Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gruntman
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, V-Rodders:

I received a recall letter to replace the Fuel Tank Fule Module Flange from HD. HD says in their letter that the new fuel module flange provides more conistent fuel pressure delivery and improves the smoothness of engine operation. Amazing! I have 1K miles on my 03 and it runs great! Called the dealer and was told I was first on the list for the recall repair. They do not have the component part in stock and will be called when the part arrives to schedule the repair. Will keep you informed.

Thank you,

Edman
FNG

Remember: Rangers Lead The Way!:biker:

·
Registered
126 Posts
yea got mine yesterday in the mail...dealer putting it in friday mornin.....3k and she is running great w/just a stumble a few times when not fully warmed up.better fuel pressure is always a good thing:D

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I would be sure that this is to repair the fitting leaking on the sending unit that so many have complained about. From what I understand it is easy to see if yours is leaking.

Remove the gas cap, start the engine and look in the tank. If yours is currently leaking you should see a mist of fuel near the filler neck. If it is not leaking you should still get the repair done as enough have leaked to prove the current design is flawd.

Max

·
1,738 Posts
I second what Max said above. Get it done. It is preventative maintence that should be a mandatory recall by the MoCo.

The service manager at my dealer told me yesterday that this is a far more common problem than HD will admit. Three weeks ago when my bike laid up with this problem (prior to the letter) he was towing the company line that it was a relatively rare occurance.

My bike now seems to run better than it ever has (bought it with 700 miles on it), which leads me to believe that lower than normal or intermitent loss of pressure can be so subtle that you become used to it as the bikes natural performance. When mine started to be obvious it was almost unridable within 100 miles.

Even if your bike is running perfectly, have it done at your convenience this winter (mine was laid up for two weeks during some of the best early fall riding weather Seattle has ever had). Parts availabilty will probably be a problem. My dealer does not have 50 units to replace those on all the 03's they sold, and others on V-Twin Forums are reporting month long waits due to lack of parts at their Dealers.

Max: perhaps you know.... am I correct that fuel pressure could have been below spec for 5,000 miles? And, if it was.. could it have damaged the engine? My service manager, feels nothing was probably done to the the valves or pistons, and says that anything related would be covered under warrenty. Thoughts?

Fred

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I'll put this as easy as I can.

low fuel pressure = lean condition

lean condition = heat

heat = damage

piston tops suffer, valves and the stems suffer. How much they suffer is determined by how lean it has been running and how hard it was run while it was lean. A five mile full throttle run on a lean engine can and has in the past caused holes in pistons of engines that I have worked on.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Pitstop it looks like only 03 and 04 bikes fall into this. You will find a picture of the letter in the gallery section or you can do a search for "letter" and it should bring up several threads about it.

Max

·
AMF
423 Posts
I had my bike in 3 weeks ago for the first service and I asked about this fuel problem at that time, they looked at me like I had 3 eyes. Had never seen or heard about the problem.

I received the letter this week and called the dealer to get an appoinment and was told they are taking names in the order of phone calls received and will call me when a part is available. When I asked about why they knew nothing about the problem 3 weeks ago all I got was "sorry". I posted great things about my dealer in V-Twin and I was a little disappointed in the response.

I hope that maybe I just talked to someone there at the time who really did'nt know anything, but I felt he should have asked someone else if he was'nt sure.

John

·
Vroddin' Madman
271 Posts
Can anyone tell me why the O2's are exempt? Was there a change in the design?? I just completed my 10k and when I replaced the plugs I noticed that they were white tipped which indicates a lean situation. Should I be concerned?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Whitelighter a white tip is not a bad thing. If the tips are blistered or have small holes that is a lean system. If you have your fuel mixture close to right the plugs should be light brown or white.

I have not seen any of the 02's that suffer from this problem. A quick fuel pressure test or just take off the fuel cap and start the engine should be enough to tell you. Fuel pressure should be 55-62 psi and with the cap off those that have the bad line will have a mist or spray of fuel that is visible inside the tank.

Max

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Whitelighter said:
Can anyone tell me why the O2's are exempt? Was there a change in the design??
I asked my girlfriend to ask a source at H-D to confirm that there was a "design change" sometime in '03 that lead to this problem. I'll post the answer a little later in the week.

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
LisaVR03 said:
John,
Your dealer wouldn't happen to be Ramseys Harley?
Doug
Doug....
I too am waiting for his answer. I haven't called them yet to schedule my warranty work, like to hear vrodjohn's story if he HAS dealt with Ramsey's....

Mike

·
AMF
423 Posts
No, my dealer is Waugh Harley Davidson in Orange, VA

:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
Just called three dealers in my vicinity:

HD/Buell N. Texas, Old Denton Rd, Carrollton:
:slap2: "The part is on backorder, get back with us mid November."

HD/Buell of Dallas, Centerville Rd, Garland:
:whack: "We should be getting a ton of those November 7th"

HD/Buell of Dallas, Central Expressway, Allen:
:yak: "I'll get your name and number and call you back when we get the parts in."

Ok, so I only received this recall letter a couple of weeks ago. Are my expectations too high?

·
Registered
974 Posts
My 2003 has a 6-02 build date. I have rec'd no letter. Should I be concerned about this ? Or just let it be ?
Just wondering/not in a total panic or anything. I will just wait for over the winter.......
BobT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts