Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, Been reading this site for about three years and finally have a question.
I took my 2017 Night Rod in for a 10000 mile check-up. I purchased the 5 quarts of synthetic oil for the oil change. I drove home and after 1200 miles I checked the oil level and it didn't even register on the dip stick. I got to thinking and knew something was wrong. My bike does not leak. I drove over to American Eagle HD in Corinth Texas and asked my service advisor how this was possible? He checked his records and asked me what I was looking for. I replied that I wanted a synthetic oil change with a new filter because I don't think they did ANYTHING during my check-up. He said OK and scheduled me for the oil change.
When I arrived the next day he informed me that the new service manager decided that what they were gonna do was top off the oil level, check the filter box for a leak and have me put on a 1000 miles and check the level. They found no leak anywhere on my bike. So now I need to tack on a 1000 miles and I know that it will show that the oil level is acceptable when I return my bike. At which point I guess they will give me a no charge oil change with filter.
I'm really disappointed. My bike still looks brand new. I only drive it when its between 70 and 90 degrees, never in the rain, and even then I only ride it to church on Sunday mornings.
I purchase expensive maintenance agreements for my bike for the peace of mind but now I wonder if I'm just wasting my cash. Does anybody know where I can take my bike for service in the Dallas, Texas area where they will legitimately work on my bike? And know what they are doing? Do you guys think my concerns are legitimate?
I have an associates degree in Electronics and another degree in Mechatronics (the merging of electrical and mechanical engineering). I also have the service manual. Should I just start doing things myself? Sometimes I read the mechanical suggestion's on this forum and think it is beyond me.
Flo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damn you've put on twice the kiles I have with half the time! Having said that, is it possible when you had the 10k service done, that the dealer didnt put in the correct amount of oil? Or worse, that they didn't put oil in it at all?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible they didn't put in the correct amount of oil, but I think they didn't change the oil or filter at all. I have scoured the oil filter so that next time I will know for sure if they changed the filter and oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Addendum: I had the check-up on Sept. 24 of 2019 and just took it back on July 3rd 2020. So I put on 1200 miles in 10 months and change. Seems like low mileage to me, 100 miles a month!

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
It's possible they didn't put in the correct amount of oil, but I think they didn't change the oil or filter at all. I have scoured the oil filter so that next time I will know for sure if they changed the filter and oil.
Best solution is to buy a Service manual buy any tools as needed and learn to do the work yourself. You will be $$$$$ ahead and know it was done right. Very few are pleased with HD dealers when it comes to working on a V rod. Makes you wonder what if anything else they did on the 10k service also. They do like to charge though.
Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 15 with just over 5k in mileage. Although I live in PA. Your riding season is much longer than mine! Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes get a manual and DIY. Saves money but I do it for peace of mind. If something is over your head then you can always take it to a stealer.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
First off check the oil level more often than once in 1200 Miles ! :oops: ! H-D says every fuel top up to check it but that's a bit crazy - maybe every 300 miles is more realistic. They may have shorted you a bit on oil, and it may burn a little and/or blow some out into the airbox so it wouldn't show on the dipstick. I always start mine after an oil change and shut it off & recheck after it drains back for 1/2 hour - I would NEVER let anyone wash my bike or change my oil but that's just me. You can do it and will probably even enjoy it. Don't over-torque anything. Try not using HD for V Rod service - just not recommended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that sounds good streetrodracer. That's what I'm gonna do. I also don't let anyone wash my bike. And when I wash my bike I don't use water. They checked the airbox and told me that it had a little oil but that that was normal. If I don't use HD for V Rod service, who should I use? I live about 10 miles North of Dallas, Texas. I was gonna purchase the HD motorcycle jack but shied away when I read the reviews. Do you know of a good jack on the market?

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
You're doing the right thing - check jack reviews, I've got a 20 year old Craftsman jack its OK but you don't need a jack for an oil change - in fact it's in the way of the drain plug. Just get an oil filter wrench that fits the filter with a long extension, socket or wrench that fits the drain plug and go for it. Righty Tighty Lefty Loosey. Snug plus 3/4 - 1 turn on the filter. Hand tighten the drain plug plus an open hand bop on the ratchet or wrench. Fill up the oil till it's at the top of the hash mark on the dipstick start it, get it warm, let it drain, top to the top of the hash mark in 1/2 hr and you're done. Tip - cut a plastic soda bottle in half or even a third lengthwise so it slips under the filter to catch the oil and so you can remove it without dumping it all over the floor. I know no one unfortunately for V Rod service in Dallas area but I'll guarantee they're out there - keep looking & good luck !

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been tricked before...and at the risk of being ridiculously obvious... be sure you check the oil in the right manner. The bike must be warmed up and on the side stand. You must wait 3-5 minutes after shutting the engine off to let the oil drain down to the sump. If you check the oil cold or immediately after shutting off the engine, it will read 1/2 to a full quart low.

·
Gator
8 Posts
Best solution is to buy a Service manual buy any tools as needed and learn to do the work yourself. You will be $$$$$ ahead and know it was done right. Very few are pleased with HD dealers when it comes to working on a V rod. Makes you wonder what if anything else they did on the 10k service also. They do like to charge though.
Ron
Good advice, I just had the 40K done on mine...$1,100 with new tires...ouch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check vrod oil hot and standing straight up; a wheel chock for the front wheel is handy if you cant get a helper/tool girl ;)
BUY A HD SERVICE MANUAL.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Mazdance where did you come up with that procedure ? Per the owners manual the bike is NOT to be on the sidestand. As Moosecapades says it's gotta be warm or hot and straight up - sit on the bike, reach with your left hand unscrew, wipe, screw in the dipstick then unscrew & check level, adjust as required to full. Cold upright NOT on the sidestand it should be about half way up the hash marks on the dipstick for a quick pre-ride check.. Hot refer to first procedure on a level surface. Nothing using jiffy stand ( at an angle ) in any cold or hot engine case per the owners manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mazdance where did you come up with that procedure ? Per the owners manual the bike is NOT to be on the sidestand. As Moosecapades says it's gotta be warm or hot and straight up - sit on the bike, reach with your left hand unscrew, wipe, screw in the dipstick then unscrew & check level, adjust as required to full. Cold upright NOT on the sidestand it should be about half way up the hash marks on the dipstick for a quick pre-ride check.. Hot refer to first procedure on a level surface. Nothing using jiffy stand ( at an angle ) in any cold or hot engine case per the owners manual.
Uh, now I actually did know that. I've always checked it straight up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts