Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Kuryakn ISO grips in the garage waiting to be installed, and I was wondering if the instructions are the same for the various HD grip models:

1. cut or pry old grips off;
2. clean bars;
3. determine new grip and cable positions;
4. use provided super glue to attach.

Also, step 1 is fine for the stock rubber grips, but what do you do if you ever decide to replace the custom ones? Can't cut those off (easily)...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Armieri that pretty much is the way to do it. Usually the heavier custom grips I have been able to grab them and get them turning and then pry them off since they have more body then the rubber grips.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Armieri,

I would advise you to install the Kuryakin throttle pipe/grip first. I bought a set of the Iso grips week before last and installed the throttle side first. I found the Iso throttle pipe rather sloppy fit resulting in a lot of free play, which I just don't care for in my throttle feel. Seems to me the Iso throttle pipe just has a lot of clearance there....try it out and see what you think is all I'm saying. I put the original black back on, I don't like a lot of play/free movement in my controls. Give me your opinion when you do it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
When I installed my ISO grips I simply put a layer of black electric tape on the left side and pushed the grip on while rotating it. It's a very snug fit yet you can remove it later. As far as the throttle side goes mine doesn't have any more free play than the stock one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
V-Man said:
When I installed my ISO grips I simply put a layer of black electric tape on the left side and pushed the grip on while rotating it. It's a very snug fit yet you can remove it later.
That tape trick is pretty interesting to me, seems better than using the glue. Too bad you can't do that on the right side, too.

Seems like there should be some easier way to change grips, like some sort of universal grip mount system that the grips attach to using snap-rings (or something similarly small).

Too bad I have no fabrication skills...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've got the ISO grips and do notice a bit of play on the throttle side. Theres seems to be a slight gap that allows for a bit off movement if you give it a slight tug. Never has bothered me enough to think about changing them and have loved the feel of the grips since day one. Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts