding for 2 hours in 12〫weather with heated grips or not.

P.S. in regards to blowing the accessory fuse with the HD heated grips, I have yet to blow mine and have gps, radar detector, sat radio, & heated grips connected to that fused circuit. There are two "spare" spaces on the fuse box that you can store extra 15 amp fuses as a 'just in case" back up though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about gloves ultra, but Im looking for a year round application here. I tried on the harley heated gloves and I wouldnt wanna wear those all year.. I live in Canada, mind you not cold Canada lol but it still would be nice to have heat all year around.. I tell you I shoulda been born in Cali..

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I thought about gloves ultra, but Im looking for a year round application here. I tried on the harley heated gloves and I wouldnt wanna wear those all year.. I live in Canada, mind you not cold Canada lol but it still would be nice to have heat all year around.. I tell you I shoulda been born in Cali..
ding ding ding!! That's the number one reason I went with the grips. For those cool spring and fall mornings and nights where it's too warm to wear the heavier riding gloves, but just a touch too chilly for my perforated gloves alone. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just did the install today, took a few hours, but I wanted to be patient and do a good job. Went very well, and Im happy to say the grips work and they are nice and toasty! Had to play with the throttle/idle cables a bit to get a good return, but was very happy with the results once complete..

I ended up taking off the pass seat to get at the fuse box, just to get better access to the access fuse.. hehe almost cut the fuel pump wire until I read the map (fuel pump is orange white as well)

Anyways all in all was a great day learning a little about the electrical system in the dx, and getting the job done..

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...almost cut the fuel pump wire until I read the map (fuel pump is orange white as well) ...
Actually, although it might look like Orange with a White stripe (O/W), your fuel pump wire is Orange with a Gray stripe (O/GY) unless your bike is an early model (sometime before 2005) without the “Fuel Pump” fuse. Those early bikes use the Yellow with Green stripe (Y/GN) wire fed by the System Relay to power the fuel pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts