Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having one of my bags off to get the vinyl repaired, I got to looking at the bracket and realized that I could mount almost any bag on it that would clear the shock and the signal lights. Leatherworks makes a great high quality slant bag that fits the bracket perfectly. All you would have to do is drill two small holes in the back of the bag and use the existing bolts and washer to bolt them on. The bracket supports the bag at the bottom, and the back of the bag is rigid and designed for hard mounting. I took the bike down to Eastside HD and held one up to it. The bag looked great and perfectly fit the space between the shocks and the signal lights and the signal light just hits the pouch on the back. In my opinion they look better than the Leather Pros bags in that they do not hide the shocks. They would not hold as much, however, and the HD hardbag bracket is not so easily removable. I wish I had had my camera to show how nice they looked.

I prefer the molded hard bag look to the traditional look for the bike, so if the vinyl repair works I will stick with the hard bags. However, if the bag ends up looking like hell, instead of paying HD another $849.00 for a new set of bags(they will not sell one bag separately) I might just spend half ( $485.00 with pockets) for the Leatherworks bags.

http://www.leatherworksinc.com/

Attachments

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These bags also come in a throw-over style that probably would fit the bike (depending on seat and model). You would want to buy the V-Mod saddlebag support brackets, or use something to protect the paint (cover the paint with vinyl protection tape and put some foam backing on the bags)

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I like that idea. Post a pic when you have them mounted. I'm starting to get tired of trying to snap my HD bags closed. I may end up adding some straps or buckles to them. If I fail, this may be my plan B. :D

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richard: I repaired my bag (seat guy did an excellent job - $200.00) so I will not be going there. I still like the looks, if not the lack of waterproofness and capacity, of the HD Hard bags I have. I would buy the Leatherworks bag over either of the two leather bags HD offered for the V-Rod.

·
Registered
922 Posts
V-Fred said:
Richard: I repaired my bag (seat guy did an excellent job - $200.00) so I will not be going there. I still like the looks, if not the lack of waterproofness and capacity, of the HD Hard bags I have. I would buy the Leatherworks bag over either of the two leather bags HD offered for the V-Rod.

Fred would you mind posting the the name and phone number of the guy that did your bags. A friend of mine pulled up next to me at a stop and caught my right side bag with his Road King's crash bar/highway peg. I tried fixing it with a vinyl repair kit but it looks like garbage (the repair).

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MurphysLaw said:
Fred would you mind posting the the name and phone number of the guy that did your bags. A friend of mine pulled up next to me at a stop and caught my right side bag with his Road King's crash bar/highway peg. I tried fixing it with a vinyl repair kit but it looks like garbage (the repair).
Mac's Uphostery
5015 15th Avenue NW
Seattle, WA 98107

206 783 1696

Ask for Steve

Fred

·
Registered
922 Posts
V-Fred said:
Mac's Uphostery
5015 15th Avenue NW