Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you went with the HD extended warranty and for how long. I've still got about 10 months to make up my mind on it, but after a $3000 new transmission in my Dodge Durango (barely out of warranty) I'm thinking quite a bit about it.
- Crash

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Crash I purchased the extended warranty for 36 months but about all it is good for to me is a major failure. When I purchased my 02 the bike was still new to the market and no real feedback had come in about durability. When I purchased Jeannies 03 I took the same policy, I just hate to have to buy an engine and still make payments at the same time.

Max

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
I too took the extended. I forget for how many years.....i think 4 extra. Like Max's i bought mine in 02 and with no history on them i just felt like it would be safer to have than not have. As well as if i ever wanted to sell the bike it could be a selling feature. (Thought process before owning it)

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Worth it? You bet. I have the 7 year and very glad to have it. If the first year is any indication of how often my bike will be in the shop, then I'll make out like a bandit.

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Having the '04 come with a two year warrenty and hopefully the MoCo knows what they are doing now on the V-Rod, I declined taking the extra years. We'll see ...................

·
Gruntman
49 Posts
HD Extended Warranty

When I bought my V-Rod in September 03 the package deal consisted of the 1 year factory warranty plus 2 year extended warranty for a total of 3 years. I believe it is a good idea to buy the extended warranty because you never know when it may come in handy! But, that is my opinion and you need to decide for yourself if it is worth it! Best of luck!

Edman:biker:

Remember: Rangers Lead The Way!

·
AMF
423 Posts
Crash said:
but after a $3000 new transmission in my Dodge Durango (barely out of warranty)
You should contact Chrysler and see if you could get some assistance for that failure if it was "barely out of warranty"
call 800-992-1997 and explain the situation. I have seen Chrysler partial re-imburse customers for after the fact repairs. Better to ask for the assistance prior to the repair but never hurts to ask.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Nope, definetly not give MoCo any more of my cash. I felt they spent their money to develop the V-rod, that any problems they found during the 10 year period would cover the bases.
I don't beat on the bike, as I found out early on if you beat on it, it will beat on your wall- it. I'll push it to the red line, but won't do any hole shots at 6K to see how much smoke it will produce, no reason for me to do that, so I thought what the hey, I'll spend the dough on other things I'd like to get Not into the 1/4 mile anymore, just cruisin, and when I need the go, its there.

If warranty is anything like my luck in Vegas, I'd get it, and never have a need for it.

Rich

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VRodjohn - thanks for the ph #...I'll give them a call. I did talk to a Chrysler regional rep via the local dealership. They asked him about partial help w/ repairs and he told them "No!" because I had previously done my 30,000 mi. maintenance at a local garage and not at the dealer (what a bunch of crap!!) Anyway, I know this is off topic a bit, but it's part of the help that this forum is there to provide. Again, thanks! - Crash

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking about either a 5 yr or even the 7 yr...I plan to keep this bike and am sure someting big will break eventually....most likely after 4 yrs or so.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Crash this is off topic but don't let the dealership do the calling for you and I have never heard as rep ask if or when or by who a 30k service was done. The car business is nothing like the motorcycle dealers. You might also check your owners manual to see if it even calls for any service of the trans at 30k I doubt it does now days. Also Chrysler has always made some of the worst tans of anyone. I worked for them for a few years and they are terrible and the current models are nothing more then old 727 and 904 trans with overdrive units made to the tail of them and have been known to starve themselves for oil due to poor machining.

Max

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Crash,
I took the 4 year deal like CW-Vrod did. Figured that in 5 years (1 year factory, 4 years extended) anything that I hadn't modified would either break or be reliable!

Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
I purchased a four year extended warranty with no reservations. I think you have to ask a few questions to determine if a warranty is a good gamble or not. (and it is that simple, the moco is betting you will not have a failure and I am betting I will, sooner or later) How many miles do you typically ride? Do you like to push the motor's ability and keep it there? How long do you plan on keeping that particular bike? Do you plan on modifying the bile with aftermarket performance parts that will void the warranty? etc, etc.
I purchased a 5 year warranty for my 99 Ultra, have averaged approx 20k miles annualy. It has had almost 2k in warranty work done on it, with an extended warranty cost of about $700. So I have won that gamble. I betting I will get my money back on the Vrod warranty as well, I love it, am not going to trade it for several years and ride it like it's been stolen. BTW, the warranty is only as good as the dealer and I have a good, fair dealer.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
How Much?

Are extended warranties from the MoCo all the same price? or do dealers mark them up differently. I don't trust my stealer.

How much have you all paid for your extended warranties?

In the past I've always figured that warranties are insurance, and that insurance companies make money off of the suckers willing to pay them. So- my theory has been that you only insure what you cannot afford to lose.

Of course, what it costs the MoCo to fix your bike, and what the dealer would charge you, are two very different prices. So, if you are planning on taking the bike to the stealer to have it repaired, it might be more cost effective to get the insurance. If you're gonna' fix it yourself, probably better off not getting the insurance. Just my :2cents

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great advise all the way 'round...

I need to talk to my dealer anyway. I've got questions about the warranty...I bought my bike as a dealer demo because I got a smokin' deal on it and it had tons of extras included. (We got into a discussion about being in the military, and I think they cut me a pretty good deal because of that) Anyway...my bike had a little over 1000 miles on it and came w/ SE slip-ons and SE air filter/download......what exactly does that do to my warranty? Does it only affect the warranty on the muffler, or does it affect the engine at all? also, if it does, then they should have given me the original pipes in case I have to put them back on for warranty work! Any ideas? Thanks - Crash

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Every Dealer is different,but since they put it on before you got the bike I'd think your pretty safe!I will still ask for your "Take off parts" just in case you want to go back to stock or sell them or it with all the stock stuff!
:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
hd warr.

warr. adds piece of mind if nothing else. it is a good feature if you are going to sell the bike to a new owner. makes the bike easier to sell if it is covered by the extended warr.

oldbiker

·
Registered
8 Posts
Extended Warranty Price

When I test rode the VROD at my local dealer, he gave me a photocopy of an official looking HD price sheet. 3 years (1 factory + 2 extended) was $675.

Then I found the bike $3,000 less at a PA dealer. They gave me a sheet that had the same warranty for $625.

I haven't decided whether to get it or not. I have 90 days before they charge another $150 for the same coverage (same additional charge at both dealers).

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Do you have to pay a $50 co-pay with each claim?My 02 only had a 1 year .I had to take it in for the rear coil and oil leak.$50 instead of $400!It would only take a couple Small claims or one Big one to cove the policy.:cool:

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
The stealership in Honolulu wanted 875.00 for the 2 year extended, and 1400.00 for the 4 year. These guys in Hawaii have been raping the customers for so many years it is unbelievable.

Found out that MSRP is their base for taking their markup on, at 30%. I discovered this when I talked with a rep at MoCo, and got thier MSRP on a upgrade oil tank kit for a built up sporty I own. The kit was MSRP'd at 225.00 When I went to the stealership here, they told me the price and I flipped out. Their price was 395.00, and freight on the kit could not have been anymore than 35.00 via UPS or FEDEX. I bit the bullet on that one, and then did some homework and I found out I can order through Bartels in Calif., freight parts over and save $.

I did get the V-rod I have from the local dealer at MSRP though, and used the technique of if you wont do biz with me, I'll freight it in, and you'll have the warranty issues to deal with while another dealer got the profit. Told no more than MSRP...PERIOD.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts